Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe

Subject: Gamers in Istanbul, Turkey rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: game [+] board [+] turkey [+] istanbul [+] enthusiasts [+] meeting [+] [View All]
Izi Mizrahi
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
badge
bite my shiny metal a**!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I live in Istanbul, Turkey and I am looking to meet new players. I dunno why it never occurred to me that bgg would be an excellent tool for this. Anyway, me and my friend created a facebook group(Istanbul Board Game Enthusiasts) that currently reached 70 members. We try to organize a meeting every week. We do one week in Etiler, one week in Kadıkoy(at OyunMuhendisi - nice gaming cafe) so its convinient for everyone. Anyone who wants to play with us is more than welcome. It would be great to meet and play with new gamers.
You can reach me here or find the facebook group.

-izi

ps. the closest meeting will be in kadikoy after the holidays(probably the thursday, 09/10/08)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arvey
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I knew about you guys a few months ago when I was last in Istanbul... I'd have really liked to game with a group of Turks. And Oyun Muhendisi sounds great. Next I'm in Istanbul, I'll have to send you a note.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Must ... resist... urge to insert "They Might Be Giants" reference...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna Yalci
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to join you next time I am in Istanbul. What kind of games do you play? (I don't do facebook).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izi Mizrahi
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
badge
bite my shiny metal a**!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We try to play a big variety of games usually not playing the same game two weeks in a row. some examples are: powergrid, puerto rico, el grande, stone age, ingenious, illuminati: deluxe edition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be in Istanbul this August (16th - 23rd or thereabouts) and would love to meet up with some Turkish BGGers (or expats who live in Turkey). I likely won't be able to make it out of Istanbul, so any gaming I'd be doing would have to be easily accessible within the city.

Anyway, I'll have a considerable amount of free time during the day, so if anyone's up for it I'd look to get together. The more the merrier! And I've heard good things about these cafes... will certainly be checking them out. I've read backgammon is the game of choice -- I'll have to polish up my madskillz.

Cheers,

Patrick
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so the trip is looming on the horizon -- we will arrive on the 14th of August, and be in Istanbul until the 25th. My availability will mostly be during the day during the week (17th - 21st) as our evenings and weekends will mostly consist of events coinciding with the conference my partner is attending there (25th Annual World Crystallographic Meeting).

Anyway, if anyone is interested please geekmail me and let me know so that we can arrange something. It'd be very cool to meet up with some Turks and enjoy this hobby of ours together.

And yes, I'm aware there are more than a billion amazing things to see and do in Istanbul -- we're there for a little over a week. We can't do them all. So getting a game or two in just means we have more things to see and do on our NEXT visit!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jabagi K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to update this..

Istanbul Board Game Enthusiasts still exists. We meet every Thursday evening in Besiktas. All gamers around Istanbul are welcome.

PS: Izi is currently doing his military service but will be back to gaming in a few months.

J
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferit Erel
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Question: From which site do you order the board games? The shipping costs are really discouraging these days.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear about the major quake in your country.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jabagi K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
Sorry to hear about the major quake in your country.


Thanks Sam!..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jabagi K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cruniac wrote:
Question: From which site do you order the board games? The shipping costs are really discouraging these days.

All over. We have ordered from Fun Again, Cool Stuff and many other places. Recently I mostly order from Amazon.de (for games with in-game text) and CLS Games
CLS Games -- Atlanta's Board Game Warehouse
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
.

I collect orders from friends once every two months and split the shipping costs. This way a medium sized box costs around 15$ to ship and card games basically ship free. You are welcome to join if you are in Istanbul.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulPhoenix wrote:
Time to update this..

Istanbul Board Game Enthusiasts still exists. We meet every Thursday evening in Besiktas. All gamers around Istanbul are welcome.

PS: Izi is currently doing his military service but will be back to gaming in a few months.

J

Have you created a guild?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jabagi K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hammurabi70 wrote:
PaulPhoenix wrote:
Time to update this..

Istanbul Board Game Enthusiasts still exists. We meet every Thursday evening in Besiktas. All gamers around Istanbul are welcome.

PS: Izi is currently doing his military service but will be back to gaming in a few months.

J

Have you created a guild?

No. Currently we have a Facebook group and we don't have enough members on BGG to justify a guild but I might create it anyway. Unfortunately I'm out of at the moment..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hilla
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulPhoenix wrote:
hammurabi70 wrote:
PaulPhoenix wrote:
Time to update this..

Istanbul Board Game Enthusiasts still exists. We meet every Thursday evening in Besiktas. All gamers around Istanbul are welcome.

PS: Izi is currently doing his military service but will be back to gaming in a few months.

J

Have you created a guild?

No. Currently we have a Facebook group and we don't have enough members on BGG to justify a guild but I might create it anyway. Unfortunately I'm out of at the moment..

Looking for a fresh update! Do you guys still exist? It's premature & unsettled, but I may be relocating to Istanbul and am therefore prematurely curious as to gaming there ...

What is the Facebook page link?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hilla
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tonguepaste wrote:
PaulPhoenix wrote:
hammurabi70 wrote:
PaulPhoenix wrote:
Time to update this..

Istanbul Board Game Enthusiasts still exists. We meet every Thursday evening in Besiktas. All gamers around Istanbul are welcome.

PS: Izi is currently doing his military service but will be back to gaming in a few months.

J

Have you created a guild?

No. Currently we have a Facebook group and we don't have enough members on BGG to justify a guild but I might create it anyway. Unfortunately I'm out of at the moment..

Looking for a fresh update! Do you guys still exist? It's premature & unsettled, but I may be relocating to Istanbul and am therefore prematurely curious as to gaming there ...

What is the Facebook page link?

Never mind: found it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jabagi K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We still exist.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hilla
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulPhoenix wrote:
We still exist.

Good to know! Now that I have thoroughly jinxed my job opportunity ...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morcerf
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
The struggle itself is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
badge
"Is there any subject you shouldn't joke about?" is no less ridiculous a question than "Is there any subject you shouldn't talk about?"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooo, merhaba! ...now if only all my time in Istanbul wasn't spent studying and doing research...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jabagi K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DeMorcerf wrote:
Ooo, merhaba! ...now if only all my time in Istanbul wasn't spent studying and doing research...

I'm sure you can spare a few hours once a week for gaming
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
murphy7012 murphy7012
msg tools
Hi,

I am going to be in Istanbul with my girlfriend from Jan.2nd to 6th. We are both gamers and we would like to know if we can join you for a gaming session.

Cheers,

Matías
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jabagi K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
murphy7012 wrote:
Hi,

I am going to be in Istanbul with my girlfriend from Jan.2nd to 6th. We are both gamers and we would like to know if we can join you for a gaming session.

Cheers,

Matías

Hello.
We normally meet on Thursdays and that's a bad week for gaming because Dec 31st is a Tuesday and everybody will be partied out on Thursday but send me a message near the end of December and we'll talk
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Portinari
Italy
Quinto Vicentino
flag msg tools
Hi,
Is your club active yet?
I'm an Italian player and I'll be in Istanbul from 13 to 18 July...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jabagi K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes we are still active. We meet every other Thursday. The next game night is on July 10th but we'll might make an exception for you. Send me your travel details and let's talk
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls