Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: A BGG Bail Out Plan -- Explain Your Bad Buying Decision & Get 15 GeekGold! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

We need a bail out plan here at BGG.

We've all made bad buying decisions... that microbadge looked so new and shiny, plus it was a zero-risk investment backed by the full faith and trust of the BGG community.

We know what happens next. After a couple of quarterly reporting periods that microbadge seems to change from a blue chip pick to a junk bond. What were you thinking?

Here is your chance to unload that toxic microbadge and buy a new one!

Tell us why you deserve this microbadge bail out. The best excuse for your poor choice story will win 15 GeekGold. The winner will be determined by total thumb count. The contest will end at 9:00 PM (Eastern Time Zone, USA) on Friday, October 3rd.

This is a serious offer; a quick check of my GeekGold history will show that I spend GG like a drunken Congressman on a taxpayer funded fact-finding mission to Las Vegas.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really regret buying my "Copper Reviewer" microbadge. I mean, I don't even remember buying it. I must have been really drunk when I got it, because there's no way I'm a copper. Please help me unload this copper badge ASAP, before my brothers from the hood disown me because they think I'm a copper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
It's Prime Day! Tons of alright games at ok prices! /sarcasm
mbmbmb
That original Carcassonne microbadge looked so cool after playing Carc with a number of expansions for months on end continually (not exactly, but fairly close) and creating even more expansions by myself. Then they came out with all the new and cooler looking microbadges for Carcassonne and I found other games that were just as cool, if not better (that and after the "big game" with all (at the time) official expansions and my unofficial expansions the tiles still haven't made it back to their original sets from the "big box of tiles that need to be separated." So with my 15 GG back I will be able to move the economy of BGG forward to greater heights and reclaim the "golden age" of BGG that we have fallen from!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
...Many moons ago there was this new shiny Gaming Knight that rode a golden horse over the horizon. The Knight was called BattleLore and his shiny steed was called Days of Wonder.

This new hero to the gaming world promised us the world. At first glance it looked like Memoir with a Fantasy setting and in no time at all I was throwing my knickers at him from the Jousting Bleachers.

But it promised to be more than that. The rules were deeper, there was the possibility to support units and battle back. I was nigh almost wetting my squire pants with anticipation.

Trouble was I had already pledged my allegiance to another Knight...Heroscape. But so strong was the allure of Sir BattleLore that I risked the ire of the evil Kingdom of Hasborg and returned my Heroscape, thereby pledging my eternal allegiance to Sir BattleLore.

I immediately had the crest of Sir BattleLore emblazoned on my BGG armour by buying this nifty looking Microbadge!

That's me on the left!

Image Courtesy of 'swuyau'

So blind was my loyalty, that I decided that BattleLore would become my flagship miniatures game and thus it should be painted. I reluctantly handed it over to a good friend and she took 12 months to paint it completely (a pregnancy got in the way). This was a long time to see Sir BattleLore away on campaigns.

But upon his return all did not seem well. His Kingdom had begun to show signs of cracking, new adventures and quests were not forthcoming. He had promised me new heroes and monsters and they were nowhere to be seen.

Several years on and Sir BattleLore has traded in his shiny steed, preferring instead to mount another called Fantasy Flight! I can only hope that this steed helps Sir BattleLore find some of the lustre of his earlier days.

So to take this tale full circle, I have for the time being shifted my allegiance back to the evil Hasborg and Heroscape, having purchased all 3 base sets and 3 terrain packs. I really need a new shiny microbadge to declare where my current support truly lies.

...Excerpt taken from, 'Tales of a Gaming Squire'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ellen notanevilrobot
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I especially regret buying all four of my emperor's new microbadges
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I regret buying my "eurogamer" badge that was brownish putrid:

This was early in the MB process, and as I play "yellow", they didn't have yellow available. So I bought the closest one available.

Then later I created a "Yellow" version, and bought that also. Yet now I am stuck with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first real boardgame I bought was Caylus, which I purchased exclusively because it was ranked #1 on BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not any PARTICULAR microbadge I regret. It's just that I thought I'd NEVER save up enough for an Avatar. So I gave up, and bought a microbadge. Then someone gifted me GG -- but still, not enough. And again, I gave in to the urge to shop, and bought ... a microbadge. Gosh, I don't even know which one!

And now, here I am, SO close to a real Avatar, which I would have already, had I not been such a spendthrift. O woe is me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Linda: Three GG has been added to your pile. Buy that avatar. Unlike Congress, we can get things done here at BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bluerock
United States
Mufreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Considering the time I've spent playing any of my games with my wife...
all of them were bad decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Ham Lake
MN
flag msg tools
mb
I deserve this microbadge GG because I have not started any begging topics though I have begged for GG before this.

I will also not use the GG as intended but rather to buy a avatar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Ham Lake
MN
flag msg tools
mb
Can someone who regularly enters shill ratings point me to a good faq on how to open multiple acconts used to shill so I can thumb myself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:

Linda: Three GG has been added to your pile. Buy that avatar. Unlike Congress, we can get things done here at BGG.

