Popular Tags: [View All]
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, this book is the most gorgeous RPG book I've ever seen, and I've been GMing for 21 years now and seen quite a good deal of RPGs. The quality of the book is simply astounding, it beats easily anything available in the market today and in the past 10 years.

I'm going to start reading the rules but from the fast read I gave it the game is quite crunchy but in the good way. I loved what I've seen so far.

This is a RPG to look out for. I haven't felt this way about a RPG ever since Earthdawn came out and I'm not even a western fan.

My first sample PC to get acquainted with the rules, a dumb barber. He does a lousy job at shaving but he does have a L.C.Smith shotgun kept close by just in case one of the patrons gets real noisy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nifty. Got one, then immediately got one for my best friend.

I love the shooting silhouettes!

"You gonna skin that smoke wagon?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
That's right... make us go and google it ourselves. Don't you understand how lazy I can be? Sheesh...

http://www.kenzerco.com/aces_n_eights/

Hey, that looks pretty good. I like the Shot Clock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_lunch wrote:
That's right... make us go and google it ourselves. Don't you understand how lazy I can be? Sheesh...

http://www.kenzerco.com/aces_n_eights/

Hey, that looks pretty good. I like the Shot Clock.

Here are the shotclock tutorials.

And how damage is resolved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
It's nifty. Got one, then immediately got one for my best friend.

I love the shooting silhouettes!

"You gonna skin that smoke wagon?"

There are more silhouettes on the site BTW, and they're quite good. There's one kneeling down as well if I'm not mistaken.

Oh man am I going to have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks amazing.. is there a game that goes with this as well or do you just shoot at each other? How in depth an RPG is it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
Looks amazing.. is there a game that goes with this as well or do you just shoot at each other? How in depth an RPG is it.

It is amazingly in-depth. Very very so in fact. There are no classes, but you can take a profession and you have some set goals according to each profession. You can be a barber, a judge, a marshal, an undertaker, a trailblazer, even a prostitute, each with set goals. These set goals are nothing more than a way to gain experience to build your character and there are a ton of professions indeed, which are nothing more than a general guideline of what your character does in his time to earn some money and reputation.

The game itself feels like a sandbox game, where you play out life as it was. You can do whatever you want, you may prospect for gold, drive cattle, run a saloon or a bank or even a real estate agency, heck you can run the Pinkerton agency if you wish so, anything really. You could be a shoemaker and create a pair of boots of such quality that the greatest gunslinger of the region may come to hear about your great work and order from you a pair of boots for himself. Of course, that means you'll have to get the best leather and since it's better to do things the way you want you'll be off buffalo hunting, which may lead to a ton of adventures by itself.

It is a very deep game if you know the history of the western frontier and you're free to do whatever you want. Violence doesn't necessarily have to come into play, you could talk your way out of situations.

I feel this isn't a game of heroes since combat is very realistic and therefore very deadly, it's a game where you play mundane people who strive to survive in a hostile environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So the hook is set and the only thing that stinks about the lure is that I don't know if there is anyone to play with in Victoria. cry

I really have to get a different set of nights off... dang.

thanks for the extra info... it does look like a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i wonder if they'll ever bring out an expansion for modern day... I was thinking that the shooting portion at least would be really interesting for SWAT/Terrorist actions. Makes me wonder how hard the gear is to put together. You could do this with fantasy as well... arrow shots, targetted magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
i wonder if they'll ever bring out an expansion for modern day... I was thinking that the shooting portion at least would be really interesting for SWAT/Terrorist actions. Makes me wonder how hard the gear is to put together. You could do this with fantasy as well... arrow shots, targetted magic.

Yeah but the authors have stated that this will be a western RPG and didn't mention using this system in other RPGs though it's a possibility. Demand for A&8s is surprisingly very high, the first print run sold out in a month catching even the authors by surprise. It seems that not only there's players who want to play in a western RPG there are others such as myself and you that got attracted to the book and setting due to the quality and rules of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAWD wrote:
I highly recommend this to everyone. Even if you don't have a game group, it's still very fun just read through ... it's that good.

Agreed, I haven't had so much fun just reading a RPG for a long time as I've had reading A&8s. The game is, to put it simple, excellent.

I mean, look at me. I never cared much for westerns even though I was knowledgeable enough about frontier history to be able to separate myth from fact and this book made me like the old west, big time!, and it's a Portuguese guy saying that, now imagine American gamers who enjoy the old west.

I read so much good stuff about this book that I decided to give it a chance and boy it sure hasn't disappointed, it even has exceeded my high expectations!

This is, in my opinion, the best traditional RPG made in the past 15 years.

And speaking of nasty things waiting to happen, hey Hivegod, have you started to play this yet? Tell us about your adventures in this game if you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the data I've been able to gather and Kenzer's forum, this seems to be the next supplements for the game:

A silhouette book with tons of stuff, including critters.
A Lazarus supplement
And possibly a book about the American natives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.