Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When is the formal schedule, or at least a draft of it, going to made available so we can start to have a look at what events are happening when?

Thanks! Looking forward to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
We will have these events, for sure:

Poker on Friday, Puzzle Hunt and Game Show on Satuday, a Flea Market in there somewhere, and other stuff too. We'll have schedules available...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
is there an online schedule that will come out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:

I've never been, but I'm going this year and it's my understanding that bgg.con is about 95% open gaming. No scheduled events. No time tables. No demos. Etc, etc, etc.

And the 5% are the events mentioned by derk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
sduke wrote:
Wake up. Eat, or not. Play games. Go to bed, or not. Repeat.

That is about my schedule. I did play the treasure hunt once, but I found it took away from my open gaming, so I stopped doing it. I did play poker though, but I suck so badly at it, I knew it wouldn't take too much time away from gaming.

1. Check in.
2. Grab Coffee, scone.
3. Game
4. Grab more coffee, scone.
5. Game
6. Fall asleep sometime in the wee hours.
7. Shower
8. If Sunday goto 10.
9. Goto 2.
10. Check out
11. Game.
12. Go home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belash wrote:
I've never been, but I'm going this year and it's my understanding that bgg.con is about 95% open gaming. No scheduled events. No time tables.

That's what makes the show so much fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mellby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the standard schedule:
Tuesday: arrive early
Wednesday:
Hang around trying to spot celebrities
Watch Derk test the PA system volume
Purchase earplugs
Play Games
Sunday:
Go home

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:
Belash wrote:
I've never been, but I'm going this year and it's my understanding that bgg.con is about 95% open gaming. No scheduled events. No time tables.

That's what makes the show so much fun.

And that's why I'm going to bgg.con and nowhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Only thing to make sure of, be in the main game room at 12:00 M for the Thoughthammer giveway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Clearly everyone else has answered already. Initially, we did very few scheduled events because we wanted to mitigate the overall organizational risk. Then we realized we liked it that way. Most of the gaming will be at your own pace, but we do put some really fun things to do that you can only do at a convention (like poker without money, or a puzzle hunt, or a game show).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the useful responses. I did not know it was 95% open gaming. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but just different from any large game convention I've been to (i.e Origins).

So for someone who wants to play, say, some wargames (The Napoleonic Wars, for example, in 5 player mode), do I just find a table and set it up and wait for others who want to play to join?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debbie Ohi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
YAY, a chance to play games during the DAY!! (I am cursed with morning person genes)
badge
I tweet about board gaming at @BGGgirl, about writing/illustrating at @inkyelbows.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait. This is going to be my Very First BoardGameGeek convention and I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas. I was at my first FanZone convention a little while ago and peeked into the gaming room.

There were two guys there with some boardgames. I took a deep breath (I'm totally inexperienced at the whole asking strangers if I can play boardgames with them thing) and asked if I could play. To my huge relief, they said YES.

We played Cover Up (which I liked quite a bit), Men & Martinis (wasn't so crazy about that one) and Star Wars Miniatures (ok but not my type of game). I had a huge amount of fun but only had a couple hours so had to leave to make the long trek back to north Toronto.

One of the reasons I'm so excited about BGG con is because I can play 'til I'm tired, then just crash in the hotel room. And I'm assuming people play games during the day, not just at night -- my brain tends to shut down after 10 pm or so.

Really looking forward to connecting faces to some of the BGG.com personalities I've seen around here. :-)

Debbie
(who has never been good at waiting)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
So for someone who wants to play, say, some wargames (The Napoleonic Wars, for example, in 5 player mode), do I just find a table and set it up and wait for others who want to play to join?

This thread is your friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
that's a great link, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
sduke wrote:
Wake up. Eat, or not. Play games. Go to bed, or not. Repeat.

That is about my schedule. I did play the treasure hunt once, but I found it took away from my open gaming, so I stopped doing it. I did play poker though, but I suck so badly at it, I knew it wouldn't take too much time away from gaming.

1. Check in.
2. Grab Coffee, scone.
3. Game
4. Grab more coffee, scone.
5. Game
6. Fall asleep sometime in the wee hours.
7. Shower
8. If Sunday goto 10.
9. Goto 2.
10. Check out
11. Game.
12. Go home.

What he said. Except I'll be doing breakfast at...*shudder*...Denny's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.