Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas London
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all...just finished a game of Arkham Horror with the Dunwich Horror Expansion, and I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem....

We had 5 players and the GOO was Hastur (and his crappy 8-clue tokens for a seal ability). The game ended with us beating him in the final battle.
The game took about FIVE hours, not including setup. We didn't even really waste much time either, so I dont know if we could have shortened it any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
It can take a long time. It ranges from about 30 minutes to 1 hour per player in my experience (which is why I play most games either solo or with 2-3 players).

Probably the best time-saving hints are for everyone to run their encounters simultaneously, get extra sets of dice, and/or assign people to always perform tasks. For instance, assign one person to be the "Outer World" encounter person who flips and deals out those encounters, another person to draw the Mythos card each turn, and another person to place/move monsters.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with MerricB on assigning different tasks to certain people, it can be a (too) long game.

Another way to severely speed up the game is perhaps counter-intuitive; as this game seems exceedingly complex with its many cards, counters, more cards etc. one needs to tone down the complexity.

It is somewhat of a light atmosphere RPG after all, and should not be played like an optimization game. This works in, for instance, Puerto Rico and Caylus, but it more or less destroys a Kevin Wilson game.

Hope you're not too scared to take on a Great Old One another time ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done 5 solo games with 4 investigators in each game this week, not one lasted 2 hours. Longest game ever has been about 3.5 hours, and that was the 2nd game with my friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is. It's an experiential game. It's a horror game. Five hours is much more horrible than one hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Yes, it is. It's an experiential game. It's a horror game. Five hours is much more horrible than one hour.

That's a fantastic answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's not really a short game, particularly with new or newish players. It's easy to take a lot of time discussing tactics or looking up rules.

The vast number of components can slow things down, too. Using card organizers, like the Hold-It! from Innovatium or even business card displays from an office supply store, can help a lot. Divided bits trays for the counters also help.

In the end, the fastest way to speed up the game is to play it repeatedly. I play about once a week with the same group of four people. Including setup & teardown, we usually complete a game with ALL the expansions in about three hours. The longest we've needed is four. Friday night, we finished off the base game in less than two hours.

I wouldn't mind if the game took a bit more time, actually. For an "RPG lite" type of game, four hours feels just about right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think having Hastur as the ancient one makes the game quite bit longer. We had him for the first time the other night and it took about 4 hours with 4 people. The difficulty in sealing the gates is the culprit in making the game longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mileage varies.

From experience, with 1/2 expansions and 4-5 players, some games take 5 hours others can finish in 2 and a half.

1. players (I usually play with 4-5)
2. speed of players/rounds.
3. mythos cards drawn, doom track is a good timer.
4. Goo - Hastur bad.
5. organisation of components and experience.

If you start a game though. Have 5 hours spare just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Brandt
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Five hours isn't that much. We once had a 7 hour game, and after finishing it at 2am, we started a new one But i think i have seen only a few games that last less than 3 hours (base game only), and usually our games are closer to five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Degen-Portnoy
United States
Stoneham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Jefferson,

Thanks for the mention. We've had a fair number of customers purchase two Hold-it!s for Arkham Horror. Many of them who did at Cons came back the next day to rave how the Hold-it! helped the game play tremendously.

Unlike other means to hold cards, the Hold-it! was designed for gamers. It's wicked easy to use, incredibly durable and has an unconditional guarantee.

Plus. we just dropped the price to $14.95. Yep, that's about 25% off the original retail price.

Come on over to www.InnovatiumInc.com to order yours in time for the Holidays.

Peter Degen-Portnoy
Founder
Innovatium

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey
Time is a hard one to gauge, last night we played Dunwich with 4 player, one retired investigator. GOO was Glaaki, beat him with 6 sealed gates about 3 1/2 hours 22 pt game.
This one went our way pretty much with not alot of action in Dunwich. mostly just surges at wizards hill, like 4 in a row, and that helped, cause we weren't focused enough on closures. Had one player just doing a mission for 1/2 the game trying to keep rumours from affecting us. Not one rumour drawn at all by the way.
we always budget 4-5 hours for arkham. more people more time. fewer people we still wind up a long game though becasue it gets a bit more chatty.
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.