Repeat Pete!» Forums » Reviews

Subject: I'd probably rather not Repeat Pete rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob McStravit
msg tools
mb
Contents:

The cardboard board is durable enough. The playing pieces are simple (like the ones in Sorry!). The cards are fairly sturdy. Nothing special, but nothing too cheap either.

Rules:

Repeat Pete has very simple game mechanics. You sit in a circle and take turns drawing cards that have actions on them. There are five types of actions:

Pictures: You perform the action represented by the picture.
Animal Pictures: You act and sound like the animal shown.
Action and Sound: Perform the action with a sound (e.g. cry like a baby)
Action: Perform action without sound (e.g. salute)
Say Something: Speak the words written (e.g. i'm beautiful)

Basically someone draws a card and then performs the action. Then the next person in the circle draws a card, performs the first action, then performs the action on their card. It's a game about memory. It gets harder and harder as there are more and more actions to remember. There are also 3 special cards that alter the game slightly. "Reverse direction of play" does exactly what it says, as does "Skip your turn." "Do 2 actions in a row" forces the player to draw 2 cards, introducing a bit more to remember into the round.

The round ends when someone messes up, which is pretty quickly in my experience. The most interesting part of the game is movement. You move The board is 12 squares long, and you move one square for each card you have in front of you. That means that if you had to drew twice in a round (repeating everyone's actions in order each time) you'd move 2 squares. The cool part is that the person who messes up rolls a six-sided die and has to move backward that number of spaces.

Review:

The game is moderately entertaining, but there isn't much to it. It seemed easy enough for someone to never mess up, and when one person doesn't have to go back a space, there's really not much competition. I know that party games like this aren't supposed to be competitive, but I wish there was a little more. Also, a lot of the cards are silent, so there's way to much quiet time for a party game. They should keep you laughing, but this one has a lot of awkward moments. Also, the actions aren't really that exciting. Others have mentioned that this would make a great drinking game, and I agree, because acting out surfing just isn't that entertaining to watch normally, but I imagine that other under circumstances it might be. Repeat Pete markets itself as a family game however, and in that light, I don't think it's the greatest game around. It is somewhat fun, but it's not that challenging and the actions themselves aren't that interesting to perform. Though there aren't any specific rules for this, I would suggest setting an extremely small time limit on the game. That would force people to power through the actions more and more quickly as more actions got thrown into the mix and might be more fun to watch. In the end, this game probably isn't worth your money because you can play it anyway. Just go in the circle and have everyone perform some action and make fun of the person who can't remember. The cards aren't really that necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smijin wrote:
The round ends when someone messes up, which is pretty quickly in my experience.
It seemed easy enough for someone to never mess up, and when one person doesn't have to go back a space, there's really not much competition.

I played this for the first time tonight with a group of casual players and everyone really had a great time! I'm hoping to try it with a few other groups over the coming two weeks.

That said I'm puzzled by the previous two statements in your review... they almost seem to contradict. "People mess up often"... followed by "it's easy to not mess up". Can you clarify what you mean?

From my experience, I agree that errors were often so the game actually moved along pretty quickly (45 mins?). I think the maximum queue of cards to repeat hit about 7-8. We also played in a public setting (a coffee shop) and I was surprised everyone was willing to do the silly gestures, but that's going to vary from person to person. Initially I said people could skip cards they weren't comfortable performing in a public setting, but nobody took me up on that.

It also seemed like the laughing and having a good time was the frequent cause for memory lapse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob McStravit
msg tools
mb
Haha yeah that does sound pretty stupid now that you quote it! What I meant was that if someone is really trying hard not to mess up, it's easy for that individual person to keep going for a long time and never be the one who ends it, but there are a lot of people who don't try, so others tend to mess up quickly. Basically when I've played I've been more competitive so I never lost once, which was made easier because other people lost so frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.