Gary James
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you help out a colour blind player? What elevation is hex 4-B12? It is a wooded hex but it looks to me as though there may be L2 ground colour around it?

Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brugato
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
Nullum gratuitum prandium.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like level 1 to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall correctly, there isn't any L2 elevation with wooded hexes, so I would also say it's L1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that really depends. It depends if you are a rules lawyer (like arguing), or if you like playing games.

A rules lawyer would say that the center of the hex has woods, and this is good, because the gamer would also say this. We are fortunate that Uwe had the foresight to KNOW this kind of challenge would come up, so he has made sure that all terrain types (except for bridges, where there is some dissent) that he intended to be hex wide covers the center dot.

Unfortunately, we have no such ruling for elevation. Does having a very small area of L2 in a hex make it L2? Is the elevation that covers the predominant area of the hex the level of the hex, or is it where the dot is again?

To me (not liking to argue, liking to play) the color in hex B12 looks like a L1 hill surrounding the forest and in between, so I would say its a L1 hill with forest on it.

I think the intent is that hexes are of the elevation that dominates the hex. A12 is a L1 hex, not a L0 hex.

Lets hope you guys don't have to play with rules lawyers as often as I do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Gary, Good call. In the original computer files it is easy to distinguish. 4-B12 is level 1 with woods on it. The tree shadows do look very much like L2 terrain. I guess there was too much artistic dabbling going on. I will repremand the artist.

NO BEER FOR UWE TONIGHT!

There, it is taken care of.

Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WEI-CHENG CHENG
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What make me confused is B4-D07 a L1 or not?
Since the rule book says it is a L2 in page 7 figure 22.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
presence wrote:
...Unfortunately, we have no such ruling for elevation....

But we have! 11.3: "An elevation level covering the center dot of a hex fills the entire hex even if the artwork does not (just like other terrain)."

Lutz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silvanus321 wrote:

Does it? Hex 1 is 4-D05 (level 2), and 4-D07 is a lightly wooded level 1 hex in Fig. 22, as it should be. At least the current rules have that correctly. And they do not mention any hex designation explicitly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WEI-CHENG CHENG
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PunTheHun wrote:
silvanus321 wrote:

Does it? Hex 1 is 4-D05 (level 2), and 4-D07 is a lightly wooded level 1 hex in Fig. 22, as it should be. At least the current rules have that correctly. And they do not mention any hex designation explicitly.

The current rule states as following

"Ex: Hex 1 can see hex 7, but not 8. Hex 1 can see 11, 12, and 13. Walls are not obstacles. Hex 1 cannot see anything beyond hex 9, because 9 is also L2 and considered the same level."

If hex 9 is a L1, hex 1 has no blind spot at hexes after hex 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules may be a bit confusing in this matter, but essentially a wooded hex (or building hex) is considered to be a level of elevation higher for LOS purposes for hexes trying to see over it.

So for a hex with woods on L1, for units moving into the hex, or firing into or out of the hex, it's L1. But for someone trying to fire -over- that hex, you consider it L2. Basically you're looking at what the elevation is for the ground and what it is for the tops of the trees. The tops of the trees, or top of the building, is always considered to be one level of elevation above the ground that it's on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WEI-CHENG CHENG
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James.
I noticed that in 11.3 (page.6) the rule states that L1 hill + L1 wood = L2 obstacle.
So you're definitely right.
Hex 9 is a L2 obstacle not L1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.