Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A thread on 18xx on the ilse of wight reminded me of soemthing which has occurred to me frequently while playing with my son's Thomas Trains. How cool would it be to build up a bunch of hexes with Thomas style track for an 18xx game. This seems prohibatively expensive using the store bought track, but I imagine using a router on plywood hexes would not be too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But to be true to Sodor the track would have to be flawed to allow the automatic train derailment accidents every hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

xx
msg tools
Funny you should mention that.
I am in the process of making a wooden, enlarged copy of Age of Steam. I have already made maps (the hexes are about 1 1/2 inches across), and am in the process of cutting track out of 1/4" thick sheets of wood (oak). I then put label stickers of the track on the top of the cut wood. This is about the size so that the small trains of Railroad Tycoon are roughly to scale (i.e. the 'track' is about 1/3 to 1/2 inch wide) (and in fact I use those small plastic trains as track ownership markers). In other words, I don't use hexes with track printed on them: I have cut out 1/3 inch wide track to use as playing pieces.

I haven't finished yet (about 150 track pieces gets boring to cut out). But it looks good.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd have to find a way to say "Thomas was cross" a lot while playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually thinking of doing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
You'd have to find a way to say "Thomas was cross" a lot while playing.

and "Bust my Boiler!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Cinders and ashes!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.