1 Posts

Wallenstein (first edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Strauss
United States
flag msg tools
After I had a chance to play Wallenstein online at I was really looking forward to playing it in person. Although, even though I managed to get through the online 2 player version I still had lots of things that I did not understand with the concept and mechanics of the game. The computer can do so much for you which can be a problem sometimes. So, needless to say, after a brief intro and rules review we began our 4 player game with the basic startup. This was to save some time (which was a good discussion as the game took about 4 hours anyway).

I was handed the brown player which placed most of my provinces in the middle of the board. A fact that I would have liked to change later in the game, but hindsight is always 20/20. Luckily I had read an article the stressed the importance of building buildings early.

The first round was pretty basic as there was little confrontation and a lot of building. Players were mainly scooping up as many empty provinces as possible for easy expansion. The longest part of the game (for all the seasons) was when we were deciding what our actions would be. It quickly became evident that there were and would be many though decisions to be made through the rest of the game. By the end of the first year I was really feeling the punch of being the only player that did not have a province that produced 5 grain. Fortunately it was a very forgiving winter as there was a grain loss of 0. Year one saw a few battles, but for the most part the year was one of building buildings, expanding into empty territories and building up massive armies. This was setting year 2 up for some interesting developments as players began to jockey with enormous armies (10+) sitting in provinces. I was in the lead (making me very happy) at the end of year one. However this soon turned out to be not so good as I was to become the target of many of the massive armies in year two.

Now year two began with 4 event cards that guaranteed an interest and potentially brutal winter as the lightest grain subtraction was to be -4. The spring started off with a blast as armies began moving and crushing both the defenders and some surprise upsets for the attackers (that wonderful tower). The farmers began to rise up and also proved to be a formidable obstacle as well. Now the players who were not in the lead at the end of year one, but had spent their money on troops were making life very difficult for the rest of us. I was having to decide which provinces were worth defending and which ones to sacrifice. By the time winter came all the players were facing the fact of being short on grain. Each of us also seemed to have a good amount of armies in play and we were planning on using them before the year was over. So the winter promised many epic battles. As it turned out half of the battles ended up in ties, which meant total destruction for the defender, but no further profits for the attacked. This did prove to keep the game very close as no one player seemed to benefit abnormally compared to the other players.

At the game end after having many many revolts and further loses of provinces (causing more chaos) I managed to tie for the win. So we provided down the list of tie breakers. Next was who had the most cathedrals... a tie again. When we counted churches next I saw my doom as my opponent had about twice as many. A tough loss, but a great close game. I am looking forward to my next one.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.