Popular Tags: rdoxx.com [+] counter_sleds [+] rdoxx [+] [View All]
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in buying some counter sleds, as shown in the picture below, and was interested in hearing which games people feel would most benefit from the addition of fog-of-war. I've seen posts mentioning Bitter Woods (fourth edition), Age of Napoleon, Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle, and A House Divided, but I'm curious if there are other suggestions. I plan to use them for solitaire games and for face-to-face games, where appropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking to buy some, here is a link.
http://www.rdoxx.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious - why would you need them for solo play? I mean, they are mainly useful in injecting fog of war into two-player games that don't otherwise have that feature. Playing solo, it would seem like the whole fog of war thing is going to be kinda tough to pull off. Just wondering...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Just curious - why would you need them for solo play? I mean, they are mainly useful in injecting fog of war into two-player games that don't otherwise have that feature. Playing solo, it would seem like the whole fog of war thing is going to be kinda tough to pull off. Just wondering...

My guess is that so you cannot see the other sides counters while doing your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azzarc wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

My guess is that so you cannot see the other sides counters while doing your turn.

Keep in mind I'm only questioning the use of counter sleds for solo gaming, where you are running both sides. In such solo games, for counter sleds to have any utility, it, well, kind of requires that you conveniently and consistently forget what the other side's units were when you played the other side 10 minutes ago.

However, having said that, given my own (undoubtedly work-stress induced) deteriorating short-term memory, this actually kind of makes sense to me...

...what were we talking about again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stadel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use them for Panzer Grenadier, and I think they work great. Any game with Line-of-Sight rules would benefit from them ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drake
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use these counter sleds in my solo gaming and they work pretty well.Wrote an article a few years ago that was published in solo wargames magazine Lone Warrior detailing my method of use so will sum it up here.

What I do is to use some lettered counters (A,B,C,etc.) placed onto the counter sled,one counter per sled,and flip the sled around so I do not see the counter.Then I will place the sled onto the board in random spot (using most likely spot such a unit may be encountered which is usually scenario driven),and if have any units off-board will place same way off the map.Make sure the letter counter is recorded before game starts as to what that counter really is.

For example in game of MBT I may have a setup like this:
counter A= T72 main battle tank
counter B= RPG squad
counter C= dummy unit
counter D= entrenched rifle squad
counter E=dummy unit

As sleds are moved/spotted/activated then the counter is revealed and both are removed when revealed.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

I use them solo, but not for fog-of-war... I simply find it easier to see the counters from a seated position, and way easier to handle them when there's a high counter density and/or the hexes are not much bigger (if at all) than the counters.

Also, there's one very specific situation, which was the reason I considered sleds in the first place: The '45 has some counters which work like the Columbia blocks - strength is rated by the value on each edge of the counter, the counter is rotated to show losses. But these are flat-lying counters, and I am certain to get that mixed up, given my habit of turning counters around all the time! I've still to actually play that game, but I like the sleds, and I've seen a few similar games with a similar feature, flat-lying counters with strengths denoted around the edges. Of course, if the actual facing of the counter is significant to denote the unit's facing, sleds are more trouble than they're worth - if you rotate them to show facing, you can't read your own counters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark and Wulf - those are some interesting non-fog-of-war reasons to use counter sleds for solo gaming! I will have to consider investing in these myself, since I still do a fair bit of solo gaming, in addition to two-player gaming.

Does anyone have a link to the vendor(s) that sell these pieces???
Edit: Never mind - I noted Greg's link from above:
If you are looking to buy some, here is a link.
http://www.rdoxx.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Karl,

I am an ardent fan of counter sleds . I use them for various games and I paint them. Not only do they add fog of war where appropriate but, they look and feel good.

I direct you to the following review:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/168822

With kindest regards,

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.