Subject: Playing time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
To-ju Huang
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
I'm considering to buy Elfenland and find its playing time varies a lot among different gaming groups. BGG says it's 1 hour, Bruno Faidutti's website says it's 2 hour, and it ranges from widely from 30 minutes to 2 hours according to different BGG session reports. Does it strongly depend on the number of players, and also the players' experience on board games? If so, is there a simple estimate based on these factors?

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does depend on both the number of players and their playing style.

On both route planning AND psyching out aspects, you can get a little better result if you bother to consider wider and less obvious options. So players who generally want to play with more chance of winning (either due to competitiveness or just sheer bloody minded OCD like me) are likely to do this. Then if you have my sort of faulty brain it can sometimes turn into several minutes of contemplation. Not always, but sometimes. Alternatively, you can view it as a fairly chaotic exercise (which it is, though "chaos" does not necessarily defy analysis) and all make your choices very quickly on instinct.

With the number of players, everyone has to (a) take their turns to select and place tiles, and (b) execute their routes. Although these things doesn't take very long, more players will of necessity take longer.

I suspect you can reasonably assume a given player will occupy a given amount of time each time they play Elfenland, almost regardless of how many players there are. So four players generally would take "meh about twice as long as two". But I haven't played enough many-player games personally to confirm this.

Since the game is interesting and worth playing from 2 to 6 players (we take two obstruction tiles each with 2 players) the playing time can indeed vary a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.