xx
msg tools
I will be playing the game for the first time later this week, and for the first time noticed an oddity.

The Flank Defensive DR for each unit is above the Front Defensive DR on each counter. This is odd in two ways:
1) Its counterintuitive, and contrary to other games I'm familiar with (I guess that's only the Squad Leader series).
2) It contradicts the layout of the CoH counters. On the CoH counters, the 'front' of the unit is the top of the unit. The 'back' of the unit is the bottom. Yet the 'front' armor/defense modifier is on the bottom, and the 'flank' (side and back) armor/defense modifer is on the top.

Was there a reason for this layout?

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Savage
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve, yeah I felt the same way, it just takes some getting used to is all, but I agree with your assessment that the numbers should be reversed. Don't let that stop you from enjoying a really great game system though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the exact same reaction. Weird that no playtesters mentioned it (or they did and it was too late to change I suppose).

side note: "playtesters" shows up as incorrectly spelled. Can we just vote on BGG that this is actually a word

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the idea for this is that the primary attributes for the units were to be on the corners of the counters. Most encounters will probably be on the front of the counter unless there is no way to swap facing before being attacked so the front DR is in the corner. This also makes sense with the hit counter modifiers as well.

I was at first a little bothered by this, but I got over it quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Harvey
United States
Riverview
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
presence wrote:
I think the idea for this is that the primary attributes for the units were to be on the corners of the counters.

Absolutely, four corners made perfect sense when i first saw it.

The REAL question is why HIGHLIGHT the lower flank value, drawing visual attention to it every time you look at a unit on the board?

Most of the time during a game, you're looking for the front arc value, and my eye always is drawn to that highlighted flank value first.

I've been curious about this design decision for awhile now- maybe I've missed something glaringly obvious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Paraguay wrote:
2) It contradicts the layout of the CoH counters. On the CoH counters, the 'front' of the unit is the top of the unit. The 'back' of the unit is the bottom. Yet the 'front' armor/defense modifier is on the bottom, and the 'flank' (side and back) armor/defense modifer is on the top.

I had the same reaction.
They should have been inverted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really care. :-) The game is glorious, and this is really, really stretching it. All in good fun, though.

Chris Montgomery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In the very early editions, the front and flank ratings were side by side like the FP. But as the counter design progressed, the stats were too bunched and I just slipped one up. If I had to do it over, I would probably reverse the two. But what can I do now. (NO, I can't just send everyone new counters!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Savage
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
son of a.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe

it's all good... don't change the counters even if you could. I don't like the shape of the bishops in my chess set, or the fact that as I get older, rules and counters (CoH excepted) seem to use smaller print, or that the colours of the plastic pieces in Buckaroo are too vivid ...but that doesn't change the game itself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'd rather be gaming...
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:
In the very early editions, the front and flank ratings were side by side like the FP. But as the counter design progressed, the stats were too bunched and I just slipped one up. If I had to do it over, I would probably reverse the two. But what can I do now. (NO, I can't just send everyone new counters!)

Maybe something to consider for the 2nd edition printing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Changing the counter layout now will only probably only contribute to additional confusion and headaches for everyone. I think since it has went to press this way, we are kinda stuck with it. It may not be completely intuitive, but I don't think it breaks anything keeping it this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozvortex wrote:
Maybe something to consider for the 2nd edition printing?

I'd call it a really bad idea to flip the location of values between printings, or even editions. Way too confusing for anyone who started with the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it makes sense to see the front DR as down in the corner. That really makes it come into focus. I played yesterday with that new insight and I wasn't confused at all. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S G
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
presence wrote:
Changing the counter layout now will only probably only contribute to additional confusion and headaches for everyone. I think since it has went to press this way, we are kinda stuck with it. It may not be completely intuitive, but I don't think it breaks anything keeping it this way.

Agreed -- don't change it. However, there are various visual design techniques that can make it obvious which one is which (subject to the limitations of the printing process). For example, lowering the contrast of one or the other (depending on which one you want to emphasize), and of course the more obvious technique of changing the font size slightly. A good artist should be able to "fix" this without changing the placement of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Betts
England
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see why the question is asked but actually 4 key stats, 1 in each corner seems pretty simple and logical.

I did find myself having to check I had the right one a few times and may still get myself confused in future but I suspect thats me not the counters !

Will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Much ado about nothing.

The lower number (that is, the one with lower value) is the flank number. It's that easy.

It's possible - though unlikely - that some future unit might have a stronger flank than front rating, but even then the coloured box around the flank DR keeps it pretty clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Actually, it makes sense to see the front DR as down in the corner. That really makes it come into focus. I played yesterday with that new insight and I wasn't confused at all. cool

Absolutely.

Actually - having the more important numbers somewhere 'misplaced' on the counter... that would be bothering!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As it somehow does fit to this thread - here I go:

No big deal but it takes me a while every now and then to realize that the black number (top left corner) is the AP-cost for firing while the number to the right is the one what shows the AP-cost to move the unit although it is for non-wheeled units in the same color as everything what has to do with fire: i.e. blue or red.

And so it happens that you find me staring at the counter for a second thinking: "ok. Firing anti-personal red FPs now. And the cost for this action is NOT the red AP-cost number but the black one!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.