Runebound (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: RuneBound on VASSAL rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark bates
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
So Ive been learning VASSAL this weekend(a virtual tabletop progrm for playing boardgames etc), and I've been using Runebound as a learning project. Before writing this, I have gotten everything done pretty much except the cards. I plan tommororow or the next day to have put in enough cards to play a solo game, and then go from there. I uploaded a screenshot of how it looks so far, hopefully that will be visible soon. I'll see about releasing it somewhere, it does include alot of copyrighted images from fantasy flight, but Twilight Imperium has been implemented on there, and they dont seem to mind that.

Once this is finished, i also plan on using it to implement an explansion that I made for runebound, that I never bothered to upload because it has too many pieces for most normal people to be interested in making
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
bongloder wrote:
So Ive been learning VASSAL this weekend(a virtual tabletop progrm for playing boardgames etc), and I've been using Runebound as a learning project. Before writing this, I have gotten everything done pretty much except the cards. I plan tommororow or the next day to have put in enough cards to play a solo game, and then go from there. I uploaded a screenshot of how it looks so far, hopefully that will be visible soon. I'll see about releasing it somewhere, it does include alot of copyrighted images from fantasy flight, but Twilight Imperium has been implemented on there, and they dont seem to mind that.

It's not the images that they mind as much as the card text. With Twilight Imperium, you'll notice none of the Action Cards or Political Cards have the actual card text in VASSAL - only the card title. And I'm fairly certain the guy who created the module for Twilight Imperium did ask permission about it, as well.

FFG's main concern is that someone who uses things like VASSAL is that they can't use it instead of purchasing the game. IE - they don't want a full "free" version available.

With Runebound, for instance, you would probably not want to have any of the card statistics in VASSAL - you could have the images and enough description so you know what card it is, but if you put everything about the cards in the module, I'm pretty sure FFG would not be as OK with it as they are with Twilight Imperium.

For what it's worth, there is ONE game that they did say "no" to using the artwork - StarCraft; but in that case, it was partly due to the fact that even though the game's artwork is "custom", there are still licensing rights with Blizzard that they didn't want to push the limits of (and I can understand that).

So I guess my suggestion is just to make the VASSAL module such that you would still have to own the actual game to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark bates
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yeah, unfortunately, removing card text makes the game basically unplayable, as searching through hundreds of cards each time is just not realistic. BGG is not letting me put up a screenshot here, i'll post one somewhere else later today and set up a link

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
bongloder wrote:
Yeah, unfortunately, removing card text makes the game basically unplayable, as searching through hundreds of cards each time is just not realistic. BGG is not letting me put up a screenshot here, i'll post one somewhere else later today and set up a link

You can upload a screenshot to your BGG personal gallery (doesn't go through modding) and embed that in your post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark bates
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thanks for the advice, heres a couple of shots. I played a game of it today with a friend across the country, and there were only a couple of minor glitches. I have some things i want to fix, but its wokring pretty nicely overall. I threw fantasy flight an email, on the off chance they be okay with me releasing it, or suggestions on a way they would be okay with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it looks awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.S. Barker
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any updates on this project ? ...inquiring minds...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfredo Estuar
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is awsome.

I would like this 'cause we've been playing this game very often and wearing out my copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has this project been completed?

I would be intereested in Runebound on Vassal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did this project get finished on VASSAL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brands
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Yes, PLEASE -- someone who knows how to do this, please bale us all out and finish this project for this great fun game! THANKS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.