flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an open thread to determine the value of the 18 blank cards
10 blank worlds
7 blank developments
1 'special' blank contest entry

There is a chance that I want access to more than the 18 blank cards which will be included in the game, and wanted to get a sense of the expected value.

Some parameters:
1) The absolute upper bound is the cost of a new expansion. The presumption is that the expansion will be readily available.

2) The lower bound is of course 'FREE', shipping would be negotiated, though I wouldn't expect much more than a small padded envelope and appropriate first class postage.

I'm soliciting opinions from the other direction as well, which is 'how much would you pay for the following elements:
23 new printed cards (including start worlds and the replacement gambling world)
5th player action cards
new VP chips
bonus tile sheets
'solo dice' and accompanying bits

If we assume a zero sum equation of "blank + printed == constant", it's the same question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byrnes
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
I'm soliciting opinions from the other direction as well, which is 'how much would you pay for the following elements:
23 new printed cards (including start worlds and the replacement gambling world)
5th player action cards
new VP chips
bonus tile sheets

Exactly the price that is currently being asked. The blank cards have no value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Monotone wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
5th player action cards
new VP chips
bonus tile sheets

So, if you get a set, you'd sell me the blank cards for just S+H?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:

That's sort of a leading statement. I would put it differently:

If you could buy the base set for $X and had the option of getting it with the blank cards for an additional cost, how much additional would you be willing to pay to ALSO get the blank cards. Many would decline to pay anything and would choose the regular set because, as he suggested (and I'm not a complainer but I agree), the blank cards don't have value for a large number of people. If the price was another $2 to get blank cards, I still would likely decline as I have no interest in customizing my game nor do I have any game-design know-how to make something worthy of submitting.

As I have no choice, I will be purchasing the set with the blank cards because I love the game and I don't care about all the bickering about the value etc (the game is great, so it has high value, end of story), but let's not pretend that the blank cards should be considered value-added for all but the most serious fanatics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Chaaaarge!!
badge
First Image Ever of a Hydrogen Atom's Electron Cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
Monotone wrote:

Well, just because it's worth nothing to him doesn't mean he won't charge someone else money, if *they* find value in it. The buyer's valuation after all influences the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
zurn wrote:
Well, just because it's worth nothing to him doesn't mean he won't charge someone else money, if *they* find value in it. The buyer's valuation after all influences the price.

And more importantly, since he had to pay for the set which included paying for those blank cards, whether he sees value gained from them, there's unquestionably value invested in them regardless, so he should expect to be able to get some return for them as well as his time and effort of shipping them off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
For one thing, the blanks can be used as replacement cards if a real one is munched or lost.

Also, since everyone getting the expansion has these blank cards, it increases the chance that someone will find something useful (and possibly even game-related) to do with them.

If the creator publicizes the new use, the value/cost of blank cards will go up, so perhaps it is better to hold on to the currently near valueless cards on the off chance that they will gain in value, either to the game or on the open market in the future.

Externalities, free-rider effect, and all sorts of other economic principles can be explained through the example of blank RftG cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
zurn wrote:

And more importantly, since he had to pay for the set which included paying for those blank cards, whether he sees value gained from them, there's unquestionably value invested in them regardless, so he should expect to be able to get some return for them as well as his time and effort of shipping them off.

The other things are true. This (emphasis added) is not, and is called the sunk cost fallacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Aquino
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
You can't have my blanks.. but I'll let you know what I would be willing to pay for them (and only them).

$25? - No way

$18? - $1/card just for blanks? No, thanks.

$10? - Not out of the question, but probably no.

$4? - I'd say this is my definite buy price where I wouldn't feel bad. (Who needs that gallon of gas anyway when you've got the shoe leather express) Anything below this is 'for sure'. And I'd say $6-7 is the breaking point between yes and no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byrnes
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
onigame wrote:

Mail me a stamp and you can have them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monotone wrote:
onigame wrote:

Mail me a stamp and you can have them.

Address?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Holm
United States
Rio Rancho
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let x(_) be the worth of the eighteen blanks according to __
Let y(_) be the worth of the rest of the box according to __
Let z(_) be x(_) + y(_)

z(actual retail)= $25, as I understand things

y(Islander) = 4 * z(actual retail), although I suppose it is possible that y(other people) may vary substantially, due to fundamentally unknowable factors.

x(Islander) = some non-negative non-zero value. Equates to delicious icing on an already exquisitely crafted 3-tier cake, with bubble gum and space lasers on top.

Therefore: a copy of this will be mine before the weekend is out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Burnside
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
One thing people seem to be glossing over is this:

Card decks are printed on sheets - I believe the sheet that's used for this game is a 5x11 or 6x9 sheet, yielding 54 or 55 cards.

When doing expansions and trying to avoid card streakiness, there are interesting constraints to be worked out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Right now I know what the 1st expansion looks like. I could play right now if I had a way to scribble on card-fronts without destroying any cards I care about. So suddenly I flip-from from wanting 0 gambling worlds, to wanting 55 gambling worlds, so that I can play Gathering Storm before it arrives in the FLGS!

When the 2nd expansion comes out, those 18 blank cards are going to come in mighty handy for trying out some of the new ideas before they hit store shelves.

So I estimate the value of the blanks in terms of time and not money: 3-4 weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
byronczimmer wrote:
This is an open thread to determine the value of the 18 blank cards
10 blank worlds
7 blank developments
1 'special' blank contest entry

The actual breakup is:
1 of each production worlds (can be either military or normal)
1 of each windfall worlds (can be either military or normal)
2 grey worlds (can be either military or normal)

3 6-cost developments
4 blank developments

1 entry card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erm, excuse me, chaps, but isn't the buying and selling of pieces of paper that have little inherent worth in and of themselves (paper which has different worth to different people, and *might* one day be worth something depending upon what happens to those pieces of paper - and especially what happens to their perceived value - in the meantime) something could, as we speak, bring an end to the world's economy as we know it?

Circumspection is called for in these financially precarious times, lest "Old Earth" become a "Doomed World" through the introduction of the new 0-cost Development "Sub Prime Lending" when the 3-cost Development "Collateral Debt Obligations" is already in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.