Popular Tags: [View All]
Bart Vandermeulen
Belgium
Herent
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I've been looking to pick up an RPG/dungeon crawler, but am not sure which one... and since most of these games are fairly costly,
I better make it count. And here's where I need your help

So what am I looking for:
- The main problem with these games: length. I don't want it to last too long. A 2-3 hour game is probably max I can keep my friends going.
- Preferably in co-op (full co-op or with a DM, both should be fine.)
- Not utterly expensive (which probably rules out most OOP's)
- If possible with items, upgrades, leveling up, ... (you know, no static characters)

At the moment I have my eye on Tomb. It's not co-op, but fits the bill pretty much for anything else. (others like runebound & talisman, don't seem "grab" me).

Another one that seems interesting is Descent but... I read it can last up to 8 hours and that the monsters feel too fragile.

I hope this kinda gives you an idea what I'm looking for.
And now I hope you guys can point me in a few directions.

Thanks!

G

[edited for spelling]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef Pauwels
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Warhammer Quest? It's OOP but maybe you can find a decent version somewhere. The advantage of this one is that you can advance over games, in a campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef Pauwels
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also played Dungeons & Dragons: The Fantasy Adventure Board Gamea couple of times. Might be easier to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WARNING: I was a developer on the following game and work for the publisher.

I recommend taking a look at Munchkin Quest when it comes out. The game plays in two to three hours (with four players), is definitely not static (characters, board, monsters . . . all change as the game progresses), and is a pure dungeon crawl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think straight up Dungeons & Dragons sounds like your best bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Baden
United States
Berkeley Lake
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Descent road to legend or D&D 4th edition. You should be able to limit either to 3 hours per session and both have good campaign modes. The new D&D is in reality a board game as nearly all the role playing has been removed. It is still good, but more tactical than narrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Another one that seems interesting is Descent but... I read it can last up to 8 hours and that the monsters feel too fragile.

I think Descent + Road to Legend fits your criteria perfectly. You can play a long campaign in small sessions of 2-3h and everyone cooperates vs. the Overlord (not exaclty a DM, because he must play competitively to win).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best option is probably Dungeon Plungin'. It meets all of your criteria. It has cheap, involves leveling up and upgrades, is quick (can fit in your timeframe), and you can play fully co-op. The rules are really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you strip D&D 4th down on the roleplaying side (which is already not that much compared to other RPGs) you have a very fine tactical dungeoncrawler, better that Descent in my eyes. You can play in seassions as you see fit, especially if you design the adventures yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Vandermeulen
Belgium
Herent
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NeonBlue wrote:
What about Warhammer Quest? It's OOP but maybe you can find a decent version somewhere. The advantage of this one is that you can advance over games, in a campaign.

Looks good...
Fancy minis, modular boards, and a DM is not needed, ...
I'll keep it on my radar on ebay...
PhilReed wrote:
WARNING: I was a developer on the following game and work for the publisher.

I recommend taking a look at Munchkin Quest when it comes out. The game plays in two to three hours (with four players), is definitely not static (characters, board, monsters . . . all change as the game progresses), and is a pure dungeon crawl.

Is this the boardgame of the PnP?
(The art looks familiar)

I'll also have a look for the original D&D but was expecting it to very rare nowadays, or am I wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NeonBlue wrote:

I highly recommend this given every criterion you've posted apart from price. It's still quite a popular OOP title, so you'll be lucky to find it for a reasonable cost on the secondary market. If you are lucky enough to do so, go for it! It's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogbreath wrote:
Descent road to legend or D&D 4th edition. You should be able to limit either to 3 hours per session and both have good campaign modes. The new D&D is in reality a board game as nearly all the role playing has been removed. It is still good, but more tactical than narrative.

It's tough (although not impossible) to get a decent game of D&D in inside 2-3 hours. You may need to houserule it a bit (one suggestion the developers make is to halve the monster hit-points).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Hopkins
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Munchkin Quest is a dungeon-crawling boardgame based on the D&D parody card-game "Munchkin". Personally I have acquired a fairly strong distaste for the card game, but I know nothing about the boardgame. Heck, I'd even be interested in giving it a go!

Oh boy, don't try and play the original D&D. It is indeed very rare. The collectors will be driving the price *way* up. However, a new edition (fourth edition) came out just a few months ago, and if all you want is a tactical dungeon crawling experience, you can't go past it. It's one of the best fantasy tactical boardgames I've ever seen (although there are no minis included ). It's got a number of very interesting to play, tactically diverse PC classes, and the monsters all have unique monster powers to surprise players with. The main driver of the tactical combat system is the selection of at-will, once-per-battle and once-per-day powers that players have to choose from; it is very rare for even the "boring fighter" classes to be reduced to simply rolling to hit and damage each turn. The awesomeness of the combat rules do very much overshadow the rather minimal "out of combat" mechanics that are presented in the books, which may actually be to your advantage in this situation.

If you want to go that way, you'd definitely need a PHB, a Monster Manual, and a battlegrid (preferably one you can draw on with dry-erase whiteboard markers). You can get minis if you want 'em - maybe buy cheap second-hand cast-offs from other games? IMO The Dungeon Master's Guide is optional if you're planning to play the game as a board gaming exercise since it is basically just a collection of advice on how to run interesting games, and has no significant rules content that I'm aware of. (Maybe something on traps?)

It is definitely a much more satisfying combat game than any of the dungeon-crawling fantasy board games I've tried (including Warhammer Quest). Mileage may vary if the system is used for traditional "complete RPG" purposes or if players are looking for a shallower combat game, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Hopkins
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh, one other thing: you've said that Talisman doesn't grab you. I strongly endorse that first impression, based on the other criteria you've listed. For a start, Talisman games can easily become interminable (way more than 2-3 hours), and personally the lack of control over your character drives me absolutely crazy. Warhammer Quest and Descent would both be better choices, I expect, especially if you can find a way to chop an epic Descent session into more manageable chunks. I haven't played Descent so I can't speak from experience there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh

Sydney
NSW
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Descent plus Road to Legend--it really does fit what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite what everyone is saying, with the playtime you are asking for, the best choice really would be Tomb, if you are looking for a current game with availability. If you include out of print games, warhammer quest may be okay.

Dungeonquest isn't cooperative, but it can be short. devil

Talisman is a nice game if you end it with whoever gets to the crown of command first wins the game, and have player elimination instead of players choosing another character when they die. It could go within that 2-3 hour time limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dodor
United States
St. Paul
MN
flag msg tools
badge
I'm gonna be the next Canadian Dracula
mbmbmbmbmb
Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Vandermeulen
Belgium
Herent
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all!
Got a few nice pointers now.
As a round-up:

Tomb: Maybe waiting for a v2.0 (heard rules weren't too good + some small issue with the portraits) but this is getting close.
D&D: If available at a decent price
Descent + RTL: Will have to read some more about the expansion, but sounds nice so far (price might be a bit high for base + exp.)
Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel : Just read about this one. This could be great too, only problem is that 5 players seem to be the sweet spot, and anything less is a fairly big step down.

Thanks for all the replies so far! (thumbs for all)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Plungin' appears to meet all your criteria

Edit : Apparently we are on the same wave length Scott.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Elison
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more vote for Decent and ad-ons. The game is just fun and a lot of the smaller scenarios wont take nearly 8 hours. If the DM gets lucky it can be over pretty quick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.