Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Can you play the hide card in castle drac?

2. Do you get health back when you hide there?

3. Do you flip the hide card to show you are at castle drac if you want the health back?

4. Do you flip the hide card over regardless of if you can heal or not if you hide at castle drac?

5. Did any official word come down about using double back to stay in place, we always played that you can do this but after reading a threa on here I'm wondering if we should change things?

6. Can you use wolf form to go to sea (so one space from a village to a port then another space from land to sea)?

Thanks. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, I'm not a certified official, but have played a couple of (dozen) games with experienced players, and we always try to strictly play by the rules - so take it or leave it:

1. Yes, I don't see why not. There's no rule/explicitly mentioned exception under "Hide" (or "Castle Dracula") that would disallow the use of "Hide" (or even a similar power, like "Feed", as a matter of fact).

2. Yes. Since you end your movement phase in Castle Dracula, you gain 2 Blood. Of course this sort of kills your surprise with the intended "Hide"-effects of "journeying to the unknown"... :shake: , but there might be situations in which the hunters are comfortably far away and you desperately want to load up your blood supply, so yes - playing "Hide" at Castle Dracula is not always a stupid move...

3. No, you don't need to. The hunters already know you're still in "da house", because you gained 2 Blood (see 2).

4. No (see 3).

5. Mhmmm. I can't remember, sorry. There's been a thread in the old FFG-forums, but I don't recall if that was finally resolved with an "official word". In my opinion, this one's still a bit philosophical... Normally, and as stated above: strictly going by the rules, I would say: yes - staying in your current location when using "Double Back" should be one of your legal options. After all, your current location IS also considered part of your trail, and that's the only condition mentioned in the rules. But as far as I recall the discussion in the thread, the general consent was that you actually had to MOVE in your movement phase when using "Double Back". So I guess, unless someone digs up that official word, we're as smart as we were before. Therefore, I usually let my game group decide democratically which way we should play it BEFORE we start a game!

6. No. Wolf form only allows travel by road. You may move "up to 2 cities away (from your current location) by Road".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3,4. I'll offer a different response to this. It's just my opinion, but I think you should play Hide face up. The reason, as has been said, if you heal it will be obvious that you are still there. If you don't heal, the fact that you don't place an encounter (you can't at Castle Dracula) will make it obvious, so you might as well just play it face up.

5. I believe you can't stay in place with a double back because of the following in the FAQ, albeit that that covers a different situation

Quote:
Dracula must always make a legal move unless a
card/power specifically says otherwise. So he must make a
legal move when using Double Back
– he cannot use the
power to “teleport” to any location in his Trail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

5. Yup. Dave is right. I discovered that passage in the FAQ, too (about a minute after I'd submitted my original post cry ). I think that was the main argument in the old thread as well: you HAVE TO make a legal move when using "Double Back", and just staying put in your location cannot be considered as a "legal" action in your movement phase.

Quote:
if you heal it will be obvious that you are still there. If you don't heal, ...

Umm... I don't think that gaining the 2 blood is OPTIONAL for Dracula. It's an effect that just takes place at the end of D's movement phase in Castle Dracula. So in any case: it WILL BE OBVIOUS to the hunters that you stayed in the Castle (even if you argue like Dave, the second clue being the fact that you didn't place an encounter on the "location card"). What I originally wanted to say with my "No" to questions 3 and 4 was simply that it doesn't matter. No rule requires you to play it face up though, so I vow for leaving it face down, even if it's got to be completely clear to everyone at the table where Dracula must be (But who knows? Maybe there's one or two Van Alzheimers in your group who can't remember what you played after 2 or 3 more game rounds... And then you're slightly better off with a hidden "Hide" )

Never give away any chances as Dracula, however nimble they may be!devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you're right and I guess it's just a case of making whatever ruling you're comfortable with.

There is just one thing though, although healing is not optional it is subject to the maximum 15 blood, so if Drac is already at that total no healing will take place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Nagy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The hunters know when Dracula enters or is in Castle Dracula, it's location card is always face up. So if you hide there you play the Hide card face up, too.

Also, that the hunters deduced what a face down location card in the trail is doesn't make the card turn face up. This is important as 'newspaper report' makes always the oldest face down location revealed (turned face up), even if the hunters already know what is that location. So locations are turned face up only by game effects (cards, resolve point spending, etc.) and not by the guesswork of the hunters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great answers thanks everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.