You UTTERLY rock!

(Heads off to shop)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I regret buying the Pittsburgh Pirate fan microbadge. I mean, seriously, what WAS I thinking! Here is a team that has now had a major sports record tying 16 losing season in a row! wow shake When I bought the microbadge, I had such high hopes! The Pirates were only 5 games under .500, they had the most productive outfield (Nady, McLouth, Bay) in the entire National League and they were 4th in runs scored per game! Oh, yes, I knew the pitching was spotty at best, but I wanted to believe that this would be the year, this would be the first time since I was a freshmen in college that the Bucos would actually break .500. So I bought, I hoped, I prayed....I got screwed! angry

Once again, Pirate management traded away great players for "future prospects." Just how far in the %^$&*(**&#@# future do we Pirate fans have to wait? I want to have kids and possible grandkids in thr future and if I do, I sure as hell will need to do a better job on long term planning than the Pirates do. If I plan my life the way the Pirates execute trades, I'll be trading that fancy, 3 bedroom home I hope to have some day for pup tent and an outhouse!!!!!! gulp yuk

So I implore you, please give me some restitution for the damages inflicted upon me, give me some release from the mental scars of being a long suffering Pirate fan and have MERCY and give me the GG bailout! Please help to cure me of my naive optimism!

I ask you, haven't I suffered enough????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expected some sort of mortgage crash. I mean honestly, all the sub-prime lending, and people losing an ARM and a leg, not being able to keep up with the adjusted rates... it seems almost inevitable, in retrospect. So I made sure not to take out an ARM, and that went okay.

However, I'm sure you are aware of the old saying, "As goes the mortgage industry, so goes the microbadge industry." After considering this classical wisdom, I reasoned that the microbadge market would probably crumble as well.

This is why rather than buying a microbadge, I short-sold a microbadge. This was a terrible mistake, because it turns out that the demand for microbadges is inelastic. In spite of the huge housing market crash and Wall Street crash, the price of microbadges has been holding firm at 15 GG.

Who could have predicted this? Not me! Short-selling a microbadge made sense at the time because I presumed they'd fall to 5 GG, maybe 6 GG tops. But now I'm on the hook for a microbadge and don't even have 15 GG. Clearly, in order to preserve the strength of our website's economy, I need a "2008 Wall Street GeekGold Bailout" microbadge.

In the worlds of Secretary Paulson: "I can tell you what you can believe. You can believe I believe everything I say."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Varela
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm Nicolas, and I'm a microbadge addict. I own 15 microbadges, and if you check my profile you can see I've ended up with very odd-looking ones... a cigar, a "Z", a christmas present (cutely wrapped up), one that looks like a couple of lungs (after years of smoking, it seems), a couple of eyes, a duck... yes, a duck shake, and... oh, no! A giraffe gulp!!!

And to make things worse, I have one with "42"... you know, the answer to life, the universe and everything. But what the heck is the question??

And you think you have a problem? Gimme a break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldyn Gryphon
United States
Mesquite
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't make bad buying decisions. I have only ever bought one microbadge the other was a gift from Aldie and the rest are all contest badges. I don't need a bail out but thanks for the offer. When I was looking to buy a house five years ago the bank offered to loan me almost twice what I ended up needing. Don't spend geekgold you don't have I am looking at you, you image denying glitch abusing geekgold debtors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
This is the government. I will be financing this out of my pocket change, because I'm too chicken to face my golf buddies. All ad space on the site will double to compensate. That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably shouldn't have gotten that "Better living through chemistry" microbadge. It seemed like a good idea at the time, because my OCD medication basically enables me to live a more or less normal life, but based on the comments I've gotten, I'm afraid to send my BGG profile link any of my family members, lest they think I'm some sort of hopeless dope fiend.

I've thought about deleting it, but then my play-money shopping spree will have been for naught.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't regret either micro badge, but I'm depressed that the people in my fake religion
out numbers my real one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
that microbadge seems to change from a blue chip pick to a junk bond. What were you thinking?

I am only honestly and very very seriously hoping that will never happen with my last MB buy…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't saved up enough for a MB yet (although I'm working on it by modding regularly... I need to do some pics for the game I added, too). I thought this thread would be about bad game-buying decisions. I was ready to tell about buying Greed Quest after being seduced by the Foglio art. (This was in my pre-BGG days. Now I know to research properly!)

Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I shouldn't have bought the "I keep my ratings current" microbadge, because it's obvious that nobody on here really cares that much for game ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK this Copper Geeklist'r badge is something that I really do not think I should have. Go ahead and check out my geeklists. Are these piles of cow poop worth any type of badge?? Come on some people really put a lot of work into their geeklists and they don't have one of these fancy badges. GO AHEAD TAKE A LOOK AT MY CONTRIBUTIONS, did I really "earn that badge". I think NOT! so i need a new one.

VOTE FOR ME!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m currently seeking subprime loans of GG. Trust me this is the investment of the future! Guaranteed money right back into your hands – after your small upfront investment to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.