Popular Tags: [View All]
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after I wrote a review of the game (see my review here) the puffer or bellows for our game broke - I guess we'll see how good HABA's customer service is - but we (Me, my 5 yr old daughter, and 4 yr old son) decided to play anyway, this time using the "crokinole" variant, where we just flick the ships with our fingers.

This works surprisingly well, particularly as it gives greater control and moves the game along faster. It now becomes possible to move your ship from one end of the board to the other end in one turn. The pirate thus also becomes more dangerous arrrh

However, although the pirate boarded a great many more ships during our game, the merchant vessels were well prepared, and managed to bluff their way out of most encounters. At one point my son put all three treasure tokens in one hand and lucked out when his sister picked the other hand. A very brave move, because he could have lost it all. The shock and dismay of my daughter, coupled with the giggles from him were quite priceless. Yet when he tried to steal from his dad the next turn the same thing happened, and so he didn't get any richer himself.

At some point during the game we decided that we should give our ships some names. My daughter's ship was christened "The Pirate Running Away" (which could be interpreted in two different ways: either she scared off the pirate, or, more likely, her ship was running away from the pirate and she hasn't quite figured out grammatical declensions). My son's was "The Treasure-Seeker" - which sounds kind of Narnian I think. My ship was green so I called it "The Apple," which the kids thought was rather ludicrous, because it has nothing to do with pirates.

Eventually all the treasure was collected and we ended up with a tie for first place (my daughter and I). All in all, a good time was had by all, and I'm sure the "Pirate Running Away," the "Treasure-Seeker" and the "Apple" will sail again soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report.

I hope you get good results from HABA's support dept. If not you can try replacing the puffer thingy with a large squeeze bulb used for cleaning cameras and film. They should be available in a photo specialty shop. Or you could get crazy and used canned air (better wear goggles, though!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole
United States
Lovington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or cheaper would be to buy mucus "suckers" from the baby department at Wal-mart or the like.

They look just like Haba's bellows.

Nicole

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I should mention that Haba did send us a replacement. I've posted about their good customer service elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole
United States
Lovington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's good to hear. I wonder if they'd replace the "walls" in my Shiverstone Castle game? I'll have to look into it.

Nicole

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.