• [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yspahan is the only one I own and play. Love it. Quick game that's easy to pick up. Couple different routes to victory so if one isn't working so well, you can change strategy and still make a go of it.

It's a prtty light euro so if you are looking for soemthing deeper, maybe the other titles have that to offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Amyitis and Yspahan, and I prefer Amyitis. I dislike the dice-rolling aspect of Yspahan and it didn't othewise really click for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Augsburg, it's the only one that doesn't sound like a disease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Your tastes run all over the place, judging by your rankings.

So (of the two I have played):

Amyitis is a stunningly gorgeous game. It is it is on the mid-heavy side. The game's mechanics take a little getting used to, as it is not a straight linear equation of X does Y does Z; that is to say, the parts are interconnected. Also you have to pay attention to what the other players are doing so as to stop or interrupt their plans -- this is not multiplayer solitaire. It is well worth the time you put into it. The gameplay is deep and it has lots of interesting decisions. Highly recommended.

Yspahan is a light-medium game that is fun and well worth playing. Is it a great game? No. But it is a nice change-of-pace from all the superheavy games that seem to be touted on BGG. While there are dice used, the luck element within this game is minimized in the way that the dice are used, as well as by buying certain buildings and taking certain actions. You will always have a choice to make, so your options will not be limited as with some games. Some other poster called this a filler, but I feel that this game has a little bit more meat than that -- just a little. Recommended, only try before you buy (but that is good advice about anything).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff DeBoer
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Augsburg 1520 is my vote from this list...solid enough ALEA small box game with nice player interaction....a good challenge and we always enjoyed playing it.....doesn't get on the table enough with all the newer games ..the others didn't impress me that much from my first run thrus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
Amyitis
Yspahan
Hermagor
Augsburg 1520

Are any of them worth getting?

Yspahan, most definately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermagor is great; recommended.

Augsburg we've played once, with 3 players. Didn't go over that well, but I believe it will be better with 4/5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.