Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

The rules state (top of page 5), "To declare an attack you must legally enter a sector (see movement), where all of your opponent's pieces have a social status less than or equal to your piece(s) that is entering."

Haven't played yet, so this may be a naive question.

The movement rules allow for someone already in the region to help a lesser player enter. Does this apply to clearing the bar above for attackers as well? That is, which of the following are legal:

Scenario -- Region is occupied by two merchants, valued 5 and 4.

1. Can I enter with a thieves valued 3 and 4 in the same turn?

2. Can I enter with a thief of value 6, and then enter a thief value 3 (supported by the 6 as in movement rules) as well?

My guess is that neither is legal, but I would like someone who's played to verify please. The way I'm currently interpreting the rule book would seem to give knights a BIG advantage, which may be exactly what the author intended.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that social status and strength value are two different things.the numbers on the pieces are the strength value and the class of each piece is the social status.So in situation 1 and 2 it seems that it would be legal because the thief is a higher social status then the merchent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

That seems to be correct. I needed to read more carefully. Thank you very much!

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Commorato
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jbetz45453 wrote:
Keep in mind that social status and strength value are two different things.the numbers on the pieces are the strength value and the class of each piece is the social status.So in situation 1 and 2 it seems that it would be legal because the thief is a higher social status then the merchent.

Yes, you're correct!

The Social Status system is represented by the 'height' of the piece, not the number which is its Strength & Movement value (SV).

So, in Sagrilarus' questions, the Thieves may enter (and thereby Attack) the Merchants in both cases because the Thieves have a Higher Social Status (bigger piece).

Also keep in mind that Thieves may Attack other Thieves as well - but for them to Attack Knights would be a different story - unless 'No Sanctions' are in that particular Sector (and Chaos, too) as both of these cards lifts the Social Status rule.

Mike Commorato
Mercom Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Commorato
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

2. Can I enter with a thief of value 6, and then enter a thief value 3 (supported by the 6 as in movement rules) as well?

Sag,

I think I might not have understood this part of your question, so let me be a bit clearer.

A piece's SV# also determines how 'far' he may move into Miseria.
Eg. A Beggar SV 4 can move as far as the Towers as the Tower's numbers are 4. So this SV4 Beggar may NOT enter The Castle 5 by himself. The Social Status Law comes into play here. It's almost as if there is a Castle Diplomat at the Castle door stopping anyone with an SV of 4 or less to enter.
This Law holds true for ANY Sector.

Now, if there are any other of YOUR guild members in a particular Sector, whose SV is Equal to or Greater than that Sector, they can actually 'invite' the lower SV's in.

Eg 2. In the above example; if you already have another one of your pieces in the Castle, let's say a Thief SV6, then the Beggar SV4 IS allowed to enter the Castle, the Thief SV6 has the Social 'Power' to let the Beggar in.
Even if in a later turn the Thief SV6 moves out of the Castle, it's OK that he leaves the Beggar SV4 behind. But, once that Beggar leaves, he cannot re-enter the Castle unless he has the same 'help' as before.

Scenario: (Sometimes this may happen)
A Beggar SV3 might have been 'invited' into the Castle because of previous 'help'.
Now the 'previous help' leaves the Castle, thereby stranding the Beggar SV3 behind.
Future turns leave this Beggar in the Castle as he cannot enter the Towers as they have a number of 4.
Of course, if there was another of your pieces in the Tower WITH AN SV of 4 OR MORE, then the Beggar SV3 may leave the Castle and enter the Tower.
A piece with an SV of 3 or less does NOT have the 'authority' to let 'lower' SV pieces into the Tower.

I hope this sums up the various movement law throughout Miseria.
Mike 'Mercom'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Commorato
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And, on top of it all, a No Sanctions card (in a Sector) or a Chaos card (entire board one round) negates these movement rules!

No Sanctions - Any SV piece may move into that Sector PLUS any piece may attack any other piece regardless of Social Status - it simply doesn't exist in that Sector.

Defenses Down - Defender doesn't get the Defense Value of the Sector during Battle.

Chaos - (lasts 1 round only; then discard) It's as if No Sanctions AND Defenses Down cards have been played in EVERY SECTOR for 1 round (Beggars thru Knights). Good luck with this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.