Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Power Grid: France/Italy» Forums » General

Subject: Question - Italy/France & Power Plant Deck 2? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've got a quick question:
Do I need the new power plants in order to enjoy/play the Italy/France maps?

The thing is that my local boardgame store has the maps but not the power plant deck. If I have to get the deck in order to play the maps, I'm going to go ahead and order the whole thing online instead of getting it at my local store.

Thanks,
Ægir / ChillusMaximus
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Base game + extra maps = all you "need"

The maps are mutually exclusive from the decks, with the exception of China, which doesn't have official rules for the 2nd deck yet.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dave!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I will go on to say that you MUST have all the maps and the extra power plant deck

Actually the second deck is a nice variant. I think it's actually "easier" in many ways. It certainly gives the game a whole new edge.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
I will go on to say that you MUST have all the maps and the extra power plant deck


I will also add that everything fits in the original box very nicely. Just take out the box insert and it fits like a glove.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Actually the second deck is a nice variant. I think it's actually "easier" in many ways. It certainly gives the game a whole new edge.

A whole new dull edge. The fuel never seems to run out with the new deck. I prefer the old deck.

BTW, if you use the new deck with France, ignore the rule about removing Plant 11. Just use the deck as is. It's a minor effect on the game, except with six players, where the rule as written (remove 11 and don't put anything special on top of the deck) is thoroughly broken.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
BTW, if you use the new deck with France, ignore the rule about removing Plant 11. Just use the deck as is. It's a minor effect on the game, except with six players, where the rule as written (remove 11 and don't put anything special on top of the deck) is thoroughly broken.


If we play France with 6 players using the original deck, we take the #13 windmill and stick it on top of the #11 nuclear plant. This prevents anyone from getting the #11 windfall in Round 1.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for these excellent tips. thumbsup
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:

If we play France with 6 players using the original deck, we take the #13 windmill and stick it on top of the #11 nuclear plant. This prevents anyone from getting the #11 windfall in Round 1.


I just played a 6p game on France and ended round 1 with the 11 plant. I don't think it was an advantage to get this plant in round 1, as it is not much better than the 10 (CC-->2). Assuming the 04 and 08 were purchased and the 04 player buys 4 coal, the 10 should cost 6 elektro to run and the 11 5 elektro. This is breakeven given the difference in purchase price. Granted, the 11 will probably be better in later rounds, but it is a higher numbered plant than the 10, so you would expect it to be slightly better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james browning
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarashi wrote:
locusshifter wrote:
I will go on to say that you MUST have all the maps and the extra power plant deck


I will also add that everything fits in the original box very nicely. Just take out the box insert and it fits like a glove.


I did just that when my copies of everything came in. The only problem is that it makes the box weigh about 12 pounds.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.