Subject: Perfect with TTR: Switzerland? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to this, because it would make my copy of Ticket to Ride: Switzerland much more portable. Currently if I want to play the Switzerland map, I have to lug around the expansion AND the giant box that is TTR: Europe, for the trains and train cards. With the Dice expansion, I just need to bring dice, bring the Switzerland box, and bring 2-3 bags of trains. I can fit the dice and trains into the Switzerland box by throwing away the pretty useless cardboard insert, or stuffing them in another game box.

But of course, I just traded away Switzerland, so it's moot for me. Just throwing it out there as a suggestion for all of you who love the Switzerland map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep my Swiss board and cards in the same box with Europe, albeit with Europe's plastic tray removed. But I like your thinking of the economy of dice fitting in that skinny Swiss box.

I thought you were gonna to talk about how well Dice Expansion plays with the Swiss game. I think the official dice stink with it. But my variant dice fit quite well. (As a self-aggrandizing suggestion *smile*)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that's a great idea. I was originally going to transfer my small cards from TTR over (still in shrink since I bought the 1910 expansion at the same time), but dice... Now we're talking. I think I'll make my own though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
According to Tom Vasel's review, Dice doesn't play well at all with Switzerland or even Nordic. Seems it plays best with USA and Europe.

This is due to the fact the routes are shorter so it seems to be easier to roll a match and the leftovers convert to tokens which can be used later making it even easier to match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't studied the rules at all, and won't have time to watch the review until later (I have a lot of trouble watching videos on my computer), but that doesn't sound like a bad thing to me. It seems like the game just plays differently, not necessarily worse? Because everybody will be more flexible with placements, with the tokens. One of my favorite parts about Switzerland is that you can't hoard train cards for too long (like you can with USA or Europe), because the 1-routes make it very easy for your opponent to block you once you start building (since she would have hoarded train cards too). Is something similar - a different strategic element - happening with Dice in Switzerland?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
According to Tom Vasel's review, Dice doesn't play well at all with Switzerland or even Nordic. Seems it plays best with USA and Europe.

This is due to the fact the routes are shorter so it seems to be easier to roll a match and the leftovers convert to tokens which can be used later making it even easier to match.

Having mocked up a quick game with Switzerland and then with Europe earlier this evening, I agree with him. I'm not going to be purchasing this...it makes for an interesting variant for Europe, but it's not fun with Switzerland. And as Tom says, it takes away a huge strategy element...I'd also argue that it makes the game more complicated...color matching is easy to do and easy to understand...the dice and markers just add extra rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
selwyth wrote:
but that doesn't sound like a bad thing to me. It seems like the game just plays differently, not necessarily worse?

From what I understand, and this is just my interpretation of what he said, your better off ditching the dice and just placing trains, one route at a time, on your turn. You'll have the same effect. In other words, there is little strategy and it is just a race to get your trains out. The only element of "strategy" would be rolling destination cards and drawing them to either keep or discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Righto. That, combined with me reading the BGN review, has convinced me not to buy the Dice expansion. I had been hoping the Dice expansion would reduce "hoarding downtime" (when people just hoard cards at the beginning of the game, and nothing really happens), which is the biggest gripe of TTR-haters I've seen, but the dice seem to introduce brand new problems of their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.