Subject: Are upcoming events revealed from the start or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't you supposed to know what's coming up? In other words while the order of events are randomly determined from the beginning of the game, don't all players know from the get-go what they are?

namely, this photo got me wondering about that
. We played it such that ALL the event tiles were known from the start

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are known from the start indeed. Would make planning a little bit difficult otherwise :]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Barnes
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
As much as they've built up palaces, it looks like they've been flipping them over after each season is done.

But since all of the seasons are oriented to be facing the lower-left, it looks like they've been flipping them right to left. So the best chance is that the setup was simply staged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you look at the rules under set up you will see the following:

"... Shuffle the remaining 10 tiles face down and draw 1 at a time randomly, placing them FACE UPas you go from left to right in the other 10 spaces in the event row. ..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
namely, this photo got me wondering about that

Oh man, the game is already difficult enough already without seriously handicapping yourself like that. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
Sick Leave wrote:
As much as they've built up palaces, it looks like they've been flipping them over after each season is done.
I think this is the answer. The board in the picture is upside down to the viewer and the tiles are upside down relative to the board. At least, as compared to how I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matej Batič
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that this picture just shows flipped tiles of months already passed. At least that what we do when playing In the Year of the Dragon. It makes it easier to see what is coming next.

As said: rules say that you put them face up after randomly choosing the events and indeed placing them face down (ie not knowing what is coming) would make already difficult year virtually impossible to survive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matejbatic wrote:
I would agree that this picture just shows flipped tiles of months already passed. At least that what we do when playing In the Year of the Dragon. It makes it easier to see what is coming next.

As said: rules say that you put them face up after randomly choosing the events and indeed placing them face down (ie not knowing what is coming) would make already difficult year virtually impossible to survive.
ahhh right... for some reason, I thought the board goes right to left blush surprise laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. Every single tile is facing the left hand side of the photo (except for the one sideways illness tile). So it sure looks like that's the primary spot to be assessing the board from.

And from there, that means the events have been evaluated right to left, if you assume they've been turned over after use. Yeah, the Brits drive on the left side of the road, but they usually do things left to right. So that's some evidence against the turned over after use theory.

Has anyone just asked the guy? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's clear that these are the last four events, not the first ones, since the first two events are always peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:

It's clear that these are the last four events, not the first ones, since the first two events are always peace.
Forgot about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:

D'oh! blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that the tiles are placed face up at start, so that everyone knows what is coming.

I think it might be an interesting variant to only turn up the first 4, and to turn a new one up at the start of each turn, so that you know what will happen for the next 4 months, but not past then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.