Subject: Risk Armies Preferences rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Woodward
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
To my knowledge, over the years the different editions of Risk have had at least five different motifs for the armies:

* blocks
* solider/cavalry/cannon
* Roman numbers
* star shapes
* arrows

Which do people like best? Which are easiest to use in play?

-JW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan,

Welcome to BGG. Why don't you do a poll.

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tho I only saw the roman numerals in person, saw the arrows and blocks in pictures, and only actually played with the infantry/calvary/cannons, I like the inf/cal/can best. Blocks look like they might be fun too. But the Roman Numerals and arrows don't look too appealing to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the metal infantry/cavalry/cannons in the 40th anniversary edition. They even come in nice pouches!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Woodward
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
oneilljgf wrote:
Why don't you do a poll?

Partly because I wanted discussion, not numbers. Partly because I haven't yet learned how.

I gather you have no opinion on the topic?

-JW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been partial to the stars myself. But I haven't played with the arrows yet, but they look intriuging. I rank them as below:

1. Stars
2. Roman Numerals
3. Soldiers/Cannons/Calvary.

I rank the SCC last because I dislike having more realistic pieces representing abstract units. To me, it doesn't make any sense to have a cannon or calvary represent 'multiple' armies. Sure the board looks nice, but it annoys. I guess it borders on pet peeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
Jonathan,

Welcome to BGG. Why don't you do a poll.

Jim
Est. 1949

ah, a nice warm welcome... how nice of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Woodward
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
kowalskie wrote:
ah, a nice warm welcome... how nice of you.

No worries, it was a reasonable question, even if it read as a bit gruff. And he did say "welcome". I choose to assume sincerity.

-JW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
woodwardiocom wrote:
oneilljgf wrote:
Why don't you do a poll?

Partly because I wanted discussion, not numbers. Partly because I haven't yet learned how.

I gather you have no opinion on the topic?

-JW

Oh dearie dearie me. It was a suggestion, not an instruction and as a wargamer, I would have to go with the little men. Give me cavalry, guns and wee sodjers anyday.

Now let's make that bigger:

A huge sincere and warm welcome to BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
I've always been partial to the stars myself. But I haven't played with the arrows yet, but they look intriuging. I rank them as below:

1. Stars
2. Roman Numerals
3. Soldiers/Cannons/Calvary.

I rank the SCC last because I dislike having more realistic pieces representing abstract units. To me, it doesn't make any sense to have a cannon or calvary represent 'multiple' armies. Sure the board looks nice, but it annoys. I guess it borders on pet peeve.

I see what you mean, but it is much more easy to differentiate a cannon from an infantry than different Roman Numerals. It's more simplistic in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally prefer either miniatures or the classic wooden blocks. Nothing puts fear into the heart of an opponent like a horde of blocks moving against them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Nothing puts fear into the heart of an opponent like a horde of blocks moving against them.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Phillips
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Star shapes. It's what I grew up on and link to Risk. Would love to try the game with blocks, though. Arrows would seem useful since you can point out which territory you're going to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Star shapes. It's what I grew up on and link to Risk. Would love to try the game with blocks, though.

Blocks are much easier to stack.

Welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Quote:
Star shapes. It's what I grew up on and link to Risk. Would love to try the game with blocks, though.

Blocks are much easier to stack.

Welcome to BGG!

Well...that's true of the square ones...but those little triangle shaped ones fall over when I try to stack them.

Oh, the stars remind me of Alien spacecraft...or that old game Ploy.

Now, Roman Numerals...the weight of the Empire...subtle reminders of tower clocks and time...tempis fugit...and who can miss the fear behind the eyes of an opponent when you shove a few XXXs across the territorial border and invade. Ahhh, that is real POWER my friends. Why, I remember the invasion of Irkutsk like it was only yesterday...

My ultimate preference is for little soldiers, though. If I were king, all the Risk games and all the Risk pieces would be little soldiers, cannons, and cavalrymen.

WelcomeblanktoblankBoardblankGameblankGeek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.