Subject: RPG modules use rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
José Agüero
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Experienced players;

Would it be possible to adapt modules from RPG games and create new scenarios for this game? Would it be feasible or it's just to hard?

I know there are additional scenarios to be downloaded as well as expansions to be bought, but still.

Cheers;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a challenging proposition. Descent is a competitive game pitting the heroes against the overlord. Scenarios must be very carefully balanced to ensure a rewarding experience for both sides. This balance has proven elusive even in the official scenarios. I think that adapting RPG modules would be a very time consuming task and would require lengthy play testing to ensure an enjoyable balance for both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is specific "scene" in a module, it might be feasible to create a Descent scenario around that scene. The rules are open for scenario creators to make up effects that can interact with the scenario. Look at the Black Blade scenario, or the downloadable one where you are attacking up a mountainside.

But...

If you wanted a more RPG experience. I've found that D&D 4th edition is very much like Descent. It's quite simple (just a lot more stuff).

The balance issue has more to do with the skill of the players than the game itself. And the balance discussion for games like this is a very big topic, not as simple as "the designer got it wrong".

Anyway, I agree it would be time consuming. But it would be possible to create very interesting Descent scenarios, er Quests, using RPG modules as a basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Agüero
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your replies, I wasn't really looking for a more RPG feel, it's just a thought I had while looking at the Dungeon Crawl Classics modules from Goodman Games.

I'm a newbie in both Descent and D&D 4th ed, so I was just looking for opinions from more experienced players.

Cheers;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.