Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now it's been a long time since a session report for this game has been logged. It's also been a long time since I played the game. In fact, I only have one recorded playing of this here at the Geek (I think I had more playings, but they must have been before I started keeping track). All that happiness aside, I finally got this on the table again this past Saturday.

This was to be our last game of the evening. A first time for my opponent, Stephen, although he is not new to the Axis & Allies franchise. I chose the Allied side since I thought this to be the harder side to play. I chose to use the fortune cards along with the order cards and left the tactic cards out. I explained the rules and within ten minutes of setting up, the invasion began.

Right from the get go I knew I was in trouble. My units landing at Omaha were wiped out within two turns and my US reinforcements did nothing to help as they only trickled in at best. I also ran into somewhat of a road block at Utah as Stephen consolidated his German forces around me, presumably to slow down my advance. Meanwhile, the British seemed to be having an easier, a-historical advance on Caen. British forces had moved into Caen and were keeping the German hordes at bay for now. On the second turn disaster struck, both Allied bombers were shot down. I had already lost two of my fighters as well. This opened up the flow of reinforcements for the Germans since now they could move about a little more freely without the threat of being straffed.

As the game progressed into the middle turns, the US forces as Omaha continued to be bogged down. I was also unable to move past Utah beach as the Germans kept pouring units in to delay my advance. Finally, on turn six, the US got a foothold on Omaha and were ready to advance. The going would be tough however, because of my limited air power Stephen was able to thickly fortify his forces around St. Lo. His panzers and infantry were able to keep chipping away at the British around Caen. Not a good thing as by now the British reserves had dried up. The fortune cards continued to deny me the return of a bomber, evidently weather was playing a major role in our re-creation of events of June 6, 1944.

By turn 8 it was do or die for the Allies. I had to get some units into Cherbourg and I did manage to accomplish this goal. I was also still barely holding Caen. Getting to St Lo was a complete longshot, but doable if Stephen kept just one lane of advance open. Well, let's just say he didn't. This coupled with the fact that Caen (with one lone British unit) was completely surrounded by Germans at the end of the turn, put the proverbial writing on the wall and I immediately surrendered.

I had a great time playing the game even though I was on the losing end. It is a difficult game for the Allied player, but had I not got bogged down at Omaha, I might have been able to put enough pressure on Stephen to divert some of his forces from Caen and challenge for the win despite losing 40% of my air force.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.