BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Beef up my Wishlist with a game that's not on my radar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
My wishlist is feeling a little thin. I know it doesn't seem so. There are 31 items on there. But only two are serious. Tales of the Arabian Nights is a definite buy that I will be asking for for Christmas if it's out in time. Cuba is a game I like a lot, but I might never buy it because of the price, and I'm afraid most people I game with have played it as much as they want to.

I don't really need any more games. I've just got Race for the Galaxy which should keep me occupied for a while. But I'm bored so I want to play the recommendation game. What if come spring next year, I've played out Arabian Nights and I want a new game, am still too cheap for Cuba, and don't know what to get. Ok, silly idea really. Essen will be before then and if last year was any indication, there will be lots more games on my radar. Like I said, it's just for fun.

So, to the criteria. This is not one of those really specific recommendation requests, where I say I am looking for a game that plays 2.5 - 4.2 players, has a cat theme, and both my wife and girlfriend will like it. Instead, I'm going to give a list of games I like with as much breadth as possible.

Ameritrash
light - Nexus Ops
heavy - Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)

Euro
gateway - Ra
light - Blue Moon City
medium - Amun-Re
heavy - La Città

Abstreuro
Attika

Traditional Cards
Tichu

Role Selection
Race for the Galaxy

Bluffing
Citadels

Civilization
Parthenon: Rise of the Aegean

Train
Iron Dragon

So, based on what I think are the epitomes of these different genres, can you recommend any others I would like? Or can you detect some deep crosscutting current across these diverse games that would lead you to the perfect game for me? Or recommend something for me that's outside my breadth, maybe a game that's in a category I don't usually play but that you think I'd like based on slight similarities to the above games. These are some categories outside my usual tastes:

Horror. Probably don't even bother recommending. Just a theme I dislike.

Abstracts. But I like what I am calling "abstreuros". Besides Attika I like Tongiaki: Journey into the Unknown. Mostly I don't want to mentally work as hard as abstracts ask you to. I also dislike the steep learning curve where a newbie playing against and even slightly experienced player may as well be playing against a brick wall.

Wargames. I'm not against the idea. I don't want to have to learn military history and take classes at West Point in military tactics to be able to understand the tactics of the game. I don't want a game that is so concerned with simulating history that one side in the game has no chance unless played by a very skilled player against a very unskilled player. So, does that rule out all "serious" wargames?

So, it's a pretty open-ended question. If possible, try not to recommend things that I've already rated, or are already on my wishlist. But, if you've got nothing else, feel free to advocate for something on my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Syrovatka
Czech Republic
Beroun
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker, Indonesia, Antiquity, Titan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Struijf
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Obviously, I must recommend Kraków 1325 AD....admitting total bias...

The game still flies fairly low under most radars, but I hope it will put a big bleep on a lot of screens soon, after the launch at Essen. And you can pre-order it in the USA at a very decent price...

Given your range of games, I think you might like it - have a look at the game's own page on BGG or visit the website (www.krakowgame.com).

Peter
Geode Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Starcraft
Mare Nostrum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discoveryand Twilight Struggle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Ages is an excellent civ game. I played it yesterday with 4 other players- that group has framed the map and gone through 2 copies so far from wearing out the counters. It's a lot of fun and has a lot of depth.

Also, Agricola does live up to the hype. Just announced as an IGA winner. My wife and I both really enjoy this game- and it's hard to get her interested in any game. It's a ton of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you mention abstracts... I'm going suggest YINSH.

I just bought this & it's blown me away, much better than I expected from an abstract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa fits in well with your Euros, and I found it very enjoyable. And it's out of print! Perfect for a wishlist!

