Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At our local pub last night, a colleague asked what I thought of the "famous German wargamer" who is accused of flying to Britain and murdering another wargamer.

Now, my colleague is not a gamer himself, but he knows that by gaming I mean a face to face activity. He's even joined us in some games on a few occasions. It was pretty clear that he not only thinks the accused is a gamer in our sense, but that he and the victim are people that I ought to have heard of.

So I said, "Well, no, I haven't heard anything about that. But I also don't know of any living Germans who are famous wargamers. Germans tend to be better known for economic and politically-themed strategy games."

Anyway, here's a link to the times article.

Honestly, I'd never even heard of GBA Advance Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Advance Wars is a wargame, albeit very light and very approachable, and most commonly played solo against the AI. Not at all a game which you would expect to lead to real-life conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would say this is further proof of my theory that teenagers and pre-teens should be BANNED from the internet. Sadly, though, these are adults we're speaking of. Young, yes, but adults. shake

The internets . . . serious business indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
pwn3d wrote:
I think it might be a case of love triangle leading to a crime of passion. A kind of thing that has been going on for many years before the Internet arrived.

In a weird way, I hope it WAS crime of twisted love . . . and not one about an internet forum argument. I mean, murder is murder, but you know . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.