Subject: Bad for 5 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Knizia as much as any other gamer, but the brainy dude doesn't seem to pay much attention to how his games scale with different players. Some quick examples off the top of my head are Ra, Ingenious, Great Wall of China, High Society etc. The same goes for Sushizock im Gockelwok. I tried it with 5 players, and it was terrible. Everybody only had 1-2 tiles in front of them for much of the game, and the 4-chopstick rule was moot, since nobody ever built a sizable stack. 4 was quite a bit better, but I have a feeling that this game plays well with 3, and only with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I agree with you about Sushizock, but Ra?! I'd say Ra is one of the BEST games at scaling from 3-5 players. True, they play differently, but all of the tension and angst is there in each of the incarnations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll admit that Ra probably plays differently with 4-5 players, not worse. So since you shot down Exhibit 1, I present Exhibit 1A: Hollywood Blockbuster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're saying Hollywood Blockbuster doesn't work with 5? I would disagree with that statement too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your possible strategic options are severely narrowed when playing Hollywood Blockbuster with 5. But okay, let's strike it from the list too. I present you with Exhibit 1B: Tower of Babel.

Anyway, I still assert that Sushizock is terrible with 5. It should have just said 2-4 players on the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Strecker
United States
Murrieta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Ra and Hollywood Blockbuster with 5. Sushizock im Gockelwok didn't work well with 5 at all the one time I played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing out the terrible experience of playing with 5.

I find it strange when people say there are not enough games for 3, yet I find most of Knizia's designs are best with that number in regards to getting a balance of chaos and control, with only a few exceptions which I feel are better with at least 4 (Babel, Medici, Circus Flochati, Toppo, Ingenious with partnerships).

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, lemme also knock Ingenious off your list. Not only does it scale well from 2-4 because the scoring has some twists for 2p alone, and because the board playing area changes, but on top of that you also have the option of playing partners!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
BennyD wrote:
I agree with you about Sushizock, but Ra?! I'd say Ra is one of the BEST games at scaling from 3-5 players. True, they play differently, but all of the tension and angst is there in each of the incarnations.

Ra is great with 3, okay with 4, and horrible with 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Strömer
Sweden
Lidingo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the sweet spot for Sushizock is four players. OK, you have a bit of downtime then, but on the other hand, your influence might be stronger when it comes to capturing. And you can play it a little bit different.

(Ra is great with all numbers of players.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Bowling
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Was it for this my life I sought? Maybe so, Maybe not.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in on the 5 player game of Sushizock and agree it did not really seem to work with 5.

But I will disagree with almost all the other examples:

Ra scales great and in enjoyable with 3-5 players. Surprising similar feel to the game no matter how many players.
Hollywood Blockbuster scales great as well but definitely a different feel with 3 than 5.
Ingenious plays well with 2-4 players and don't really think it suffers from a scaling problem.

Have not played Tower of Bable with any number other than 4 but can see where the number of players would change this game.

A game you left of your list is Modern Art. I think this game does not scale all that well.

(Of course I don't like Stone Age so my opinion does not really count.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're assuming that the game's designer has the final say over this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
5 players is the only time I played this, but I thought it was great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.