Popular Tags: [View All]
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I went over to my friend’s house. They said, "Bring a game and we'll play before we eat!" I was excited as they have never asked me to bring a game. I spent most of the day wondering about which game to choose...
Finally I decided and headed over. They are living in a smaller rental while their new home is being built. It is nice, but slightly cramped with two adults, 3 children and 2 full grown Great Danes. When I walked through the door I could smell a chicken in the oven. It was wonderful.
I immediately sat down and started setting up the game. The kids quickly sat down beside me and Calvin joined us for a five player game. Reba wanted to, but decided instead to make sure the meal would be ready as we finished.
I need to mention now that their children are 11, 9 and 3.
I started explaining the game and it was if the 3 year old, Niles, wasn't even paying attention. I had to repeat myself a couple of times and even say his name to get him to look at me while I was trying to get the game started. Gale, the 9 year old, rolled her eyes a couple of times and I had to ask her to pay attention as I wouldn't explain the rules again!
Albert, 11, would ask questions, but usually I had already covered the explanation earlier. "What does this do again?" He would ask. "Al", I would say, barely able to contain my disappointment, "I've already told you that role allows you to ship your goods." or "If you chose that card you get a $1 from the bank." It almost seemed like he didn’t understand on purpose just to get under my skin and affect my play of the game before it even started! (a clever trick I have used a couple of times to rattle my opponents.)
Once we started the game I figured it would start to flow and they would enjoy themselves. I couldn't have been more wrong! When it was Nile's turn he would be stacking the pieces instead of planning his next move and he acted like he didn't know what he was doing even though I explained the game. When I would tell him to choose a role, he would look at me as if he didn't really understand (I would have to basically choose his role for him.) When I was Gale or Al's turn, they would just look at me. It was totally frustrating and completely obvious they didn't pay attention while I was explaining the game.
Finally we just had to put the game away and watch TV until dinner was ready. The kids asked me to go outside and play, but I acted like I didn't understand, that I couldn't figure out the directions they were trying to give me.
So I've learned an important lesson: never take the game Puerto Rico over to their house because their kids are STUPID!
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
THAT'S the lesson you learned? snore

I've always wondered why they put minimum age info on game boxes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
And weak too. I can officially take on 63 kindergartners! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zboat wrote:
Last night I went over to my friend’s house. They said, "Bring a game and we'll play before we eat!" I was excited as they have never asked me to bring a game. I spent most of the day wondering about which game to choose...
Finally I decided and headed over. They are living in a smaller rental while their new home is being built. It is nice, but slightly cramped with two adults, 3 children and 2 full grown Great Danes. When I walked through the door I could smell a chicken in the oven. It was wonderful.
I immediately sat down and started setting up the game. The kids quickly sat down beside me and Calvin joined us for a five player game. Reba wanted to, but decided instead to make sure the meal would be ready as we finished.
I need to mention now that their children are 11, 9 and 3.
I started explaining the game and it was if the 3 year old, Niles, wasn't even paying attention. I had to repeat myself a couple of times and even say his name to get him to look at me while I was trying to get the game started. Gale, the 9 year old, rolled her eyes a couple of times and I had to ask her to pay attention as I wouldn't explain the rules again!
Albert, 11, would ask questions, but usually I had already covered the explanation earlier. "What does this do again?" He would ask. "Al", I would say, barely able to contain my disappointment, "I've already told you that role allows you to ship your goods." or "If you chose that card you get a $1 from the bank." It almost seemed like he didn’t understand on purpose just to get under my skin and affect my play of the game before it even started! (a clever trick I have used a couple of times to rattle my opponents.)
Once we started the game I figured it would start to flow and they would enjoy themselves. I couldn't have been more wrong! When it was Nile's turn he would be stacking the pieces instead of planning his next move and he acted like he didn't know what he was doing even though I explained the game. When I would tell him to choose a role, he would look at me as if he didn't really understand (I would have to basically choose his role for him.) When I was Gale or Al's turn, they would just look at me. It was totally frustrating and completely obvious they didn't pay attention while I was explaining the game.
Finally we just had to put the game away and watch TV until dinner was ready. The kids asked me to go outside and play, but I acted like I didn't understand, that I couldn't figure out the directions they were trying to give me.
So I've learned an important lesson: never take the game Puerto Rico over to their house because their kids are STUPID!

I'm hoping that this is a less than startlingly funny piece of satire, because the alternative is uncomfortable to contemplate....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"I will take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. Seek knowledge from those wiser, and teach those who wish to learn." -Duane Allman
mbmbmbmbmb
It's obviously because you brought a Eurogame. They're designed for European families. You should have stuck with good ol' Ameritrash. I'm sure, if you'd have explained how you roll these 57 dice, then reroll 38 of them depending on modifiers, they would have easily been able to understand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
statman8 wrote:
I really am having a tough time wrapping my head around what you expected. If the game was not age appropriate, I would have anticipated this. Role selection and pick-up-and-deliver mechanics in a game for a three year old is too much. When it came time for the older kids to play were they just staring at you because you seemed to want to direct them each turn? Maybe they were waiting for your next move.

