United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
According to the Daily Show you can buy 2000 McDonald's hot apple pies for every American.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
700b is probably not enough for a human mission to Mars that lands there and comes back. Landing a man on Mars is rather achievable, albeit very expensive. Leaving Mars' gravitational pull and returning to Earth? Not all that easy. How do we get the fuel there? Do we try to make it there? If so, how many months/years it would take to make the fuel? How do we make a vehicle that get through the atmosphere and be safe enough to take off again?

700b is a lot of money, but our technology is lacking in so many areas I'd not be confident that such a budget would be enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps that is enough to purchase Mr. Skeletor's mercy -- doubtful, but perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
It's My T.A.R.D.I.S.
badge
Galifreyan is hard to read
mbmbmbmbmb
it has been determined that the elements exist to make fuel there on mars to return to low orbit to the main ship that will remain in orbit like our command ship did for Apollo, will be fairly easy, protecting against radiation on the way to and back from mars wall be very costly and a problem they have not worked out yet. food also is an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We could buy the GDP of Australia.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pwn3d wrote:
MrSkeletor wrote:
Wind Turbines?
Worst form of power there is. Unstable, expensive to maintain, inefficient from a cost to output scale and an eyesore.
Brain I thought you were smarter than that.

I would rather own 1 wind turbine than 2.5 million in
NINJA (No Income, No Jobs, No Assets) loans.

I would just rather own some Ninjas ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
It's My T.A.R.D.I.S.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kansas not good considering tornadoes, coastal areas would be better due to constant wind from or out to the sea.
clarify 'unstable" I don't understand that concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
With $700,000,000,000 we could buy back about 1/14th of the national debt or about 1/8th of the net public debt.

Oh. Um, oops.

edit: how embarrasing, I left off three zeros! OMG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Who said anything about coming back? I have a few suggestions of astronauts....

hibikir wrote:
700b is probably not enough for a human mission to Mars that lands there and comes back. Landing a man on Mars is rather achievable, albeit very expensive. Leaving Mars' gravitational pull and returning to Earth? Not all that easy. How do we get the fuel there? Do we try to make it there? If so, how many months/years it would take to make the fuel? How do we make a vehicle that get through the atmosphere and be safe enough to take off again?

700b is a lot of money, but our technology is lacking in so many areas I'd not be confident that such a budget would be enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
whac3 wrote:
Who said anything about coming back? I have a few suggestions of astronauts....

hibikir wrote:

Heck, send Robots. What is on Mars that really requires a Human Astronaut? You have to bring Humans BACK- if robots crash and burn on re-entry you just send another in, and it doesn't destroy the entire space program.

I mean, I'm a huge fan of the space program, but in terms of actual SCIENCE, we learn a LOT more with robotic probes than we do with astronauts- especially when you compare the costs for even the most expensive of Robotic missions vs. Human ones.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
When responding seriously I'm for sending robots 100%. They do more there for less and for longer.

When not answering seriously, I would suggest my PM and most of Knesset along with Chamas, Fatah and co.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Heck, send Robots. What is on Mars that really requires a Human Astronaut? You have to bring Humans BACK- if robots crash and burn on re-entry you just send another in, and it doesn't destroy the entire space program.

I mean, I'm a huge fan of the space program, but in terms of actual SCIENCE, we learn a LOT more with robotic probes than we do with astronauts- especially when you compare the costs for even the most expensive of Robotic missions vs. Human ones.
Darilian

Hey, I'm with you on this one. Sending robots is much better in the short term. We don't need anything close to 700B to send robots though: You might have heard of a couple of robots called 'Spirit' and 'Opportunity': NASA sent them both for under a billion. For 700 We could send an almighty army of robots, with lasers mounted on their heads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
pwn3d wrote:
Who gives a fuck about Mars? This is a pretty serious financial crisis.

