BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Asia » Japan

Subject: Japanese Mario Themed Balance Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: identify [+] [View All]
McKenzie Baldwin
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I bought this game in Tokyo, Japan in 2005. I bought it mainly for the Mario theme, but it also looked like fun. However I'm not fluent in Japanese or Mushroom Kingdom so I don't truly know how to play it, or even know what its name is.

I would like help identifying the game and how to play it. I found a similar game called Super Mario Bros. GuraGura Game but it isn't an exact match.

Please help!!!

I don't know how to put images in the post so I uploaded some pictures you can find here.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/376787
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/376788
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/376789

(If you pick the originals they are nice and large so you can read them better)

I tried this in the general forums but like me, nobody could read Japanese. I figured I could give the Japan board a try. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woah spooky. One of the classrooms that I work in here in Nagoya has that game. The kids just play with it like a toy as it has the mushrooms, a Mario and a Koopa.

Dunno the rules but thanks for freaking me out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayumoogy wrote:
I would like help identifying the game and how to play it. I found a similar game called Super Mario Bros. GuraGura Game but it isn't an exact match.

Please help!!!

In Japanese, the box cover you posted says Super Mario World Gura Gura Game. Maybe it's another one in the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Keja
Netherlands
Leusden
flag msg tools
badge
I won this overtext in the Rummage-o-rama! Thanks Cate!
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks a lot like Tipsy Tower. Roll the die to determine where you have to put your piece and don't let anything fall of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
madhobbit wrote:
It looks a lot like Tipsy Tower. Roll the die to determine where you have to put your piece and don't let anything fall of.

It's similar indeed, but there are some important differences. As soon as I have figured it out, I'll post a brief explanation of the game here.

-edit-
Oh, and BTW, it's also a different game from Super Mario Bros. GuraGura Game. This game isn't in the database yet.

-edit2-
Concerning the question about 'identifying' the game.
The title is 'Mario no houken gura gura geemu', which translates as 'Mario's adventure gura gura game', whatever that may be. (I don't know a thing about the Mario phenomenon.)

It's published by a company called 'Kawada' with an address in Shinjuku (Tokyo). However, that company does not have a website, and neither can I find any other information about the company (except that they seem to have cooperated with Ravensburger in the past), or this particular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Yamasaki
Japan
Okazaki
Aichi
flag msg tools
You give me the name then I will search and give one.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,I asked tons of questions in BGG and always received great answers. Now I got a chance to contribute. But it is safe to say this is not well-written instructions.

---

Title: Mario no bouken guragura game(Adventure of Mario : wobbling game)

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/376788

2 to 4 players. 8 to 72 years old.

(1) First you build the tower of Koopa. If you put blue or red rings to the upper layer, then the game is more challenging. If you put lower, it would be easier. (Fig.A)

(2) Put the Koopa on the top of the tower. (Fig.B) Put Mario on the lowest ring. (Fig.C)

(3) Each players receive equal number of each characters. (Fig. D)

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/376789

Game Start

(1) The adventure of Mario would start with dice rolling after players decide the order of play.

(2) You put one of your character on the ring with same color with the rolled dice. First you put Kinoko. (Fig. E) If you put all Kinoko then put Mini Yoshi. Put Yoshi after all Mini Yoshi.

(3) If your character make Koopa mad and fall any charaters except Mario, then these characters go to the player who put the most recent character. Mario won't go anywhere. He remains where he falled.

(4) If Koopa anger so bad so he falled down, the game ends immediately and the player who posses most fewest characters wins. (Fig. G)

---
I am not so sure about (5) and later. Please give me a little time to deduct.

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
gccw1800 wrote:

That's where I'm struggling too. There's just too much that doesn't make sense...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Yamasaki
Japan
Okazaki
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the later part.
---
(5) The first player who put all characters to the tower without Koopa's falling, can try to put Mario to higher layer. If he succeed, receive 10 points. (Fig. H)
If the Mario has fallen down before this, It is OK to put the lowest layer or the second lowest layer.

Scoring
(1) The first placed player receives all points of all remaining characters of all other players along with 10 points which he/she received at (5).
(2) All other players subtract the total points of all remaining characters in front of him/her.
(3) Decide how many rounds would be played and compare the total points.
---

Obviously players have to decide number of rounds BEFORE the game but the rule came from almost last part of instructions.
I feel like I almost done. Please cheer me up for the last part, "for experienced players".

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Yamasaki
Japan
Okazaki
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
gccw1800 wrote:

That's where I'm struggling too. There's just too much that doesn't make sense...

I struggled too. First I doubted about my Japanese ability. Then I tried to think this could be tricky but would be fine when you play. Final conclusion is just same old not so good instructions.

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Young
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't speak a lick of Japanese, but I do like writing rules. All credit here actually goes to Joe -- I just formatted a little.

Super Mario Wobble
2 to 4 players.
8 to 72 years old; no more, no less.

Setup

1> Build Koopa's tower, putting the rings in any order you choose. The higher the blue and red rings are, the more challenging the game will be.

2> Put Koopa on top of the tower. Put Mario on the lowest ring.

3> Divide the mushrooms, mini-Yoshis, and Yoshis evenly amongst the players. These are the characters you will have to place on the tower, and they form your "stock."

4> Decide how many rounds you wish to play. At the end of the last round, the player with the highest score wins!

5> Randomly choose a player to go first.

Gameplay

1> On your turn, roll the colored die.

2> Put one of your Characters (from your stock) on the ring that matches the color you rolled.

---
Note: When placing Characters, you must place all your mushrooms first. If your mushrooms are gone, place mini-Yoshis. Only place Yoshis if you have no other Characters remaining.

Mushrooms --> Mini-Yoshis --> Yoshis

---

3> If you cause Characters to fall off of the tower on your turn, collect them and add them to your stock. You will have to try to re-add them to the tower on later turns.

If Unique Characters Fall

If Koopa falls, the round is immediately over and the player who has the fewest characters wins the round. See Scoring for details.

If Mario falls, leave him where he lies.

Empty Stock

If you have no Characters to place on your turn, you do not need to roll the die. Instead, you try to move Mario 1 ring higher. If you succeed, gain 10 points.

If Mario has already fallen off of the tower, you may place him on the lowest or second-lowest layer. You still gain the 10 points.

End of the Round and Scoring

The round can end in two ways.

If Koopa falls from the tower, the round is over. Every player discards Characters from their stock, one-at-a-time, until someone has no Characters left. The player with the empty stock gets 1 point for every Character left in all the other players' stocks. The other players lose 1 point for every Character left in their own personal stock.

If Mario reaches the top of the tower, the round is over. The player who moved Mario there gains the normal 10 points (for moving Mario), plus 1 point for each Character left in every other player's stock. The other players lose 1 point for every Character left in their own personal stock.

Continue?

Write down the scores, and start a new round. When you reach the end of the last round, whoever has the highest total score wins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Young
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope the advanced rules include a variant to allow 73-year-olds to play, too. Maybe you need the "old people" expansion for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Yamasaki
Japan
Okazaki
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Christopher, thanks for your great work! You cheer me up. Give me a little time for the last part, I will finish this project. It is odd thing why this game limits 72 year old, not like 80 nor 99. There is no line between 72 and 73 in Japanese laws or culture, I believe. But there are many strange rules so the number 72 sounds reasonable. Make sense or not, it is clean and clear. If you are 73, you are out!

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.