Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Mr. Jack» Forums » Sessions

Subject: How Goodley and Abberline saved the day euhm night... but whose day rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thijs Lauwbierkoffie
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
www.spellenclubapeldoorn.nl
badge
Kom spellen spelen bij de Spellenclub Apeldoorn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Background of me and the game

A few weeks ago I discovered this site, and after reading some reviews and watching some pictures (the look of the game is important for me). I decided to go to my FLGS (I believe that is the word used for it here ) and purchased Mr. Jack. After two games I was totally hooked to it. The tactics, the theme, the blunder moments, the messing with each other's mind: I loved it. So within one week after buying the base game and reading some reviews, I bought the Extension. Choosing the characters and placing them: it made the game only juicier.

But then I made a mistake. I started to play the game online. The messing with the mind was lost, no laughing when another player made a blunder, no evil smiles when Jack managed to escape: it became a brain burner. And when I realized that I was loosing the fun in the game, it was almost too late. ALMOST. I decided to stop playing online and leave Mr.Jack for a while, returned to the geek, bought a new game (Race for the Galaxy) and enjoyed it. After being off the Mr. Jack for 1.5 weeks it was time for Jack to rape and kill again.
Enjoy my first report.

Game

Mr. Jack with Extension

Players

Thijs as Jack, me, 22 years old, student Molecular Life sciences
Pieter as the Detective, a house mate, 23 years old, student Arabic language

Time of the crime

22:15 Sunday September 21th 2008

The session

A scream in the foggy night, a woman’s scream. A dark figure runs away from the body into an alley of Whitechapel. The police is warned. Then Holmes, Smith, Lestrade, Bert, Goodley, Abberline and the local weirdo: Spring Healed Man arrive. Madame, with some wounds in her face that oddly look like shaving cuts, greets them and tells them how luckily she was to already be there so that she could give them some hints. Lestrade starts blocking some exits and the investigation can start, but as good tradition in the police force, the donut break is Holy so Jack can better be caught before that.

Like you can read in the intro Goodley, Abberline (chosen by the detective) Madame and Spring Heeled Man (chosen by Jack) were the additional characters in this game. The Madame alibi card was drawn by Jack. After that the characters were placed. Jack placed all his characters nearby the exits ready to escape and the detective placed his characters more in the centre.

The first 5 rounds went pretty well for Jack. At the beginning of round 6 there were still four suspects and the detective was almost convinced that Abberline was Mr. Jack because the Jack player focussed a little bit more on him. But then a HUGE blunder by Jack, he forced (by his first action that round) the detective to move Madame into the dark and the rest in the light, because that was the only way for him to reduce the number of suspects to three. But because Madame WAS Jack, there was only one suspect left: Madame. Jack banged his head against the door and he was sure he would loose the game, but would he?

At the start of round 7 Madame was ready to escape being in the dark and nearby the exit and she was a little bit isolated. Most of the other characters were standing around Abberline and a closed manhole. SO they were very immobile. Madame was chosen by the inspector and placed upon the closed manhole and nearby the group around Abberline so she could not escape and could be arrested. After that Jack was forced to pick two characters who were able to arrest Madame. The last character left that round was Bert and the inspector used him to open up the manhole beneath Madame so she was more reachable.

Jack thought all hope was lost, but then Goodley showed up (Jack could have known that of course) and then he knew what had to be done. He picked Goodley and whistled Madame away from the group. And because all remaining potential arresters were nearby Abberline (who still kept asking annoying questions although everybody knew who Jack was)or simply too far away, no one could reach Madame. So not being arrested at the end of round 8 and with the police force back to the donut break, Jack won the game!

For the first time were Abberline and Goodley the best friends of mr. Jack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice first report, and a good ending with Abberline being used to keep the Detective from being able to reach Jack! Winning as Jack with Jack identified but unable to be reached in time is always tense and peculiarly satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.