Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to address issues with balancing, the expansion has changed several aspects of the original base game, including the rules, the starting setup, and the Hero/Wonder cards. I've already dealt with the rule changes in this thread: A Definitive Guide to the Official and Essential Game-Balancing Rule Modifications. But now what about the cards that have been revised?

Eleven of the Hero & Wonder cards have been tweaked:

When playing with the original base game, should these expansion cards be used to improve the game balance?

The expansion rulebook explains these changes as follows:
Quote:
"Why are some of the heroes and Wonders from the basic game included in this expansion with modified abilities?"
"This was done to address game balance issues that arise with the addition of a 6th player and the abilities of all the new heroes. Certain heroes and wonders from the basic game seemed to be inadequate when compared to the new heroes in the expansion, and thus would tend to be ignored by the players. Therefore, the author decided to redesign their abilities for more balanced play in the new game."

But are they also necessary for more balanced play with the original game? Will they correct some of the original imbalances, or will they create new imbalances?

Here is a complete list of the changes:

Revised Wonders:
Hanging Gardens: Keep 2 Commodity Cards after Construction (instead of 1)
Mausoleum: Influence markers cost one less (instead of just cities/caravans/markets/temples)
Lighthouse: Get one free influence marker when acquired (instead of none)
Statue of Zeus: Get one free fortress when acquired (instead of none)

Revised Heros:
Agamemnon: +3 towards Director of Commerce (instead of +2)
Archimedes: +3 towards Military Leader (instead of +2)
Solomon: +3 toward Political Leader (instead of +2)
Nebuchadnezzar: Sacking caravan gives Commodity, sacking city gives Tax card (instead of Resource of choice)
Caesar: Fortresses cost 3 to build (instead of 2)
Pericles: Get one free Trireme at start of game (instead of none)
Hannibal: Get one free Legion at start of game (instead of none)

Many of these changes are essential for improving game balance (eg Pericles, Hannibal, Caesar). But are all these changes good improvements to adopt for the base game? For example, are the changes for Agamemnon, Archimedes and Solomon worthwhile, or are they only necessary when playing with the new and stronger Hero cards that come with the expansion?

I'm personally inclined to substitute all of these cards from the original game with the revised cards from the expansion, to improve the base game, but I'm wondering if others can testify whether this will create new imbalances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know... really old thread...
However, has any one any experience with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moelker
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When I play, I use the modified rules that affect Civ-specific heroes. So, Carthage starts with a legion and Greece gets the free trireme & intercept ability and Rome has to pay full price for fortresses. As long as you implement those changes, the game is much more balanced and that's all that's essential. The other cards people choose to purchase anyways; some are "better" than others, but since you don't start with them and must race to purchase them then it is still fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bettsworth
United Kingdom
St Neots
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
I have just bought the French version of the expansion. Does anybody know where I could get hold of a copy of the English rules for the expansion, or at least those bits of them that differ from the base game, which I have? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.