Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about spells rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Igor Malicki
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi there I'm new Arkham player and so far i like it. It is the first "different" game i bought, usual ones being Risk.

But im afraid i don't get spell mechanic very well.

1. What is the point of using spells when they do sanity damage. At first i thought that professor is the only one worth having as spellcaster but then i read somewhere that his ability doesn't affect spells. So second one in mind is the lady that restores sanity in upkeep phase.

2. What is the best "time/reason" for using spell like "Voice of Ra"?

3. And one non spell question. Say you come to the portal in some location with stationary monster guarding it. You go to the outer world come back and fail to seal the gate on first try. What happens next turn, first fight monster in movement phase then try sealing gate again in encounter phase?

Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Igor1234 wrote:
1. What is the point of using spells when they do sanity damage. At first i thought that professor is the only one worth having as spellcaster but then i read somewhere that his ability doesn't affect spells. So second one in mind is the lady that restores sanity in upkeep phase.

Spells are Magical Weapons (attack spells anyway) and thus get around Physical Immunity on some monsters. Yes, there are Magical Weapons in the Unique Item deck, but there are more spells. Sanity cost is IMO tied down to the call of cthulhu mythos, where you can't meddle around with things like Tomes and Spells without going bonkers (only know about CoC rpg though, haven't read any Lovecraft books). Then there are those really good spells, like Find Gate, which can almost be called an ace card.

Quote:

IIRC, that's an Upkeep spell, so during Upkeep . Say, for someone like Marie Lambeau (from DH expansion) who starts with it, I tend to look around and think what she'll do this turn, and does she need the extra die for something. If she is going to do combat with a tougher monster (2+ toughness) AND I can take the 1 Sanity cost for the spell while keeping enough that I can fail the Horror check and not go bonkers, it's worth a try. Of course, if you can get your hands on Seven Books of Hsan (IIRC), spam that Voice 1/turn mercilessly.

Another time I like to pop in the Voice is during the Upkeep of a turn I'll be returning from an OW. If Voice is successful, that gives me 1 more die for the close/seal roll.

Quote:
3. And one non spell question. Say you come to the portal in some location with stationary monster guarding it. You go to the outer world come back and fail to seal the gate on first try. What happens next turn, first fight monster in movement phase then try sealing gate again in encounter phase?

First, when moving to a gate with a monster, you need to either evade or kill it.

Second, when returning and failing the close/seal roll on the first turn, you need to evade or kill the monster(s) before you can try to close/seal the gate on the 2nd turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:

Second, when returning and failing the close/seal roll on the first turn, you need to evade or kill the monster(s) before you can try to close/seal the gate on the 2nd turn.

I thought it was impossible to close a gate when returning (on the first turn), that you HAD to wait until the next? Does anyone know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolger wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:

I thought it was impossible to close a gate when returning (on the first turn), that you HAD to wait until the next? Does anyone know?

You return to Arkham gate location from OW on your MOVEMENT phase...you may attempt to close/seal the gate during the ARKHAM ENCOUNTER phase. So YES, you may do it upon return (and usually should!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Wareing
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bolger wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:

The turn sequence is upkeep; movement; Arkham encounter; other world encounter; mythos.

So, going through a gate, you move into the location in movement, encounter the gate in the Arkham encounter phase, and then have an other world encounter in the other world encounter phase (in the first space of the other world track).

The following turn, you move to the second space of the other world track, and then have an other world encounter.

On the third turn, you leave the second space, returning to Arkham, and attempt to close the gate in the Arkham encounter phase.

If you fail to close the gate, then on the fourth turn, you have to evade/fight any resident monsters during the movement phase, and attempt again to close the gate in the Arkham encounter phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Igor1234 wrote:
Hi there I'm new Arkham player and so far i like it. It is the first "different" game i bought, usual ones being Risk.

But im afraid i don't get spell mechanic very well.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to BGG and to the wonderful game of Arkham Horror! The complexity of AH is high, especially for someone only exposed to games like Risk, so be patient. It is worth the wait and you have a great resource for help here at BGG. In case through all the replies you are confused on the answers to your questions:

1. Spells cost sanity because they are powerful and they give insight to the mind numbing mythos (not a good thing). The whole theme of Lovecraftian literature (that the game is based on) is that as people learn more about how (horrifying) things really are, they are slowly driven mad by the knowledge. Using powers of the Mythos against itself is not without a price... Fighting the Mythos is a slow spiral to insanity.

3. You instantly enter a gate when you enter a location that has a gate (or one opens up in a location you are in due to an event, mythos card, etc.). You would bypass any monsters there and go straight to the first area of the other world indicated by the gate. When you come out of a gate from the other world, you are able to try to close/seal the gate without encountering any monsters as well. However, if you fail to close the gate, or the monster isn't removed because its symbol doesn't match the gate, that monster will remain and you will have to evade it during your next movement phase or fight in the encounter phase if you did not (or choose not to) evade.

Keep us posted on how you are enjoying the game and let us know how we can help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Grimstax wrote:
3. You instantly enter a gate when you enter a location that has a gate (or one opens up in a location you are in due to an event, mythos card, etc.). You would bypass any monsters there and go straight to the first area of the other world indicated by the gate. When you come out of a gate from the other world, you are able to try to close/seal the gate without encountering any monsters as well. However, if you fail to close the gate, or the monster isn't removed because its symbol doesn't match the gate, that monster will remain and you will have to evade it during your next movement phase or fight in the encounter phase if you did not (or choose not to) evade.

The bold phrases are not correct. (Sorry to do that to you Ed!)

You do not "instantly" move through the gate but follow the Phases step by step. Moving is Phase 2 and would place you at the location of the gate. Going through the gate is Phase 3. Since monsters are encountered in Phase 2, they do need to be dealt with before moving into through the gate in Phase 3. You can attempt to evade them or beat them, but you must engage them somehow.

The only time you "instantly" go through the gate and avoid monsters would be if the gate opens during an encounter or the Mythos phase. And as has been stated you get to ignore the monster the first turn you return to Arkham as well. This "bonus" will only be granted if you return during the normal cours of events during movement in Phase 2. If you move back in Phase 4 or 5, then your opportunity to ignore is closed before the next Phase 2 period comes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick thank you for the answers to my added little question. I think (only tried it solo a few times, just bought it) that I have been waiting one turn too long to close the gates. This should definitely speed things up! Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.