Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first solo game and gone through my ritual re-reading of the rules. Excellent game. Only one question so far:

Phase II: Movement rules state that investigators who attempt to leave or end their movement in a location with monsters must fight or evade.

Based on this, if a monster moves into a location with an investigator (through the operation of a Mythos card) I'm presuming that the investigator does not have to fight or evade the monster unless they choose to leave on the next Movement Phase. So, if the investigator remains in a location then they will not need to fight or evade the monster - hoping that the monster is forced to move elsewhere on the next Mythos phase. Is this correct? I know it's not really beneficial for the investigator to stay put in the whole "investigating" scheme of things but I'm just trying to confirm that I've interpreted the rules correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the movement phase, even if you aren't moving, you still have to deal with each monster in your location or street. Just because you have no plans to leave your current area doesn't mean that you don't have to attempt to remain hidden from the monsters there (evading) or to confront them (battle).

The only exception to this is that if you return from the Other World, you don't have to deal with any monsters on the gate location for that round. This means that if you return on the Movement phase, you don't have to deal with those monsters, because you only deal with monsters on the board during the Movement phase.

If, however, you return to Arkham via an Other World encounter or via a Mythos effect, you don't get that freebie--a new round will have begun before your next movement phase. Sometimes an Other World card sending you home is a benefit--sometimes you're better off moving out on your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris. I was just confused by the fact that the movement rules under Evading Monsters seemed so specific about attempting to leave a location or ending movement in a location but didn't refer to staying at a location. Didn't make much sense that you could hang around and the monster(s) wouldn't spot you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you stay at a location, you end your movement there. Just because you chose to move 0 doesn't mean you didn't have a movement phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batdog wrote:
hoping that the monster is forced to move elsewhere on the next Mythos phase

In addition to the other points raised, I don't think monsters move during the Mythos phase if they share a space with an investigator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beri wrote:
If you stay at a location, you end your movement there. Just because you chose to move 0 doesn't mean you didn't have a movement phase.

Well, a lot of people on the FFG forums are discussing movement as it relates to being delayed. When can you read tomes? When can you cast Vision Quest or Find Gate? Someone suggested that when you're delayed, your movement is to become "un-delayed," but you can't use Vision Quest, which indicates you cast it "after ending your movement." However, if you're delayed, you don't have a movement, so you can't cast it. On that logic, and following the semantics that Ian pointed out, if you're delayed in a location with monsters, you don't have to deal with them on your next movement. This is obviously not the case, but the issue of the movement phase is still under consideration by the FFG cultists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shellie Rose
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember it by thinking of the movement phase as "Movement & Monsters." Dealing with monsters always occurs during your movement. Therefore, if at any time during your movement phase you are on the same space as a monster, you have to deal with the monster. The exception is if your movement that turn involves moving to or from one of the other dimensions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ubarose wrote:
I remember it by thinking of the movement phase as "Movement & Monsters." Dealing with monsters always occurs during your movement. Therefore, if at any time during your movement phase you are on the same space as a monster, you have to deal with the monster. The exception is if your movement that turn involves moving to or from one of the other dimensions.

This is not exactly true. You don't move to the Other World during the Movement phase. Entering an open gate occurs on the Arkham Encounters phase--and you still have to deal with monsters on the gate's location when you get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shellie Rose
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
ubarose wrote:

This is not exactly true. You don't move to the Other World during the Movement phase. Entering an open gate occurs on the Arkham Encounters phase--and you still have to deal with monsters on the gate's location when you get there.

Thanks Chris. You are correct. That should have been: The exception is if your movement that turn involves moving to Arkham from one of the other dimensions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.