Sounds to me like they were acting like typical kids.

Oops. Someone didn't get the joke. He was channeling his inner "Bob Herzog" from KODT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hanley
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
statman8 wrote:
I really am having a tough time wrapping my head around what you expected. If the game was not age appropriate, I would have anticipated this. Role selection and pick-up-and-deliver mechanics in a game for a three year old is too much. When it came time for the older kids to play were they just staring at you because you seemed to want to direct them each turn? Maybe they were waiting for your next move.

The OP was kidding around.

Pardon the pun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two points:

1) Obviously satire because Zack doesn't have any friends.

2) Zack thinks everyone is STUPID.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MWChapel wrote:
And weak too. I can officially take on 63 kindergartners! ninja

I'd pay to see that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quardlepleen wrote:
statman8 wrote:

Pardon the pun.

OK, you got me as charged. I didn't get it. I'll slink back to the corner now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
quardlepleen wrote:
statman8 wrote:

Pardon the pun.

Sorry that I, and most of the world, didn't get the inside joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the fact that one of the potential players was a THREE-year-old should have tipped people off

The problem here is they were bored - not enough to keep their minds busy. You need to start out with more complex games like ASL or Campaign for North Africa, and work your way down to the less complex games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MusicToEat wrote:
It's obviously because you brought a Eurogame. They're designed for European families. You should have stuck with good ol' Ameritrash. I'm sure, if you'd have explained how you roll these 57 dice, then reroll 38 of them depending on modifiers, they would have easily been able to understand it.

sigmazero13 wrote:
The problem here is they were bored - not enough to keep their minds busy. You need to start out with more complex games like ASL or Campaign for North Africa, and work your way down to the less complex games.

Or, they could just be stupid.

Stupid kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't this have been a session report?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I hate kids! Thats why I have 6.

Funny story:

I went into Subway one day and was ordering for the family with my wife at my side. I asked the kid behind the counter if they had any special smaller sandwiches for kids. He says, "no - but you could get a regular sandwich and cut it up". He then proceeds to ask, "How many kids are you talking about?" I say, "6". He says, "Wow you must like kids". I say, "NO! I like the part about making them."

I left the kid speechless, and received a bruised rib from my wife's elbow. Now we have 7 -- no just kidding.devil
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I know an adult gamer like this - he has the attention span of a midge fly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Embark
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not the best piece of Satire I have ever seen but it's still pretty obvious that the OP isn't serious.

Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:

Funny story:

I went into Subway one day and was ordering for the family with my wife at my side. I asked the kid behind the counter if they had any special smaller sandwiches for kids. He says, "no - but you could get a regular sandwich and cut it up". He then proceeds to ask, "How many kids are you talking about?" I say, "6". He says, "Wow you must like kids". I say, "NO! I like the part about making them."

I left the kid speechless, and received a bruised rib from my wife's elbow. Now we have 7 -- no just kidding.devil

What, you took the kid behind the counter as well? zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Aljovin wrote:
jjloc wrote:

Funny story:

What, you took the kid behind the counter as well? zombie

Absolutely, I thought he could add to the gaming group - as my wife doesn't like games and my kids range from 2 to 12 (2,3,2x5,7,12).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Embark wrote:
It's not the best piece of Satire I have ever seen but it's still pretty obvious that the OP isn't serious.

Knowing some people I do know, I don't put it past the realm of reality.

I have season seats for The Theater of the Absurd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I think the fact that one of the potential players was a THREE-year-old should have tipped people off

I must disagree with you!!! THe kids are full of energy also. I think a trip to the shooting range would have been the ticket to start with.. a little fresh air... a little running around... firing semi automatic weapons... after an hour or so then they will be ready to sit and play.

Then the ASL or CfNA. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:

Funny story:

Been there, done that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

It's only funny if at some point it's obvious to everyone that it is intended as humor. Sorry, maybe it's just me, but I really wouldn't put it past someone to try this. And while I did assume that it was fictional there was that doubt in the back of my mind. Given the number of true stories that show up here about how grown Geeks behave (or misbehave) I'd have to say I've read worse stories that were true in these forums!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dance Spears
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Are you serious? I can't believe you would do this to your friends! I don't see anywhere in your post that you let them know about the dangers of being first cousins and producing off-spring. This is the only explanation. Geez. It allows you to ship your goods! What's so hard about that?

I blame the schools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
alkaiser wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

It's only funny if at some point it's obvious to everyone that it is intended as humor. Sorry, maybe it's just me, but I really wouldn't put it past someone to try this. And while I did assume that it was fictional there was that doubt in the back of my mind. Given the number of true stories that show up here about how grown Geeks behave (or misbehave) I'd have to say I've read worse stories that were true in these forums!

I agree - unless this was a parody of a specific (recent) post, I fail to see the humor, even as parody. I mean, what exactly is being skewered here - the notion that kids will be uninterested in age-inappropriate euros? Not the most ripe topic for satire... Methinks it was just an excuse to have "Kids are stupid" as a subject line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.