My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and I play C&C:Ancients at lunch every week or so. This week we tried the battle of Utica from the Truceless War set of scenarios. As we set up outside in the companies' garden, I eyed the three elephants in his front line with visions of hephalump carcasses littering the battlefield and three easy banners for me. Then I noticed that my front line was only two hexes away from said elephants. "Uh-oh."

Sure enough, his first card was Mounted Charge. Two elephants and a medium cavalry with a leader charged my center group, which included my all my heavy and medium troops. A third elephant charged the light and auxlia infantry on my left. That elephant fought first, doing little damage and receiving none in return. Then the rightmost elephant caused my heavy troops to retreat to the baseline and take a hit. It advanced and did some damage to my medium troops with my leader in it, taking a hit while doing it. His center elephant then eliminated my medium troops and flattened my leader as well. Two flags. He advanced and wiped out my other medium troops. Three flags. It only takes five to win. The cavalry inflicted one block of damage to my light slingers and took nothing in return.

I issued a line command to my group on the left flank. The auxlia and light slingers killed two elephants with a combination of ground attacks and ranged combat. I also did a block of damage to his cavalry which had not charged. Not a bad turn, but not enough to counter the disastrous first turn.

Dave used an order two units center to move his remaining elephant and his medium cavalry to attack my heavy troops. Three hits and a retreat from the elephant and his cavalry was left twiddling their thumbs. Four flags.

I again issued a line command to my left flank, eyeing a command four units on the left card for next turn. My guys threw some rocks and sticks at his army, doing another block of damage to his cavalry.

On his turn, he ordered three units in the center, retreating his damaged cavalry and attacking my light slingers with the elephants and the cavalry. A few rolls later it was all over. Five flags for him, two for me. He only took three turns, I took two. Which was good because we were starting to be showered with sawdust from construction nearby. We headed inside and called it a day.

I'm not sure what I could have done differently. I probably should have attacked his remaining elephant on my second turn, but I didn't have much left to do it with. It was pretty much over at that point anyway. It just shows that big and stompy sometimes has it's uses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the enemy's cards are good and the dice are better, that's a tough combination to beat. You can either counterattack as best you can and hope to put an end to the "killing machine." Or you can try to play conservatively and hope that you can live a turn or two to deliver a real counter punch.

I've seen players down three banners in a five banner game simply go for broke with a Cav or infantry group with a leader and hope that the dice and bonus combat turn the tide. Sometimes it does.

...But when I try it, it never seems to.

Good report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
I've seen players down three banners in a five banner game simply go for broke with a Cav or infantry group with a leader and hope that the dice and bonus combat turn the tide. Sometimes it does.

My remaining leader was with a light cavalry on my right flank. I'm not sure if I could have reached his elephant or not. I probably should have tried though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.