Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh O'Bryan
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there going to be any software for making your own scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been some discussion about this already:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/339976
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/333950

Although to be honest it's probably good to bring it up again, as we really haven't heard any response on this. The original plan was just to provide all the graphics necessary for someone to make it up in a graphics editor, and you would submit it and Uwe would clean it up and post it on the web. Kind of a tedious process, but it would work.

It would be nice to have editors like Tide of Iron or Battlelore, although you have to realize that Days of Wonder and Fantasy Flight Games are much larger companies and have far more resources to work with than Uwe and Academy Games.

Still, I hope something like this appears, whether official or fan-produced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure you could use this:

http://www.hexdraw.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. What are the trial version's limitations? The full version is $50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
Interesting. What are the trial version's limitations? The full version is $50.

Don't know. I've played with it, but never actually finished a map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
There has been some discussion about this already:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/339976
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/333950

Although to be honest it's probably good to bring it up again, as we really haven't heard any response on this. The original plan was just to provide all the graphics necessary for someone to make it up in a graphics editor, and you would submit it and Uwe would clean it up and post it on the web. Kind of a tedious process, but it would work.

It would be nice to have editors like Tide of Iron or Battlelore, although you have to realize that Days of Wonder and Fantasy Flight Games are much larger companies and have far more resources to work with than Uwe and Academy Games.

Still, I hope something like this appears, whether official or fan-produced.

Note though, that FFG has nothing to do with the ToI editor which is created by the game designer on his own time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonjac wrote:

Note though, that FFG has nothing to do with the ToI editor which is created by the game designer on his own time.

Well, I don't believe Uwe has the technical skills to pull that off, so I'd say that getting one from Academy Games, at least any time soon, is even less likely.

But, the right fan can make a huge difference. Just check out VirtualScape for Heroscape - you can design maps with any expansion and then can view it in full 3-D. It's pretty impressive stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Devine
United States
Silver Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could probably write a Windows map maker in a couple of weeks. If I had to write one that worked with Mac/Linux it would take longer. It shouldn't be too hard. I will look into some SunTzu/VASSaL. I would need the map graphics and counter graphics as scanning them in would not look as good. But, this should be simple enough. What would someone need in a scenario editor? Would they want customizable map boards or the current boards with the ability to put starting placement, reinforcements and then print up a Firefight sheet?

Just thinking out loud...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be awesome Kevin if you could throw something together.

I think we'd want just the current available boards (the 5 in the game plus the swamp board), the ability to join them up however we'd like, and maybe even the ability to have one folded in half (like the Mogilev bonus firefight.)

And then yeah, the ability to add a text paragraph, starting placements, and probably just various random labels (like A, B, C, etc.) that can be added to the map and referred to in the text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Devine
United States
Silver Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:

I think we'd want just the current available boards (the 5 in the game plus the swamp board), the ability to join them up however we'd like, and maybe even the ability to have one folded in half (like the Mogilev bonus firefight.)

And then yeah, the ability to add a text paragraph, starting placements, and probably just various random labels (like A, B, C, etc.) that can be added to the map and referred to in the text.

Ok, I put together a proof-of-concept of this which can be downloaded here:
http://www.reversepolarity.com/CoHScenarioEditor.zip

This is not complete by any stretch of the imagination. It allows you to select mapboards and place counters on them. That part isn't even done yet, but I wanted some eyes on what I am doing before I get too much more into it.

Don't waste time typing stuff into the title or description fields, they don't do anything right now. You cannot print anything and you cannot place units on the board, yet...

Please take a quick look by checking a few mapboards, playing with the placement page and the non-combat counters page.

Thanks,
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:

And as a final touch, make it have the same look as the official scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin, I am checking this, thanks.

I have been using ZunTzu to make new map layouts. The added benefit is that the firefights can then be tested online against any opponents. This will be available to all within a week I think.

If the firefights playtest well, I can then have them layed out like all of the published firefights and post them under the designers name on the CoH website.

Uwe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh,
We did finally release our Firefight Generator for Awakening the Bear last fall. Always meant to post this to this thread.
Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.