Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Easy Fantasy Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Conster
msg tools
I'm not exactly big into boardgaming (as of now) but me and my brother who is 10 like to play sometimes. Anyway could anyone recommend a game where you control one hero with the objective of killing the other players hero?

I've been searching for something like this but couldn,t find anything. And if possible it would be better for it to not be too complicated as my brother can't play big complicated games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Lauwbierkoffie
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
www.spellenclubapeldoorn.nl
badge
Kom spellen spelen bij de Spellenclub Apeldoorn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings - The Duel http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/4610

I think this is the one for you: Balrog vs Gandalf on the bridge of Moria

easy game, not too expensive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably your best bet. it seems to fit alot of what you are requesting...
Very inexpensive (you only need 1 player pack per player, no other cards at all; so that's about $15 or so total investment) 1v1 battle, a lot of tactical choices and decent strategy choices. Fast, fast gameplay that doesn't get too repetative.
all in all a great little game with a lot to like in such a small, cheap package.
Plus the artwork and character choices are incredible!!! cool

Anachronism

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pollard
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Star Wars: Epic Duels? Or Heroscape Marvel: The Conflict Begins?

Both have simple combat mechanics are based on direct player conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lost Worlds books may be exactly what you are looking for. They're OOP but still available in game resale and on eBay.

The game gives each player a booklet with a series of pictures of the action going on from the opponents perspective. As the game progresses, you turn to directed pages based on the strategy you use. There's only one page of charts and tables to reference and lots of books to choose from.

Star Wars I: Clash of the Lightsabers is also very good 1-on-1 battle. It's also OOP, but can still be readily found for cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlier LotR: The Duel was suggested. I haven't played that, but I played a bunch of Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation with my 10 year old nephew this past summer. We both had a blast. (Well, we played the non-deluxe version, but the deluxe version is the same but with more options).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Conster
msg tools
Thanks for the quick response everybody, after looking at them a lot were good suggestions.

Even though it isn't fantasy I think I'm going to pick up Anachronism as it looks like what I was looking for.

Anyway thanks again to everybody that responded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie

If you want to each play with one hero, you can. Or you play with a few heroes. Or a hero combined with a squad of other guys. Or whatever else you want. It comes with a bunch of different guys that you can choose from.

And it is not complicated at all. Even with just the master set, there is a lot of replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother and I used to play Melee and Wizard and do arena battles all the time. Battles are really fast--about 10 minutes.

Legends of the Ancient Worlds uses a similar system and is a free download.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Conster
msg tools
Yeah I have a pretty extensive heroscape collection, I was kind of looking for a small step up in complexity.

If it helps at all you could compare the kind of game i'm looking for to DotA the Warcraft 3 mod. I was looking for that type of thing as a board game as I think it would be immensly (sp?) more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.