Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to post this here because this rule seems to create more confusion than all the other rules combined. I saw it expressed very well in one of these threads, and in my opinion, this makes it clearer than the rules do.

Simply Put:

In curves, the only rule about lane changes is that you must follow the arrows.

In straightaways, you may move to any lane on the track but the path between your starting space and ending space must be as short as possible.

The exception is that when going around other cars and debris, you may deviate from this course, but must still do so in the shortest possible way.

To my mind this makes it incredibly simple. If you are on the inside and want to be on the outside, you can go there, as long as you go the shortest way. You may move to any space on the board from your space, as long as you don't make extra lane changes to get there.

This is how I explain it and have never had any confusion arise. Find the spot you are on. Find the spot you want to be. Go the shortest way between them, except when avoiding obstacles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Qualey
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well put. Since changing lanes can have the effect of slowing you down, you cannot return to the lane you came from, unless forced to do so (dodging other vehicles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I've stated it is much more active. In the straights, each space you enter is considered to have been reached by the shortest unblocked path from your starting space (either your start (if starting in the straight) or the first space in the straight after leaving a curve) and if you have movement pips left you must take them or brake. Note this definition covers entering and leaving curves in an easy way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
The way I've stated it is much more active. In the straights, each space you enter is considered to have been reached by the shortest unblocked path from your starting space (either your start (if starting in the straight) or the first space in the straight after leaving a curve) and if you have movement pips left you must take them or brake. Note this definition covers entering and leaving curves in an easy way.

Saying that "each space you enter" and "the space you finish your move on" has to be the shortest path means the exact same thing. There is no need to check every space you move into. If you get to the end and didn't go in a straight line (point A to point B, if you will), you did something wrong (other than avoiding obstacles).

However, also including the "or the first space in a straight after leaving a curve" is an important consideration. My definition does not exclude this, it just treats each part seperately. In other words, in the straight up to the first space of the curve, you went the shortest path. In the curve, do what the arrows allow. Once out again, the first space makes you in a straight and you again have to follow the straight rules. Perhaps that wasn't quite clear from what I said.

Again let me stress, we are saying the same thing, phrased in a different way. If the definition Mark's post helps you more than mine does, feel free to explain it that way. The goal of this thread is to bring clarity to a confusing issue, so I am certainly open to other ways of phrasing it. I think mine is somewhat clearer than Mark's, though Mark's is still clearer than the rulebook in my opinion. Thanks for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Watters
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
Ahhhh. This is the way we have been playing it, but it is not the way I think the rules are actually written...

... in English, anyway!

The Formula Mini De rules have another problem with translation: the English rules explicitly say early on that you can't go from 5th to 1st, but the wear point rules say you can. Looking at the original French, seems somehow an 'ou' (= 'or') got translated as 'but not from'. My French is appallingly bad (I was so bad in the exam that it didn't even get on the certificate as a fail) but it's not that bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okey

Sooo, if I change from right lane to middle and then to left lane, end my move still on the straight. can I then on my next move change back to the rightmost lane again?

I havent seen anything if this shortest lane thingy is applied from turn to turn or for that specific straight (meaning I can only change lane once even if I roll the die multiple times before entering the corner)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Beckman
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can. The no zig-zag applies to a single turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.