10 Posts

PitchCar» Forums » Rules

Subject: turn order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugo Spinassi
Argentina
flag msg tools
Can someone tell me if turn order is fix in the entire race or change from first to last as positions change during it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed, that is why you do qualifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
While it is indeed fixed order, I don't agree with the implication that the existence of qualifications 'prove' that. Formula De (often) does qualifications to determine start order as well, but play order *does* change in that game as the race goes on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed?!

I have to read the rules again. I'm under the impression that the player in front each turn goes first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Latimer
England
Blackpool
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone have the definitive answer as it could be either and doesn't seem to appear in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules turn order is fixed, but in my experience (and as far as I am aware most other people too) the game plays better if you change turn order according to position on the track, with the lead car going first. The main disadvantage against sticking to a fixed order is that every now and then you get mixed up (especially when cars start getting lapped), but it seems to add more excitement to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules do not say whether turn order is fixed or not.
The reason to say that it is fixed is that otherwise you would expect it to be explained (fixed turn order is often considered the default)
I prefer non-fixed play order myself though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
schkff wrote:
According to the rules turn order is fixed, but in my experience (and as far as I am aware most other people too) the game plays better if you change turn order according to position on the track, with the lead car going first. The main disadvantage against sticking to a fixed order is that every now and then you get mixed up (especially when cars start getting lapped), but it seems to add more excitement to the game.

I think fixed order is much better--if the person in front always goes first, the odds of them getting into "trouble" at the turns or whatever seems much less likely. Doesn't that just create a runaway leader? Whoever gets the best start then gets to go through the track unimpeded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:
The rules do not say whether turn order is fixed or not.
The reason to say that it is fixed is that otherwise you would expect it to be explained (fixed turn order is often considered the default)

The rules say "Players play in turn" and the turn order is established by qualifying. Whether you like playing a different way or not, the rules do say and otherwise is a house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:

Agree on both, I think the game is supposed to be played with fixed turns BUT it plays so much better if every round the cars play according to their position in the race!

At least ALL the groups I have played with prefer this variable turn order. Overtaking becomes much more important/exciting, we've had many close finish races with people cheering after each bend during the last lap! Even when reaching on 2nd/3rd place to the last bend you may have a chance to win if you take the bend better than the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.