United States
va. beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
RULES Q & A

1. I find the retreat rules (8.5.1) have some vagueness to them. I feel they'd make more sense if they were written as a set of numbered priorities, instead of in a paragraph form. My impression, from the number of times its mentioned, is retreating away from the unit that attacked you is of paramount importance. Though that's not the first thing mentioned. The bit about "towards their side of the board" doesn't always work, as some scenarios have your units in several different places on the board. Examples: the British in Brandywine, and both sides in Kings Mountain. As to the exact order of the priorities I can only guess. The designer would have to put them in the order he preferred. But I'll take a stab at it.

Retreat priorities are listed as most important (comply with first) to least.
1. Retreat away from the attacking unit.
2. Retreat towards the defender's side of the board, if applicable.
3. Retreat towards the closest group of friendly units.
4. Retreat adjacent to a different enemy unit.
5. Retreat adjacent to the attacking unit.

If none of the above is possible due to the retreat path being blocked by impassible terrain, board edge, or enemy units, then the defender is eliminated.

THE ABOVE IS THE CORRECT INTERPRETATION.

2. Suppose a friendly unit attacked in a Close Combat is surrounded by the board edge and enemy units except through one hexside. The open hex side opens to an empty hex that is away from their friendly board edge and group of friendly units, but is otherwise the only path open for retreat. May the friendly unit take a retreat through the open hexside to the empty hex on the game map? Or is it eliminated?

THE UNIT RETREATS TO THE EMPTY HEX ON THE GAME MAP

3. Optional rule 11.2 states "Only units that have not been fired on in the current turn may be rallied" Does this mean that whatever side is first will always be able to rally any eligible unit since the units have not yet received any enemy fire that turn?
Seems like the rule should read "Only units that have not been fired on in the last enemy phase.
What about Close Combat? Is that treated in the same fashion as Fire combat for rally??

IT SHOULD BE INTERPRETED AS SINCE THE PREVIOUS ENEMY TURN. YES, CLOSE COMBAT DOES DENY YOU THE ABILITY TO RALLY.

4. An infantry unit engages in close combat and forces the target unit to retreat (or eliminates it). The attacker then advances into the vacated hex (rule 8.4.4). Can a unit (leader or artillery) stacked with the attacker advance too?

YES

5. Do terrain modifiers affect to morale checks for assaulting troops when using the optional rule?

THE TERRAIN DOES EFFECT THE MORALE CHECK FOR THE UNITS DEFENDING AGAINST THE CLOSE COMBAT. NEVER THE ATTACKER.

6. Can a leader move to an hex where an infantry unit is located, then add its dice to a close combat?

NO

7. Does the -1 penalty for attacking a unit on a hill apply if its done from an adjacent hill? That is, is there a plateau effect that nullifies this penalty?
NO

And if so, would that also nullify the +1 close combat morale bonus?
NO

Related, can you sight down a row of adjacent hills, from two hexes away?

NO

Or does the hill in the adjacent hex automatically block line of sight to any hills beyond?

SEE ABOVE

8. Say a British elite infantry unit, down to its last Morale Point, is stacked with an artillery unit, also down to its last Morale Point. An adjacent American infantry unit fires at these units and rolls a 5 and a 6. Two hits must be accounted for. On the first hit the British player elects to have that volley hit the elite infantry. He rolls a die and its a 3, the elite infantry is NOT eliminated. Now, what about that second hit that still needs to be allocated? Can the British player once again say its striking the elite infantry (with the 50% possibility it still might not die), or must the second hit be allocated to the artillery, killing it?

In the above situation the hits are applied one at a time ---

you could:

1. Take 1 hit on the artillery (eliminated)
2. Roll for the other 2 hits on the elite

or

Roll the hits one at a time on the elite, if he survives the artillery would survive. If the elite took a hit on roll one or two the artillery would take the leftover hit(s). If the elite took the hit on the third roll the elite would die and the artillery would survive.

The idea behind the rule is that the infantry/cavalry in the hex is covering the artillery.

9. Do the half hexes that are out of play on the map board count as open terrain or do they block line of sight?

NO TO BOTH, THEY ARE NOT PLAYABLE

10. The light infantry counters have a 0 MP side, does this have any significance?

NO

11. When rule 11.3 (Elite bonus dice) says not to use it with rule 11.6 (advanced leaders rule), does this mean not to use both dice bonuses at the same time in close combat, or to not use the elite bonus combat dice rule in the same game at all when using the leader rules in 11.6?

DO NOT USE BOTH IN THE SAME CLOSE COMBAT.

12. The box says it contains 114 counters, but I only got 110 (and one blank one). Which is correct?

13. In the combat example on page 6, it says the dragoons move and fire, then the artillery fires at the same unit. However, it appears the line of sight would be blocked for the artillery after the dragoons have moved into the hex beside the hill. Is the example mistaken?

YES, THE ARTILLERY WOULD HAVE TO FIRE BEFORE THE DRAGOON MOVED FOR A CLEAR LOS.

14. The map shows four VP counters, while the Indian forces list just three, which is correct?

THE MAP

15. What is the capacity of a boat; is it different than the stacking limits for hexes in general?

NO, SAME AS STANDARD HEXES.

SCENARIO Q & A

1. LONG ISLAND SCENARIO:
1. If the Americans evacuate a leader, does this reduce their "given" action points (similar to a leader being killed in combat)?

2. Exactly when are the American reinforcements deployed in the turn sequence? And does this constitute movement on their part?

Example: The Americans pay two AP and plop a reinforcement in the blue shaded area. Can that unit now attack? Or does the "beaming in" (well, it didn't exactly move normally on to the board via a board edge) equal movement, therefore the new unit can't fire?

