Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've missed the boy’s earlier adventures through the world of HeroQuest, you can find links to them at the end of this report.

Preparations

With the boys being tanks (Att/Def 3/4, Att/Def 3/4 and Att/Def 4/3) they didn't bother with any gear. The only thing of interest left in the Gift Shop was the Plate Armour, which was still out of reach.

Isaac (8) - Barbarian (JJ) [Talisman of Lore + Helmet + Shield]

Alex (6) - Elf (A.K.T - Alex's initials) [Borin's Armour + Broadsword]

Patty + Riley (4) - Dwarf (Gimli) [Battle Axe + Chain Mail]

To up the difficulty I made Alex choose a set of spells from memory. The little bugger picked Water and still ended up with the Water of Healing Spell.

Scenario Background

Race Against Time - A guide has led you into a dungeon that is rumoured to hold a great secret. He has led you down many dark corridors and finally you find yourself in a room with three doors. Suddenly the guide puts out his torch and in the darkness you hear him laugh. Farewell my Heroes, he sneers as he makes his escape. You realise to your horror that it is a trap! You must escape or perish ion this dark forgotten hole.

Missed by...'That Much!'

Two and a half months had passed since the boys had last slipped into their HeroQuest gear. Work had just been flat out last term, but now the holidays were here!

Looking at the map it became apparent that my best chance lay in the early rooms. Riley helped me a little by charging Gimli into a room to come face to face with 3 Orcs that hadn't tasted fresh meat in months. His fellow Barbarian and Elf were soon knee deep in Orc carcass but not before Gimli had taken a couple wounds.

I was just beginning to look around for my umbrella, to shield me from the flood of tears when Alex came charging through the door and cast his Water of Healing Spell.

Soon enough the 3 initial rooms were cleared and Riley had even found a Potion of Healing.

I had been that close to causing an upset, but alas it was not to be. The remainder of the dungeon held little challenge thanks to my poor rolling and lack of firepower.

Funnily enough Riley managed to acquire 150gp out of the total 160gp that was found for the game. Dwarves have a nose for gold eh!

Image Courtesy of Shadowen

The Highlights

d10-1 Riley - When under pressure in the early rooms and faced by a Wandering Monster Firmir, Riley rolled 3 Skulls in attack and let out an exuberant..."I hit the Jackpot."

d10-2 Isaac and Alex - Even though Riley would charge his way to the front every time, both boys confirmed that early lessons had been learnt as they never deviated from each other at all, making many a comment about sticking together. Alex even had the common sense to stay outside a closed door when his movement wouldn't allow him to do more than open it.

They are learning to use the rules of a game to their advantage!

To the Gift Shop

As per above, no need to go shopping.

The Kill Count

The boys racked up another impressive kill count, with Riley's reckless rampaging paying dividends.

Isaac (JJ - Barbarian)

0 Gargoyle (1)
0 Chaos Warriors (2)
0 Mummies (2)
0 Zombies (2 including Karlen)
0 Skeletons (1)
4 Firmirs (4)
2 Orcs (2)
2 Goblins (2)

Total = 17

Alex (A.K.T. - Elf)

3 Goblins (10)
6 Orcs (16 including Grak)
0 Chaos Warrior (3)
1 Fimir (6)
0 Mummies (3)
0 Gargoyle (1)
0 Skeletons (3)
0 Sorcerers (Balur)

Total = 43

Riley + Patty (Gimli - Dwarf)

3 Orcs (19 including Ulag)
3 Goblins (15)
1 Chaos Warrior (5)
1 Fimir (6)
0 Mummies (4)
0 Skeletons (8)
0 Zombies (2)

Total = 56

The Quest Rolls On

Make sure to join the Thomson Boy's next adventure, as they prepare to bumble their way through the 'Castle of Mystery'. I've been waiting for this one for some time.

Links

Adventure #1 - Blooding a New Generation of AT Gamers

Adventure #2 - The Thomson Boys Save Sir Ragnar

Adventure #3 - The Thomson Boys - Gimli's Comedic Sense of Timing

Adventure #4 - The Thomson Boys Learn HeroQuest Strategy

Adventure #5 - The Thomson Boys - When Heroes Turn to Cowards

Adventure #6 - The Thomson Boys - Dark Days

Adventure #7 - The Thomson Boys - Tanks for the Memories

Adventure #8 - The Thomson Boys - Tricks and Traps

Adventure #10 - The Thomson Boys - A Dwarf, an Elf and a Barbarian walk into a Magic Castle...

Adventure #11 - The Thomson Boys - A Dwarven King Departs...

Adventure #12 - The Thomson Boys - Tombstones and Trinkets

Adventure #13 - The Thomson Boys - A Sword to Far?

Adventure #14 - The Thomson Boys - A Light at the End of the Tunnel...(Staaay awaaay from the Liiight)

Links

I have now added all of these sessions to a Geeklist to have them in one place. You can find these and many other Session Reports here :-

Narrative Tales - Legacies and Other Campaigns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahah! I knew that scouring BGG for the n-th time just before I leave work would pay off!

Great report, and good to see some action again from your boys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castle of Mystery has some weird rules, and an unlucky player can be auto-killed by the teleporters, IIRC. And it forces the players to split up.

Keep the umbrella handy next game, Neil. It might be your last chance to kill the characters before plate armor makes them next to invincible, and the Witch Lord quests become extremely easy as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac took out four Firmirs? Yikes! He was making some good rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
d10-2 Isaac and Alex - Even though Riley would charge his way to the front every time, both boys confirmed that early lessons had been learnt as they never deviated from each other at all, making many a comment about sticking together.
Wow - who are these boys, and what have they done with Isaac and Alex? laugh

That's actually a relief that your hard lessons earlier may have taken seed, as painful as they were to all involved (including yourself).
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Isaac took out four Firmirs? Yikes! He was making some good rolls.

You better believe it. He was rolling 3 Skulls about 60% of the time. I on the other hand would roll 3 Skulls in defence and countless times when I had 2 or 3 attacks on one character, I would end up rolling 1 hit total for all attacks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigfluffylemon wrote:
The Castle of Mystery has some weird rules, and an unlucky player can be auto-killed by the teleporters, IIRC. And it forces the players to split up.

Keep the umbrella handy next game, Neil. It might be your last chance to kill the characters before plate armor makes them next to invincible, and the Witch Lord quests become extremely easy as a result.

And you can check out the boys progress right here -

The Thomson Boys - A Dwarf, an Elf and a Barbarian Walk into a Magic Castle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.