Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete McNamara
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I can/must consolidate naval steps/blocks. But, does the same apply to troop pieces?

For example, if I have two one-step marines on a land area, can I consolidate them into a 2 step unit?

Or, if I do troop transport, can i consolidate there?

If not, this makes a good case for using a Special Action for replacements - it's just that SA's are in such short supply, they seem expensive to use for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know the rules don't mention this kind of consolidation specifically. Only fleets are mentioned in the rules. In some cases I can see the urge of consolidating land units, especially in the case you mention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troops cannot be consolidated in this manner, although a ground unit can reduce a step and create a garrison unit, if one is not there already, and if this is the last step the unit could then be rebuilt at home. Air units, conversely, can be consolidated in this manner (and must be prior to air combat, if possible).

Also note that while fleet steps can be consolidated when together, and must be consolidated prior to a round of battle to create the minimum number of blocks, this consolidation can only be done where the end result reduces the total number of blocks. For example, two 2-step cruiser blocks could be consolidated into one 4-step, but two 2-step carrier blocks cannot be consolidated into a 3-step and a 1-step, as this would not reduce the number of blocks.

Special actions are quite a bit rarer and used quite a bit differently in practice in Asia Engulfed than in Europe Engulfed, where profligate use of SA's is the way to maintain an offensive or stiffen a defense. I see the occasional key use for unrestricted replacements or breakthrough combat, but the most powerful uses tend to be the special Japanese extensive rebasing, and the American code-breaking, and the most common use I think is for amphibious invasions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.