3. When in the turn sequence does the die roll for possible evacuation occur? And does the American have to designate which units might evacuate before the roll occurs?

4. Can a reinforcement unit be brought in for 2 APs, then immediately evacuated in the same turn?

1. IT DOES NOT REDUCE THE AMERICAN AP.

2. DEPLOYMENT EQUALS MOVEMENT. THIS COULD HAPPEN IN ANY ORDER, ONE UNIT AT A TIME, JUST LIKE NORMAL ACTIVATION.

3. AT SOME POINT IN YOUR TURN YOU STATE WHICH UNITS WILL BE ATTEMPTING TO EVACUATE, EXPEND 3 AP, THEN ROLL FOR SUCCESS.

4. NO

2. TRENTON SCENARIO:
In the Optional rules an American artillery or infantry can be removed via a certain die roll. Who decides which American unit will be removed, the British or the American player?

AMERICAN

The phrase in the British victory conditions of "or avoid American victory" leads me to believe there must be some intended time/turn limit. I imagine the American conditions probably should be: 6 victory points in xx turns or less.

22 TURNS

3. BEMIS HEIGHTS SCENARIO:
In the special rules it says, "On any rolls of 1, Arnold must check to see if he is wounded."
Does that mean:

1. Follow the standard rules when a British unit attacks Arnold (and/or a units he's stacked with) in fire combat or close combat.

Or 2. The above, plus the third paragraph of advanced/optional rule 11.6, where Arnold (only) could also be hit if he rolls any 1's while attacking.
Define wounded.

Does that mean:
1. Follow the standard rules if Arnold is hit. Therefore he may be eliminated if he takes one hit.

Or 2. Follow the last paragraph of advanced/optional rule 11.6 for Arnold only. Therefore it would take two hits to kill Arnold (assuming you used a 1/2 or 2/2 leader).

I've been playing these scenarios by the standard rules. I get the impression this scenario's rules were written assuming everyone uses the advanced rules. If so, it would have been a lot clearer if the scenario has said, "If you're playing with the standard rules, use the last three paragraphs of advanced rule 11.6 for Arnold only in this scenario."

THE COMPLETE SPECIAL RULES STATE THE “ANY AMERICAN INFANTRY ATTACKING WITH ARNOLD IN THEIR HEX ROLLS 2 EXTRA DICE DURING COMBAT. ON ANY ROLLS OF 1, ANROLD MUST CHECK TO SEE IF HE IS WOUNDED. “ THIS MEANS EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS, THAT IF ARNOLD IS ATTACKING WITH INFANTRY AND A 1 IS ROLLED DURING THE ATTACK, HE MAKES A ROLL TO SEE IF HE IS A CASUALTY. (YOU ARE CORRECT THAT THE WORDING WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER TO SAY HE WAS HIT AND IS A CASUALTY).

4. EUTAW SPRINGS SCENARIO: The British forces list one artillery unit which is not shown on the map, where does it belong?

IN THE FENCE HEX WITH THE 3 MP BRITISH INFANTRY BEHIND THE MAIN BRITISH LINE.

5. BLOODY BRIDGE SCENARIO: There are 2 artillery listed but only one shown on the map, should the other artillery be in the other boat?

YES

6. ST. FOY SCENARIO: The French list Dumas as a 1/2 leader, but the other leader counter is 1/1 on both sides. Is the listing a typo?

YES, USE THE 1/1 UNIT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ward
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
This FAQ really helps. Yet there still are some unanswered questions from the F&I War expansion concerning...

- Leaders, woods, and movement assistance, including which type of leader can lead which type of troops.

- Bloody Bridge scenario: discrepancy between the map and the set up instructions on the number of Indian villages, river tiles, and the color of the VP markers.

Also, the question numbered 14 above doesn't say which scenario it concerns. Its the Bloody Bridge scenario from the F&I War expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I’d repost these QA here:
1. Can Rangers CC from 2 hexes?
2. Do they shoot like infantry, hitting on 5-6 adjacent; 6 at 2 hexes?
3. What is the Ranger +1 in woods?

4. Can Indians fire at a range of two?

ANSWERS FROM GITTES: (#4 most surprising to me)

1. No
2. Yes, but for 2 AP they can move and fire, making them more flexible.
3. No, they simply do not stop when entering woods.

4. No, they only fire at adjacent units.

COULD YOU VERIFY?
5. Also can inf load with the artillery on the 2 boats
in Bloody Bridge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
When I read the rules it sounded like Indians could fire at range 2 like other infantry, however they could not combine fire at that range with movement. They can move then fire, or fire then move, but only with firing at adjacent units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capt yid wrote:
Thought I’d repost these QA here:
1. Can Rangers CC from 2 hexes?
2. Do they shoot like infantry, hitting on 5-6 adjacent; 6 at 2 hexes?
3. What is the Ranger +1 in woods?

4. Can Indians fire at a range of two?

ANSWERS FROM GITTES: (#4 most surprising to me)

1. No
2. Yes, but for 2 AP they can move and fire, making them more flexible.
3. No, they simply do not stop when entering woods.

4. No, they only fire at adjacent units.

COULD YOU VERIFY?
5. Also can inf load with the artillery on the 2 boats
in Bloody Bridge?

Well I actually understood the indian bit correctly, but the wording is very confusing.
'adjecent enemy 1 hex away' to me sounds like two hexes and I was under the impression too that there was a 2 hex range for CC.
sounds without logic, but I could imagine indians making a wild highland type charge, covering terrain very fast and than CC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.