Yah, but talking about Mars is a lot more fun.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
It's My T.A.R.D.I.S.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
that 2.5 million would come down if you bought in bulk so the price might be quite lower and you would certainly make a new millionaire of the company ceo. Oh wait do we need more of those?

NOT!
the CEO's of Freddie and Fannie should pay money not receive any
No Welfare for the Wealthy, enough is enough, power to the people, I mean if were going to be communist about all this then go all the way and start shooting politicians, and CEO's that the basic quarrel between fascism and communism anyway, Hey would this make a good game?

:gulp::devil::bag::bag::bag::bag:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
If the wind conditions change you lose power. No wind and you get no power. This is why they normally build them on coastlines.

Wind conditions average out so that over a wide area such as a state you rarely get a dip in the power. Maybe where you are, they build windmills on coastlines, but in the USA, the biggest wind potential is away from the coast line and in the mountains. This map shows that the coastal southeast of the US is the worst wind energy site (blue areas), but the plains and the mountains where the land is cheaper (yellow orange red areas) are the best wind energy sites int the US.

In Texas, wind energy accounts for 4% of all the energy used in the state, and it is growing. At $4000 to $5000 per year per turbine, ranchers and farmers are rushing to lease land to get turbines. The production of electricity is outstripping the ability of transmission lines to carry it. You see wind farms growing everywhere, and I see 4 or 5 trucks a day hauling blades on the highway. So at least for Texas, wind is coming on strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely our number one concern should be to secure a few copies of Jeti. All of you are just BGGeek-pretenders here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snoo Py
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Btw, $700 B is the cost for one year in Iraq.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat R
United States
Peculiar
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of these men says give me $700 Billion dollars or your economy will explode. Guess which one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Wind Turbines?
Worst form of power there is. Unstable, expensive to maintain, inefficient from a cost to output scale and an eyesore.

Right, because this is certainly not an eyesore

or this

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Wind Turbines?

I actually think there's something really cool looking about wind farms. It's like a whole new type of landscape. One of the few man-made landscapes that I enjoy looking at!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Turbines are useless if the wind doesn't blow... which happens quite a bit. I think the best thing to do is to build a giant solar array in the USA's southwestern deserts. They might already be doing this... Anyone know more about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd pretty much have to turn all of Nevada into a solar farm to generate sufficient electricity from solar right now. Efficiency is improving, but it's still not the most effective way of producing energy.

Personally, I think that the "real green" initiative should focus more on local generation or conservation. Instead of building a massive solar plant, encourage folks to green up at the local level and reduce demand from the grid. Solar panels on homes, micro-hydro, geothermal heating, etc.

Then you're accomplishing something else that's important to the security of our power system - reducing stress on transmission facilities and the potential for cascading failures like the one that blacked out the northeast US and Canada.

Focusing on locally applicable technologies ultimately should have an economic benefit to the individual, provide "more real" energy independence, and reduces demand at the same time. That turns in to real savings both in money and carbon in the long run. And it lets communities find the best ways to handle the issues in an appropriate manner for the locality in question.

If you've got to haul all the power from a solar farm somewhere, then the cost is unlikely to be palatable due to the additional infrastructure that's required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
Turbines are useless if the wind doesn't blow... which happens quite a bit. I think the best thing to do is to build a giant solar array in the USA's southwestern deserts. They might already be doing this... Anyone know more about it?

From the American Wind Energy Association:
Quote:
A wind plant is "fueled" by the wind, which blows steadily at times and not at all at other times. Although modern utility-scale wind turbines typically operate 65% to 90% of the time, they often run at less than full capacity. Therefore, a capacity factor of 25% to 40% is common, although they may achieve higher capacity factors during windy weeks or months.

A list of big wind farms and big solar farms in the US is listed in these articles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_the_United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_the_United_State...

Edit: fixed link to wind power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shipp
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Wind Turbines?
Worst form of power there is.

Demonstrably untrue.

Randy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
700b is probably not enough for a human mission to Mars that lands there and comes back.

Who comes back? When did we start breeding such wussy astronauts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.