Popular Tags: [View All]
Elijah Lau
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normandy '44 added to P500.

I've pre-ordered. Now we just need another 700 more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to hear more about this game. MMP's Decision in Normandy was of similar scope and scale and did not do well on its pre-order list. Being a huge fan of Normandy, I'd like to see how this game plays from the German point of view. DiN had a hard time making the German side fun, not enough firepower to stop the onslaught and not enough units to counterattack and still hold a defensive line. Even if you could hold the line, you were nothing more then a sponge for a dicefest of attacks from the whole allied line. The allies strategy was too simple, attack the whole line and exploit where you rolled well.

I admit I do not own the other 2 GMT games of this game style, but always willing to change that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Lau
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My view is that it is difficult to design a good IGOUGO, hex-and-counter, CRT wargame because such games eliminate a lot of tension. Mainly this is due to the fact that players move all their pieces at one go, and planning battles is a matter of figuring out the optimal probabilities of the CRT.

While I don't know much about Normandy '44, I feel that the game system off Ardennes' 44 overcomes these issues in an IGOUGO, CRT game.

1) The CRT is interesting, allowing input from both attacker and defender. If the attacker rolls a firefight result, he can elect to press the fight (and accept the possibility of taking casualties). The defender can opt to conduct a Determined Defence in certain areas (also with the cost of higher casualties.

2) ZOC bonds - took me a while to wrap my head around this concept but once I did, it was brilliant. It allows ZOCs to be made non-sticky but avoiding gamey stuff that happens in games when ZOCs become non-sticky.

3) The Ardennes '44 map is very detailed and really gives you the feel of the challenges faced by the respective commanders without bogging players down with fiddly rules.

Joel Toppen on CSW says N'44 is a simpler game than A'44 without sacrificing historical flavour, so I'm definitely looking forward to N'44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Savage
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How big are the counters going to be? If they're 5/8"s or more, I'll P500 it. I see it's only a one map game, how about GMT testing out their mounted map question and offering it that way? I'd definitely P500
it then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.