Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Am I weird? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is something that really, really, REALLY irritates me. It probably shouldn't but it does. An example happened yesterday.

I am driving home from work, and it's a beautiful evening. The light of day has nearly faded, it's cool outside, not humid, but not cold either. Absolutely fantastic. I, as you may know, own a 2000 Ford Mustang Convertible. She's 8 years old and just turned 147,000 miles. And I have the top down nearly all the time when it isn't raining, snowing, or below 40 degrees F (4C). So imagine my suprise on my way home when 5 of the 8 convertibles I saw during my drive home had the top up!

Later that evening, a girl with a beautiful 2003 or 2004 Mustang Cobra Convertible was driving home. Top and windows up. I'm guessing she's a spoiled little so-and-so and her dad bought it for her because he couldn't think of other ways to hemmorage money.

So I have to ask:

Why do these people have the top up!? They spent a premium for that cloth top, why aren't they using it? I can only think of these reasons:

Too Hot/Cold. Well, thats fine...but this was THE perfect convertible day. If you're that picky about it, you probably have the top down once or twice a YEAR. Buy a hardtop.

Just got hair done. I can buy this one, at least for the girls...hairdos are expensive. But it's still weak tea. Buy a hardtop.

Can't hear cell phone with top down. I have an easy fix for this one. HANG UP THE GOD DAMN PHONE AND DRIVE! This isn't an excuse, it's just an additional reason to hate you.

I bought a convertible because I want to show people I have money, but don't actually intend to have the top down because I don't enjoy convertibles, or even really like cars except as a way to show my superiority to others. I think this is probably the truth.

Thoughts?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:


Thoughts?


Your a regular on boardgamegeek.com. Yes you are weird.
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
unixrevolution wrote:


Thoughts?


Your a regular on boardgamegeek.com. Yes you are weird.


Granted But I'm wondering if I think this way about convertibles because I'm a gearhead, or because it's a sentiment shared with a lot of people.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In answer to your question:

You are no weirder than the rest of us.


In response to the female driver, I can give you the female point of view.

One possibility is safety. A woman driving alone is unfortunately considered an easy target by the criminal element. It is not safe for women to have their windows open and their doors unlocked when driving.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So let me get this straight... your car is a 2000 model and it's 8 years old? The hell you say!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, this is a trick question isn't it! I hate retorical questions!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So why is it important that they do the same thing you do?
What real difference does it make in your life?

Get this...some people buy games and then don't play them...the horror!


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
So why is it important that they do the same thing you do?
What real difference does it make in your life?

Get this...some people buy games and then don't play them...the horror!


I know it *shouldn't* bother me, but it does anyway.

People who buy games they don't play (or at least, don't intend to play) are also broken.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
So let me get this straight... your car is a 2000 model and it's 8 years old? The hell you say!


As you may or may not be aware, Detroit releases new model year cars in the fall. Therefore, a 2000 Ford Mustang could have a build date anywhere from August 1999 to July 2000. Mine, being a June 2000 build date, is actually a rather late 2000 model.

EDIT: A good example. My dad's 1965 Ford Thunderbird was the 5050th built that year, and was built August 16, 1964.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A guy I work with has a ragtop and I've heard him make the same comment. He says he's going to start holding up a sign: "IF NOT TODAY, WHEN?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
A guy I work with has a ragtop and I've heard him make the same comment. He says he's going to start holding up a sign: "IF NOT TODAY, WHEN?"


That sounds like a good idea. "If not today, When?" on one side, and "Why is the top up?" on the other.

I really am completely clueless as to why someone would spend the premium for the car's entire chassis to be reworked and a powered folding top put in, just to leave it up all the time. Buy a hardtop, it's cheaper and doesn't leak!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a convertible also (1991 Mazda MX-5, oddly this is the 2nd time in a week I've mentioned my card on BGG).

Three things would make me have the top up in nice weather:

1) Clouds in the distance. I have to drive 17 miles home, across a ridge, and once in a while nice looking clouds at work turn into rain once I'm over that ridge. It only takes one shower to make a drive home with the top up become miserable.

2) Morning. Going straight from the shower to a convertible makes your hair freeze in shapes that are not intended by nature.

3) Long highway drive. Top down when you tool around town is tons of fun. 3 hours of 70MPH wind buffeting your head as you shout at the person sitting next to you is a drag.

So yes, you are weird. There are good reasons to have tho top up on a nice day! Being a feminist doesn't mean you *HAVE* to vote for a woman candidate, it means you want the choice of voting for a woman candidate. Having a convertible doesn't mean you *HAVE* to have the top down whenever possible, it means you want the choice of having the top down!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was planning on buying a Mini Cooper convertible last year, but after thinking it over, I realized that I would hardly ever drive with the top down. Too dangerous on highways (debris, weather, etc.), not safe in certain areas, and a pain when parking.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I have a convertible also (1991 Mazda MX-5, oddly this is the 2nd time in a week I've mentioned my card on BGG).