The FFG Cosmic Encounter will probably be pretty popular with you, too, I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
sydo wrote:

All of the above plus Liberte (VG reprint 2009 I believe) Imperial and Commands&Colors Ancients (a 2plyer my wife likes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age, Kingsburg, Shadow Hunters

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe E.
United States
Stone Mountain
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to recommend Glory to Rome. I see you already have both San Juan and Race for the Galaxy, and seem to like them; Glory to Rome is somewhat like them in that it's a card game with role selection, you build / make things using other cards, etc., but it's very different - much more so from either of those than they are from one another, in my opinion (though I should offer the caveat that I've played Race for the Galaxy just once). It offers vastly more player interaction and a huge number of ways for structures to interact, with each game being very different. Check out some of the reviews to get an idea of how it goes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
frontlinegeneral wrote:
7 Ages is an excellent civ game. I played it yesterday with 4 other players- that group has framed the map and gone through 2 copies so far from wearing out the counters. It's a lot of fun and has a lot of depth.

Also, Agricola does live up to the hype. Just announced as an IGA winner. My wife and I both really enjoy this game- and it's hard to get her interested in any game. It's a ton of fun.

My thumb was for 7 Ages not Agricola! 7 Ages is great - you'll need some time and space, but it is very satisfying and a lot fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
Looking over your list, I'd say the followng are similar enough to your faves to be worth a look:

Evo, Colosseum, Stone Age, Brass: Lancashire, Age of Steam/Railways of the World, and Power Grid are all top-notch "building up a Mighty Empire from the ground up" style of games (though in EVO it's a herd of dinosaurs, and COLOSSEUM and STONE AGE ARE similarly out-of-theme yet appropriate)

Maharaja: The Game of Palace Building in India seems like it might be close enough as well; it includes several elements some of your favorites have - strong resource management, many options to choose from.

morningstar wrote:

Wargames. I'm not against the idea. I don't want to have to learn military history and take classes at West Point in military tactics to be able to understand the tactics of the game. I don't want a game that is so concerned with simulating history that one side in the game has no chance unless played by a very skilled player against a very unskilled player. So, does that rule out all "serious" wargames?

To the grognard, for sure, but not imo.

For a very satisfying mix of Euro and wargame elements guaranteed to have none of the qualities you wish to eschew, try Shogun, Struggle of Empires/Conquest of the Empire or Imperial.

For something Ameritrashy yet relatively simple and satisfying, try Dust or Nexus Ops.

And for something that honestly plays like a mix of CITADELS and RISK, try Age of Gods.

No, no, really - you play a pantheon of Gods using various fantasy races as pawns, yet try and conceal which races are actually in your favor, and get special powers based on which God you are. It's very unique and extremely interesting imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shipp
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fruit Fair is what I'm most anxiously awaiting. Most fun I had at Essen last year.

Randy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian willis
United States
California
flag msg tools
One game that I heard of that sounds pretty cool is "The Punisher:No Mercy". I saw a blog on it on gamespot.com. Sounds pretty cool to me :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben Johnson

California
msg tools
Yeah i also heard about that, its being made on the Unreal Engine. :) yipeee plus the punisher is such a Bad @$$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rawr owo
United States
California
flag msg tools
SpankytheJuggernaut wrote:
its being made on the Unreal Engine. :)

Not a bad engine, I too feel excited for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian willis
United States
California
flag msg tools
From what I've heard so far, this game has a lot of potential. The first one wasn't bad. Hopefully they do more with this title though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamingmaster09 wrote:
From what I've heard so far, this game has a lot of potential. The first one wasn't bad. Hopefully they do more with this title though.

Something strange is afoot at the Circle K.

Anyway, for serious recommendations, for a light Euro, I'd say King's Gate--its good, and cheap, and fun.

For Ameritrash, check out Heroscape if you're in a dice throwing mood and like lots of variety. Also, on the heavier side, I cannot recommend enough A Game of Thrones--its got a great mix of backstabbing, bidding, war, and a great orders mechanic that borrows (some would say improves on) from Diplomacy (also recommended).

Diis

[Edit--Accidentally left out "enough" in my post above referring to AGoT, which changes the whole meaning of the post.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been enjoying Conquest of the Fallen Lands, which is about as light as Blue Moon City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.