Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the reasons I have always been turned off by CMG's is because you get the same piece over and over again, and then are expected to field it. For example, in that Heroclix game, why would you ever have more than one "Wolverine" character on the battlefield? It just seems to completely destroy any concept of this as a themed game and instead an exercise in collecting plastic.

If the distribution on the plastic is okay, I could be convinced... if you buy this game by the case you end up with every monster. That's good...

So the question is: What is army composition like in this game? Will you have one monster or many duplicates of the same monster? How do the units factor into this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin,

You have one monster on the battlefield at each time (they also have an evolved 'Ultra' or 'Mega' form that is off the field for when they evolve. The Ultras come in the starter with each Regular monster). In the set each faction has two monsters. As for the units, they are a large part of the game, and will make up the bulk of your units. However, they are cannon fodder compared to the monsters, and typically need to gang up on the monster in order to do damage. Each army is made up of up to 15 units, no more than 5 of which may be elites, and no more than 5 of which may be the same figure. Units are spawned during game play, and are very squishy (can only take one hit). Destroying units and buildings gives your monster the power to use their specials and evolve. I hope this helps some. You might also check out the official rules at: http://www.monsterpocalypsegame.com/downloads/Monsterpocalyp...

Thanks,

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kice
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the official blog, if you buy two sealed cases of unit boosters and a seal case of monster boosters you should wind up with one of everything. (Well, everything except the ultra-rare ones that you can only get at events or through mail-ins.)

http://www.monsterinsider.net/2008/09/18/chasing-the-mega-mo...

http://www.monsterinsider.net/2008/06/26/clarifying-collecto...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One case of boosters should be sufficient. There's 12 *** units, 10 ** units, and 14 * units. With 12, 12 and 24 in each case, you should get one or two of each. That's if they got the collation right, of course; that seems to have been the intent, but I haven't gotten my cases yet to check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.