Subject: How does one know what constitutes a "fair trade"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I have not participated in BGG's trade options, although I've used the marketplace. Right now, I'm really just building my collection to the way I want it, but I will commonly look at people's trade lists and have at least THOUGHT about participating.

Assuming I decide to do so, how do I know what I'm offering [or being offered for that matter] is a "fair trade"? For example, the only game I'd be likely to trade right now is an unplayed Western copy of Xiangqi; I basically opened the box, looked at it and looked at the set's rules presentation. Now, as a gamer [rather than a collector] I don't really have unplayed games other than this and the only reason this is unplayed is because I have a traditional Xiangqi set which I much prefer and which was given to me at the same time as this one. So, I'm not sure of its value. What would then be a "comparable" game to this in trade and more importantly how would I know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't know that there is a reasonable trade value you can put to your item. If someone wants it and they have something you want then at least you've got the start of the trade. Condition, value, edition, Publisher and all make an item more or less valuable to another player.

Sorry, not what you're really looking for in your query but it's the best I can think of as I don't really think there is a 'fair' answer to your 'fair trade' question.

good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks anyway, although maybe someone else has something more specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If both of you want what the other guy has more than the thing you have, it's a fair trade. There's really no more to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Thanks anyway, although maybe someone else has something more specific.

About the most specific advice I can give is a combination of eBay/marketplace/online retailer price average + shipping costs + how much you really want something.

Every item has a different value, especially if it is out of print, that adds to the "value" of a trade. Where you've gotta ship can have a huge impact on the "value" of a trade. If I can ship something inside the states in a flat rate box and someone else wants the same item shipped to them in Antarctica with me paying the shipping price, the value of the in states shipping iteme goes way up. Then there's the, in my opinion, unquatifiable want "value" to add in there. Right now I REALLY want a copy of Ta Yü, at the same time I REALLY want a copy of Age of Steam. If I were to be offered a trade for either item with me sending off the same thing to the other person, I honestly thing I'd just have to flip a coin. Now if there was a for sure re-print date for AoS, I'd probably take Ta Yü ASAP.

Just my opinions of course and you know what they say about opinions. Ten people will probably have ten different opinions of the value of ten trades. It all depends on how badly you want a copy of the game you're looking for in the end.

Good luck in all your trades, it's a great way to get what you see to be crap out of your collection and get something, no matter how small the value, in return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's in print, I generally use eBay/online shop value to roughly determine what constitutes a fair trade.

In the event it's out of print, I'll use eBay value. If that's not available, I'll use BGG marketplace value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreadnaut wrote:
If it's in print, I generally use eBay/online shop value to roughly determine what constitutes a fair trade.

In the event it's out of print, I'll use eBay value. If that's not available, I'll use BGG marketplace value.

I think that's a pretty sound approach, but the problem with the BGG marketplace value is that there's no information available on different editions and that can make a large difference. Perfect examples of this that spring to mind are the games Acquire and Cosmic Encounter. Some versions are worth far more (or far less, depending upon your perspective) than others. But there's a forum here for game valuations where you can describe your game, and perhaps supply a picture, and someone might be able to give you an idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, the question has already been answered, whatever makes both sides of the trade happy is fair.

Usually that means taking the cash value of the game and shipping cost into consideration, plus any differential you might add/subtract based on your personal desire for the other game. At all times its a personal valuation, there is no 'official' way to determine it.

In this case, Xiang-Qi sets, being a public domain game like Chess, Checkers, Backgammon, etc., aren't hard to find. You'd have to be a lot more specific about its composition for anyone to guess what it is worth.

I can go the chinese oddity store at the mall and pick up a set (Wooden disks, paper 'board') for as little as $4. A nicer set, maybe engraved, nicely laquered pieces, wooden board, could be $30+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's simple. If I have something that's doing nothing but taking up space on a shelf and the other guy is offering something I want to play, I'll trade. I really don't care about the "value" of it -- especially in cases where the item I'm trading was free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When both parties are satisfied with a trade, then I call it fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I try not to worry to much about balance in terms of price to much. You are rarely going match dollar for dollar on a trade so you have to make a judgment call. While you should know the value of the games involved and there's nothing wrong with that being a factor in your decision on making a trade, unless it's extremely lopsided it shouldn't be the main deciding factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no harm in offering a trade, so make an offer for what you think it is worth. The worst thing that can happen is they reject it.

I've offered a few trades, had them rejected, I rejected the counter-offers. No big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst thing is to not reply. I have made a lot of what I consider fair trade requests and they simply get ignored. If your going to put things in the system for trade at least have the common courtesy to reply to a trade request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heckle Jekyll
United States
Knox
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figure out the FMV (Fair market value)

I'd not try to get too complicated in figuring these things out - stick with the simple - determine how much would cost you to purchase a copy of Xiangqi. A fair trade would be an equivalent valued game in return. Adjust for wear and tear, shipping, etc.

If you cannot find the FMV of Xiangqi then start tracking copies of Xiangqi selling on ebay by marking the "Watch this item" in your My ebay account and this should give you a good indication of its FMV.

It looks like there are quite a few copies selling on ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Embark
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The simplest answer was the best one.

I always ask myself "Do I want that game more than I want this one?" If yes then it's fair to me.

Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another source of research might be to look at math trades and see what was in the chain before and after the item. However, I suspect there are rather more outlying data points in math trades than elsewhere.

There's also a difference between a "fair trade" (anything where both parties are satisfied) and a "reasonable offer" (where the person getting the offer isn't likely to feel that the offer is wasting their time.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.