Three things would make me have the top up in nice weather:

1) Clouds in the distance. I have to drive 17 miles home, across a ridge, and once in a while nice looking clouds at work turn into rain once I'm over that ridge. It only takes one shower to make a drive home with the top up become miserable.

2) Morning. Going straight from the shower to a convertible makes your hair freeze in shapes that are not intended by nature.

3) Long highway drive. Top down when you tool around town is tons of fun. 3 hours of 70MPH wind buffeting your head as you shout at the person sitting next to you is a drag.

So yes, you are weird. There are good reasons to have tho top up on a nice day! Being a feminist doesn't mean you *HAVE* to vote for a woman candidate, it means you want the choice of voting for a woman candidate. Having a convertible doesn't mean you *HAVE* to have the top down whenever possible, it means you want the choice of having the top down!


1. Clouds: Perfectly Reasonable. Though I have a 15-second power top and it's not a huge deal to put it up when the rain starts, yours is a manual model and a bit harder

2. Morning: Also perfectly reasonable. Additionally, my top mildews if put down wet, so I never put it down right after rain or in the morning when it's got dew on it.

3. I've done Windows-up, top-down for 5 hours before. I guess the Mustang is a little less noisy and buffety than a little MX5. On our way to Indiana we put the top up in Ohio because Luke, who has long hair, told me his scalp hurt from the wind.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludocrazy wrote:
I was planning on buying a Mini Cooper convertible last year, but after thinking it over, I realized that I would hardly ever drive with the top down. Too dangerous on highways (debris, weather, etc.), not safe in certain areas, and a pain when parking.



I would argue about the safety on highways issue, but I applaud your decision.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
matthew.marquand wrote:

Get this...some people buy games and then don't play them...the horror!


And some people juggle geese!
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
It's Prime Day! Tons of alright games at ok prices! /sarcasm
Avatar
mbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
below 40 degrees F (4C)


This reminded me of a time when I went to a wedding in Ohio a few years back. The rental car company didn't have anyone "downstairs" to get my cheap compact car, so I got a convertible for the same price (it was October). I also met some friends that flew out as well from California. While my one buddy went with my other friend in his car. My other buddy and I hopped in the "sweet ride." Even though it was around freezing we put the top down and drove back into Columbus. It was awesome, even though I could hardly feel my hands attempting to hold the wheel. Many locals were very impressed. We also would have driven with the top down all the way to Wooster, but one of my friends' wife was sick and sitting in the back. Still, top down back to the airport. Nothing like cruising with the top down to make you feel alive!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Okay, let's solve this.

Poll
Is unixrevolution weird?
Yes
No
      55 answers
Poll created by Csigs
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Csigs wrote:
Okay, let's solve this.

Poll
Is unixrevolution weird?
Yes
No
      55 answers
Poll created by Csigs


For the record, I voted yes.

I think i'll be using this poll a lot in the future.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
I bought a convertible because I want to show people I have money, but don't actually intend to have the top down because I don't enjoy convertibles, or even really like cars except as a way to show my superiority to others. I think this is probably the truth.

Thoughts?

Is the point of this thread to show all of us that you own a convertible and are, therefore, superior to us (not just us, but to other convertible owners who don't know when to put the top down)?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
unixrevolution wrote:
I bought a convertible because I want to show people I have money, but don't actually intend to have the top down because I don't enjoy convertibles, or even really like cars except as a way to show my superiority to others. I think this is probably the truth.

Thoughts?

Is the point of this thread to show all of us that you own a convertible and are, therefore, superior to us (not just us, but to other convertible owners who don't know when to put the top down)?


The point to this thread is that if you buy a convertible, buy it to enjoy it, not to show off your check-writing ability like some upper-class twit. Actually, my convertible is pretty basic. V6 (rather than the Mustang's optional V8), cloth seats, and 4 years old when I bought it 4 years ago. I don't think anyone would be impressed with it knowing it cost less than the cheapest new Hyundai at time of purchase.

When I see all these people in convertibles with the top up, I can't help but think they don't care about the car at all...they just know it was expensive, and their neighbors will see it and be jealous, and that's all they care about.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked a friend of mine the same question and she said she rarely bothered because she felt it was a hassle getting it open and closed, and she really didn't like leaving her car unattended with the top down.

So basic laziness and low level paranoia.







1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gecko23 wrote:
I asked a friend of mine the same question and she said she rarely bothered because she felt it was a hassle getting it open and closed, and she really didn't like leaving her car unattended with the top down.

So basic laziness and low level paranoia.


I hope she had a manual top. My car's power top is so pifflingly easy I can do it at a traffic light with one hand.

The main thing I worry about with the top down is stuff flying out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
In answer to your question:

You are no weirder than the rest of us.


In response to the female driver, I can give you the female point of view.

One possibility is safety. A woman driving alone is unfortunately considered an easy target by the criminal element. It is not safe for women to have their windows open and their doors unlocked when driving.



She'd be much less of a target in a car with a metal roof.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Face it, Erik, you're a convertible snob. devil
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.