Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if that -3, far from allowing you to stay in the game, actually guarantees your loss. If anyone still managed to win a game that way, I'd love to hear how.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Mendicant, certainly.

I have won a couple solo games (>50) with begging cards in hand. I do not think that I've seen it in multiplayer. I do think that there is room to explore taking begging cards early to concentrate on something else, but haven't done so, yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure there are cases of that.

I've lost, by ONE point, a 2-player game where I took 2 begging cards, and I have played in a five-player game where one player (not me) also took 2 begging cards and lost by a single point.

In either of those cases if only one begging card was taken the loser would have won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Derrick
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
Even towards the end of the game, most of your individual actions tend to only produce 2VP's each.

Therefore even if it costs you an entire action just to generate that 1 food required to avoid begging, it's at worst VP neutral and, in fact, likely to net at least one VP better than begging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won it with 2 begging cards. I've never seen a game so scarce on food...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
I once took a begging card in order to set up an infrastructure that had me planting 2 corn and 3 wood before the first harvest, needed 3 occupations and 3 minor improvements to kick start it.

Wouldn't have needed to beg if I'd got the cheaper occupation action for one of the 3.
It was my 2nd game and I managed to beat 2 experienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dead jawa wrote:
Has anyone ever won a game where they took a begging card?

Two to be precise. Yes, I won with two begging cards. No mendicant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
I have won after taking a single begging card and two begging cards before. Last game I played, in fact, I won by 9 points with 2 begging cards because I made a mistake in the middle of the game. I am not sure how I still won by 9 points, but I did win pretty soundly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It happened to me once - I made a mistake and forgot to bake bread so I had to take 2 begging cards.

I don't remember details however I was able to build rooms with 2 clays and had additional clay delivery (can't recall what exactly). I finished with circa about 41-43 points which was more than 10 points over the 2nd player.

TBH I was more experienced than other players so I don't think it was a representative game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've won with 1 begging card. But do note that we were all newbs (in a 5 player game). Still, only one other player had a begging card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DY_75 wrote:
Even towards the end of the game, most of your individual actions tend to only produce 2VP's each.

The thing is, actions in stage 1 or stage 2 are worth more than 2VPs. Depending on the situation, I bet that some actions are worth far more than 3VPs. It's a snowball effect. I would never take an action to give me a single food in stage 1 if there is anything else viable.

I have won several times with anywhere up to 3 begging cards.

Cue the "but you were playing with newbs and/or morons!" whine. Possibly, but it's hard to play a game 40 times in a month without rotating through a variety of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2-player I once took a begging card and have still won many points ahead. It's feasible, I guess, but your opponent needs to do mistakes as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it is possible. I guess I should qualify this by saying that so far, I've only been playing the Family game with friends. I haven't gotten to try the full game yet.

I can see how if everyone loses focus on food in order to build up their farm, then the begging cards sort of cancel out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Pix
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dead jawa wrote:
Just wondering if that -3, far from allowing you to stay in the game, actually guarantees your loss. If anyone still managed to win a game that way, I'd love to hear how.

Yep, I won once (together with another player) scoring 31 in a family game, 5 players. I made a mistake so I had to beg once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor-Davies
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have won a game with 2 begging cards. As long as you take them because you were distracted building something else up, it needn't be fatal. In my case I messed up the timing in getting my baking empire working, and had to take 2 cards. I was never hungry afterwards though because I was able to get 10 or more food each time I baked, and had plenty of actions left to do othr stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Derrick
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
dcorban wrote:

The thing is, actions in stage 1 or stage 2 are worth more than 2VPs. Depending on the situation, I bet that some actions are worth far more than 3VPs. It's a snowball effect. I would never take an action to give me a single food in stage 1 if there is anything else viable.

This is a valid point, still you want to be careful that the begging card will pay itself off in the long run

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yesterday evening - I had to take a begging card after round 7 and won the game by 3 or 4 points. (3-player, one equally experienced player and one playung his third game)
You can say I won due to my good card hand (it wasn't overpowered good, but still better than the hands of my opponents) but on the other hand I had to take this begging card due to my 4 occupations played in the first 6 rounds (3 in the first 3) - so with a different card hand I wouldn't have taken this begging card...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:

yay! for once we agree =) exactly what i wanted to answer too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Sullivan
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Thursday, I somehow won a 3-player game after getting nailed with TWO begging cards. After getting them, I was so depressed, I was sure I was going to lose and it was only the 1st or 2nd harvest. But I stuck to my guns and went for maximum family growth with stone houses and pulled out a win somehow. I was playing against an experienced player and a gamer friend of mine.

So yeah, it's possible. Don't give up if you get nailed with a begging card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Piatkus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
I played a 3-player game recently in which we used all the begging cards. No really. I had one, another player had one, and the third had three. He didn't win.

I suspect that they actually become more common in experienced groups, as people aggressively take the building resources in the hope of getting ahead, and assume the food will take care of itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Targrend wrote:
I suspect that they actually become more common in experienced groups

I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, my wife won a four player game with a begging card. She was able to play Mother of Twins and was unable to completely feed her new brood the next harvest.

But she spent the rest of the game with more actions than the rest of us, and she played well too, so she won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Dickson
United States
National City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a five player game that was played pretty badly all around. One player was sure they had lost because they had a begging card. I had two but a mendicant. Turns out three players tied with 25 points, including the "loser" with the begging card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lowe
United States
Hayward
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Last night my friend beat us all in a 5 player game after taking 6 begging cards for -18 points. He expanded to 5 family members in stage 2 using some combination of Thatcher and Carpenter. Don't remember exactly. He had Mansion at the end of the game with 5 stone rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Corrie
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What everyone has said.

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.