Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As everyone (probably) already knows, FFG announced an increase in prices. It's unfortunate, but it's a cost of doing business today (especially when your business includes lots of plastic bits). Amazon usually has great pre-order prices, but since several items have been listed at Amazon under the old prices the deals are even better now.

I've started tracking down some of the products I want to grab before the price increases go into effect, but it's the new products where I've found the best deals.

The following FFG products are still being listed under the old prices:

Black Goat of the Woods Expansion -- Pre-Order price is $13.57, FFG's listed price is $24.95. (This one I didn't bother to order since I already bought a copy at GenCon.)

Cosmic Encounter -- Pre-Order price is $32.97, FFG's listed price is $59.95.

Tide of Iron: Normandy -- Pre-Order price is $32.97, FFG's listed price is $59.95.

It looks like everything else (new) on the FFG price change list is unavailable for pre-order. There's also a list of already-existing products that are going under price increases, but that's less important since the older products can still be found at other sites at the old prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice to see it officially. I dropped out on Battlestar, and look with some regret, but this put me back in the boat on Cosmic Encounter.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Phil!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Nave
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious as to what the difference in the listed price of FFG and the actual price you will pay for it in a gamestore is.

I.e. so if you pay $33 at Amazon pre-order, how close will it be to the actual cost of the game once it is released?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gjnave wrote:
I.e. so if you pay $33 at Amazon pre-order, how close will it be to the actual cost of the game once it is released?

Assuming your store doesn't offer discounts (and few physical games stores offer discounts), a $33 Amazon pre-order game from this list will cost $60 at the store.

The thing is, Amazon is likely to realize what's going on and adjust all of their pre-order prices . . . probably very soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to factor in the free shipping for games over $25!

This is a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bryant
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:

Assuming your store doesn't offer discounts (and few physical games stores offer discounts), a $33 Amazon pre-order game from this list will cost $60 at the store.

The thing is, Amazon is likely to realize what's going on and adjust all of their pre-order prices . . . probably very soon.

If you pre-order before they make the adjustments, will Amazon honor the original listed price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Harris
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are supposed to. So far, my pre-ordered BSG:TG price hasn't changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tensider wrote:
If you pre-order before they make the adjustments, will Amazon honor the original listed price?

That's what Amazon says, but who can say what will really happen in the end. I've heard that sometimes orders are completely canceled, but that appears to be rare. (The Dark Heresy book released earlier this year had that problem, I think.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll watch and see what happens with my Battlestar Galacica... I'm pretty confident though. I've gotten electronic refunds of under $5 from them for price changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OrangeCat X wrote:
I'll watch and see what happens with my Battlestar Galacica... I'm pretty confident though. I've gotten electronic refunds of under $5 from them for price changes.

That happened with me on a few orders; I placed the order and then a few days later was credited a couple of bucks because they reduced the price on one of the items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mc
United States
Dunkirk
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI the Amazon 30-Day price guarantee was cancelled on Sep 1 2008. It no longer applies. So you can't anymore apply for a refund later if the price drops. Well you can apply but you won't get any money back!

Preorders are guaranteed to lock in at the lowest price until the day your card is charged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petermc wrote:
FYI the Amazon 30-Day price guarantee was cancelled on Sep 1 2008. It no longer applies. So you can't anymore apply for a refund later if the price drops. Well you can apply but you won't get any money back!

That sucks. Oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Don't forget to factor in the free shipping for games over $25!

This is a big deal.

An even bigger deal is free two-day shipping -- no matter how much you spend -- with the Amazon Prime free trial. The trick, though, is to cancel the Prime service before a month is up (otherwise they'll charge $80 once the month trial is up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.