Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that they were releasing a dice expansion for Ticket to Ride and it just struck me as strange and unnecessary. I haven't played it yet, so my opinion doesn't really count for anything, but... how odd that you would design an expansion that completely negates one of the bigger production costs of your original game. Good job, Days of Wonder. You killed all those trees for nothing =oP

http://www.daysofwonder.com/tickettoride/en/dice-expansion/?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
While I think that the Dice Expansion is rather overwhelming, it's not like DoW doesn't have to pay to print cards now that there's an expansion that doesn't use them.

But I don't really see how dice are significantly more random than cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
While I think that the Dice Expansion is rather overwhelming, it's not like DoW doesn't have to pay to print cards now that there's an expansion that doesn't use them.

Having read the rules, I would say it's a lot more random in what actions you can take. You can only claim a route or take a ticket if you get the appropriate dice results, whereas in the regular game you can choose which action you want to take freely. However, once you CAN lay a route the color doesn't matter - no more waiting for that blue train card to pop up, you can claim any route of a certain length or less as long as you have the dice/tokens to do so. It's also nice that 2 unused dice can be traded in for route tokens to help you claim future routes.

In the end it does seem more random to me, but TTR has always had a healthy dose of randomness anyway. I may pick this up for TTR:Marklin just for kicks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:

It's not "Euro" enough with dice. ANYTHING to randomize, as long as dice aren't involved is the new credo of Euro games.

Cards. Random drawing. Stupid towers that catch some pieces, but not others. Pachinko machines.

And the dumb thing is...ALL of these devices/mechanics can be broken down into probabilities that you can replicate WITH DICE!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Eberlin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's cheap enough I'll pick it up simply to play the game faster. Yes, it's more random, but arent't the cards random as well? Plus it would make the more complex games easier to teach. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
And the dumb thing is...ALL of these devices/mechanics can be broken down into probabilities that you can replicate WITH DICE!!!

Except the cube tower. All hail the Might Cube Tower!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
ExcitingJeff wrote:

It's not "Euro" enough with dice. ANYTHING to randomize, as long as dice aren't involved is the new credo of Euro games.

Cards. Random drawing. Stupid towers that catch some pieces, but not others. Pachinko machines.

You're a better man than I if you can replicate card draw distribution with dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

Except the cube tower. All hail the Might Cube Tower!

Why would there be any problems replicating the cube tower with dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
ExcitingJeff wrote:
While I think that the Dice Expansion is rather overwhelming,. . . .

You mean, IT'S OVERWHELMING!!!

(Dang . . . no one remembers that anymore.)

Ugh... the word I meant to use was "underwhelming." Definition: the opposite of the word I actually used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the original dice expansion going to come with tiny dice, and then you have to buy another expansion to get full-sized dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkoBeta wrote:
Is the original dice expansion going to come with tiny dice, and then you have to buy another expansion to get full-sized dice?

Tiny, hard to shuffle dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
ExcitingJeff wrote:
While I think that the Dice Expansion is rather overwhelming,. . . .

You mean, IT'S OVERWHELMING!!!

(Dang . . . no one remembers that anymore.)

I expect the first review for this expansion to be called:

Watch out Ticket to Ride! The dice expansion is OVERWHELMING!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a press release that Reiner Knizia is going to base all his future designs on the Magic 8-Ball, to reduce being overwhelmed by decisions. When asked if he will be re-releasing old titles to utilize the new innovative mechanic, he replied "Signs point to yes".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.